Who is tech savy? Hook up karoke to TV?

Linkat

Mon 22 Sep, 2014 01:22 pm
Hey - I am planning a 16 party. I am renting a room within a facility that has a big 60 inch flat screen TV. The TV has capibility to hook up a lap top but we wanted to have some karoke going on.

My karoke has three prongs with three different colors that I can hook into my TV so you can see the words and music come out from the TV rather than the little machine.

Their TV does not have the prong thingys (you can tell I have no idea what all this tech stuff is called). Any way -- they have some sort of one prong thingy like you hook up a headphone to - the party coordinator is not techy either, and the techie person didn't have much time to explain things today.

So they thought there could be some sort of adaptor - 8 inch cord adapter or something that should work.

Anyone have an idea if this makes sense? What you could use?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,118 • Replies: 12
Topic Closed
No top replies

engineer

Mon 22 Sep, 2014 02:35 pm
@Linkat,
Your karaoke machine has an RCA jack. There are almost certainly more connections on the TV then what you found.Look for something that looks like a cable TV input jack. You might be able to do something with that.

How does the laptop hook up?
Linkat

Mon 22 Sep, 2014 02:50 pm
@engineer,
I haven't actually seen the hook ups the TV has --- the party coordinator had checked with their tech person and they said they do not have anything like that on the TV. That they have something like a mircophone sort of one prong hook up.

They have an adapter that they can use to hook up a lap top - the room is made for presentations/parties so that the TV is used for multipurpose.

the problem being is I am speaking with a non-tech person (and I am non-tech) so I am not directly talking with the tech guy or what they call the multipurpose or whatever the heck.
engineer

Mon 22 Sep, 2014 03:07 pm
@Linkat,
I'm just brainstorming here, but it could be that the TV is mounted so you cannot get to it and they have a laptop cable threaded out to the room. Just about any TV made in the last twenty years will have an RCA input. It's not state of the art, but it is ubiquitous for thinks like you sound machine, video games, etc. It will look something like this.
http://www.samsung.com/us/system/support/content/2012/11/02/h8744/AUX_inputs.jpg

Besides that, every TV will have a cable hookup. Something like this.
http://www.samsung.com/us/system/support/content/2007/06/22/h49/coax_connection.jpg

If you can't get to those, you will need an RCA to VGA adapter.
engineer

Mon 22 Sep, 2014 03:13 pm
@engineer,
I looked around the internet for "RGA to VGA adapter" and you have options but without seeing the actual setup I can't recommend one. Try Radio Shack. Take the music machine with you. Note that most adapters go the other way, from VGA to RCA (because just about all TV's have RCA jacks.)
Linkat

Mon 22 Sep, 2014 03:25 pm
@engineer,
Yeah I had planned on going to radio shack tomorrow and ask them. The place offered (well the party planner she tries to be helpful - the tech guy seems grumbly and doesn't want to spend the time) - to let me try it out ahead of time.

I did see something like that online - had a connection like you showed in the picture.
Linkat

Mon 22 Sep, 2014 03:34 pm
@Linkat,
http://files.cablewholesale.com/hires/30h1-50300.jpg

Is this what I am looking at - if so it costs like 3 or 4 bucks.
Linkat

Mon 22 Sep, 2014 03:37 pm
@Linkat,
I will also shoot an email to party coordinator to see if she can get me the hook up name from their side.
0 Replies

engineer

Mon 22 Sep, 2014 04:16 pm
@Linkat,
I think this works and Radio Shack should have one. Nice find.
Linkat

Tue 23 Sep, 2014 05:10 am
@engineer,
thanks for your help.
0 Replies

Linkat

Thu 25 Sep, 2014 12:19 pm
@engineer,
well it was a one prong thingy he needed. but not really for the TV -- they have surround sound so you can't hook up to the TV at least for the sound part. I went in the tech type guy managed to make it work so it is a go.
engineer

Thu 25 Sep, 2014 12:29 pm
@Linkat,
Great! Wish I could be there. Nothing better than signing karaoke to embarrass teenage girls. We could do a "Let it Go" duet.
Linkat

Thu 25 Sep, 2014 01:47 pm
@engineer,
Ha I did see a karaoke version of it...now the parents have to only be there in the background -- like wallpaper or something we are not to speak or move in any way that some one could notice there is an adult in the area.
0 Replies