Buy & Selling Art

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 10:00 pm
Quinn this would be a great topic for the next art chat. We have got to finish the high rennisance first though, is that even possible, nah. But we will have to move on. I am going to art deco now.

We get in there talk about so many things.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 10:17 pm
LW you are talking about a book when you mentioned, Arnason. I am pretty sure there is a sculptor with a similar last name. Maybe if I describe the work you will remember the artist. He is from San Fran, works in clay, the city commissioned him to do a bust of Mayor Masconi, I thought it was fabulous but the mayor's wife did not like it. He also does a lot of funny stuff like his buttocks in clay turned into a red heart and wonderful anti war things.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 10:29 pm
Finally I found this I have been thinking about it for days no weeks trying to remember the name of Robert Arneson. When I sold my library I lost my mind I think or maybe the other way around.

Robert Arneson
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 11:14 pm
investment
LW, in your modified poll shouldn't have "none of the above" as your bottom choice?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 12:01 am
On the poll, I can't answer. I think the examples are legitimate; although I too do not think of Close as photorealistic, his work is certainly legitimate. I would be unlikely to buy a photorealistic painting, but it is possible, not of the examples shown, but some example sometime. I am trying to remember one I liked, maybe James Turrell, if I have the name right.

I love photos for themselves and would rather have them than many paintings, and would conversely rather have many paintings than many photos (in the case of the examples you can have the paintings and the photos) So I can't say none or all.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 12:07 am
Hmm, not the James Turrell I remember...I must be mixing him up.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 12:12 am
OK, anyone remember who had done a photorealistic painting of a complex freeway underpass?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 12:20 am
OK chagned the poll again maybe I should just delete it?

Now ossobuco off in quest of photo realistic painting of a complex free way overpass.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 12:35 am
http://www.scottsdalearts.org/images/Public_Art.gif

The Path Most Traveled...,
Carolyn Braaksma?

Six miles of the Pima Freeway/ Loop 101
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 09:55 am
investment
Where's that, JD, Phoenix?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 3 Jan, 2003 10:50 am
Good eye JLN, here is a bit from the artists bio:

In early 1996, the state of Arizona elected to eliminate funds which supported aesthetic enhancements in freeway projects in order to speed construction of Arizona Department of Transportation project underway. During the same year, the City of Scottsdale elected to fund aesthetic components which included artist designed elements, railings, paving, and enhanced landscaping. Including an artist's designed motif, landscaping, and enhanced artistic/ design components is in keeping with the City's desire to afford its citizens and visitors with the highest quality of life possible.

Denver artist Carolyn Braaksma was chosen through a public art competition as the project's design team artist. In 1996, Braaksma and the project design team began conducting community workshops to gather input in order to develop an appropriate design concept for the community.

A desert theme was created which includes cacti, desert flora and fauna, lizards and an abstracted Native American inspired motif. At certain places along the freeway, the walls reach nearly 50 feet high, as the road goes below grade. Rather than a barren concrete canyon, Scottsdale's Pima Freeway is adorned with a beautiful and complex pattern featuring some 90 distinct images including prickly pear cacti that reach 40 feet in height and giant lizards 67 feet in length.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2003 08:52 pm
sorry, wrong thread.
0 Replies