Sweet sixteen surprises

Linkat

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 01:07 pm
My daughter is hitting that milestone. She wanted a special party, but being in fall, we had to do an indoor type of one. She didn't want the dressing up sort of thing, but something fund.

We have the venue - Dave and Busters - not really a fan, but the room they have is nice and they have been very accomodating letting us pretty much do whatever we want as long as we have a minimum amount of people and purchase one of their packages - actually surprisingly very reasonable.

So here is the thing - we have it for 4 hours - they get some money on a card to play video games on the floor; food, we bring cake - plan on doing a slide show of my daughter growing with her friends in it on their TV, and karoke.

Any thoughts to add to this - special little gifts for her friends attending/decorations...
I found this cool template for playing cards and am going to put pictures on it of her and her friends to give out. What sort of paper do you use with it - it is photo matte that is most like playing cards?

Any other ideas.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 974 • Replies: 10
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 02:00 pm
@Linkat,
16!!?

Holy cow, time flies.

I'd use the heaviest weight glossy photo paper I could find.

Glossy has the slick surface you'll want for playing cards.

0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 02:57 pm
@Linkat,
Might get some good ideas here:

http://blog.sweet16partystore.com/category/100-sweet-16-party-ideas/

Is it going to be co-ed or just girlfriends? Do they have a common interest, such as basketbal,l or is it a mixed bag of interests?
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 02:59 pm
@Linkat,
Might get some good ideas here:

http://blog.sweet16partystore.com/category/100-sweet-16-party-ideas/

http://www.circleofmoms.com/question/what-ideas-sweet-16-birthday-party-1702195

Is it going to be co-ed or just girlfriends? Do they have a common interest, such as basketball, or is it a mixed bag of interests?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 03:24 pm
@Butrflynet,
It is going to be co-ed - we plan on having the iphones plugged in for music and dancing.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 03:32 pm
@Butrflynet,
Funny some of the ideas listed we had thought of -- or are actually doing...the karoke - D&B actually is really helpful - they are trying to help me out to see how we can hook up my machine to their TV - as it is surround sound and a bit different than the normal hook up.

I thought of the candy bar sort of thing - depends on how much time I have. I will see if the glossy works on both sides - isn't that how cards are - I think I've only seen one sided glossy.

We were orignally going to do laser tag/go carts and then have a room for dancing and food - but the place was going to stop the go carts before our party (outdoors too cold) and the laser tag is going to be turned into a haunted house for October.

She didn't want paint ball as we suggested and D&B was so helpful and the room is really nice - they do all the tables up with the colors you want in cloth (rather than cheap paper) - the room looks really nice and it over looks the floor where all the video games are -- you can close the shades if you want so no one can look in the room. Just a better nice set up and food choices are perfect for the age group.

So since she was part of the planning and she did up her own invitations - I wanted to make a few surprises for her. Fun - I found some old school papers and things I plan on putting out - thoughts on how to display them? I found one that she wrote I don't know how old she was where said I like or love and then wrote the boys name -- some of the kids coming will know him so I find that funny to place out. I also have a couple of notes/pictures she made when she was young that was supposed to be given to a couple of girls coming - thought it would be fun to surprise them with this gift.
Butrflynet

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 04:16 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
Fun - I found some old school papers and things I plan on putting out - thoughts on how to display them?

Hang them on clothes hangers with some clothes pins. Then you can put the hangers around the room to keep the crowd from clumping together around one spot.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 04:23 pm
@Linkat,
Do you have any videos or photos of her in various vehicles through the years? You could do a timeline around the room of her progression from tricycles to training wheels to scooters to go carts to bumper cars and culminate in a gift of the motor vehicle code booklet, maps, seat belts, and a few photos of not so gently used cars in recognition of her coming of age and eminent license for driving.
boomerang

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2014 06:42 pm
Could you scan in the school papers and photos and make a slide show?

That would be fun!

I've been looking at tutorials on making decks of cards and it's a complicated process. The best advice seems to be using linen card stock, a laser printer (not an ink jet) and spraying it with a fixative before cutting them.
Linkat

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2014 07:49 am
@Butrflynet,
cute idea - I might have some - and love the idea of the motor vehicle thing - we are running into a problem of not being able to get her into a class yet as they meet every Saturday and she has practice every Saturday.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2014 07:56 am
@boomerang,
I thought I would use the laser printer I have at work - it is huge - after working hours.

Although we have a good quality printer which I am pretty sure is a laser - we did her invitations on them - they were postcard style with a couple of toddler pictures - used glossy photo paper and they came out great.

I am going to do a slide show - I think I need to cut down the pictures. I was going to do via a theme - baby/baby family/young school/young friends/young family/teen friends/teen family/basketball - from very young to high school/softball from very young to high school/ and try to get appropriate music to go with each - like with softball maybe Sweet Caroline - Red Sox fans would appreciate. From the baby - growing up Made in the USA song by a girl band my daughter loves. Like that.

I was thinking the papers cannot really be read in a slide show - so thought they being placed around the room would give a chance to view - I also have some art work from grade school one of which won an award - so thought that would be fun as well.
0 Replies