Buy & Selling Art

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 07:53 pm
Do Artists or Art Dealers Create the market for certains works for example Louis K. Meilsel and Photorealism

Meisel

Richard Estes
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,917 • Replies: 31
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 08:19 pm
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/ISI/12854.jpg

Robert Estes

http://www.mamfw.org/collect_jpg/judy.jpg

Chuck Close, Museum of Modern Art, Fort Worth

http://artregister.com/SeavestIntroductiontoCollection/Images/GoingsRelish.jpeg

Ralph Goings
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 08:46 pm
Of course, photorealism is a tour-de-force of technique but it is the subject matter and what is visually communicated that counts. They actually go beyond what a camera is capable of capturing which rather shocks the viewer to explore the picture plane with a more inquisitive eye. They are master of composition and that is important in the impact of their work. Here we go again about using photographs which these artists readily admit to using. That's the point -- they are revealing they use photographs. They would be consider master photographers if that was the artform they preferred.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 08:48 pm
BTW, I don't really see Chuck Close as a photorealist -- his images are surreal and based on very complex patterns that draw more out of computer imaging than conventional photography.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 08:56 pm
Chuck Close the father of Photorealism?

More Chuck

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:alP05lpCm0wC:capitolchoices.communitypoint.org/images/resources/editions/chuck_close_lg.gif
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 09:01 pm
Photorealism has been an evolving and changing subject for years. Being a shutter bug myself I have a great interest in this area, and I also shoot to someday go to watercolor. I believe that both photographers and painters are very visual and that visual creativity can really only progress into something that blends with one another in some way or form. I also think that with the introduction of computers there is a great new form of photorealism, although I tend to think it is more artistic in caliber than photographic, still the start point is important. It does however have more of a gray area when considering surreal and realism, due to its abilities and characteristics alone.
I have a favorite who does oils..Ill have to find an example...I would buy them, and in fact I very much enjoy them.
Do I think Artists or Art Dealers create a market...well, firstly Art Dealers..its their job. Artists tend to do more of what they envision and leave the marketing up to the dealers.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 09:13 pm
That would be great Q1, I think it was Stieglist that introduced or melded photography and painting. Realistically I think the reason we don't have portrait painters any more is because photo portraits are better. Now we know what famous people look like in a more realistic way.

At the National Portrait Gallery in D.C. they have all the President's paintings through Richard Nixon. With the Jimmy Carter administration they started with photos.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 09:15 pm
Still find Chuck Close so unique that I can't classify him with the other photorealists and I don't believe he's influenced one of them. In order to be a father of a genre, there has to be a connection with the art that follows. I don't see the connection other that the realism and even Close's realism isn't objectively real.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 09:17 pm
I have to admit I don't understand the poll question. Would I buy what?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 09:20 pm
I agree LW but those links are what I found. I did not know he was disabled though until I read the bio. He does use the photograph to creat though. Maybe Meisel did it, named Chuck Close the father he certainly crowned himself as the founder, mentor, and facilitator while making his millions.

I was trying to find the gumball photo, any one remember who painted it.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 09:22 pm
investment
Osso, I too did not understand the poll, so I didn't answer it. But after reading the threads I suppose the object of purchase is photorealistic art. If so, NEVER, not even as an investment!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 09:23 pm
Um, maybe that is because it does not make sense. Will try to correct them, thanks guys. Embarrassed

Is that better? Let me know?

I figured it out, how to change a poll Shocked well it was easy that is for sure I can do it again. Very Happy
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 09:28 pm
JLN never ever are you sure?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 09:31 pm
Alice Dalton Brown

http://www.arismacart.com/catalogue/thumbs_s/prints_s/gallery_s/2320.jpg

I like some of Goings stuff..more Relish and..whats the other one..ketchup I think? The diner stuff most people like.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 09:36 pm
Wow Q that is gorgeous I can feel the breeze. Do you think you could achieve the same depth of field with a camera the same realism, did I say that? You will know what I mean I think.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 09:41 pm
Warhol used photographs, using an enlarger to project them onto a photo-emulsion coated silk screen. Just using photographs doesn't make the final product "photorealistic," although Close's earlier work was more photorealistic in the purest sense. I just find he was always headed off in a different direction that the other photorealists. This really is a genre that goes back to the late 60's and early 70's with magic realism. It's desire was to give the illusion that the objects in the picture were actually there and had an uncanny 3D illusion. Still life was the usual subject matter of the magic realists. Wade Reynolds in the 60's and 70's was a San Francisco artist who painted in a photorealistic technique, utilitzing some of the light contrast effects of Rembrandt. Arnason begins chapter 25 in History of Modern Art with an article on The New Illusionism. A Robert Estes image in black-and-white is the inserted visual. Lucian Frued is also featured -- his early images have a very photographic quality to them. Marcel Duchamp even proceeded all of them in producting a body of images that looks very photorealistic.

Chuck Close chose to paint in huge scale -- a face is often the size of an entire human body!

And that's the pluralistic 70's for you -- trying to find a genre actually created in that decade is nearly impossible.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 09:43 pm
Chuch Arnason, I love his stuff
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 09:44 pm
Brown certainly has a Wyeth influence -- when I was with a gallery in San Juan Capistrano in the late 60's, there was a rash of California artists painting in watercolor and drybrush we were showing that looked very Wyeth.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 09:48 pm
BTW, Jaime Wyeth painted the John Kennedy portrait hanging in Washington. There is still a demand for portrait painters, if for anything, the prestige of having a portrait painted (if you can afford a top notch painter).
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2003 09:54 pm
Some of the first photography was of city scenes projected onto walls, which were then painted with these details. I think it is photorealistic. It you want to talk about the classification given to works of art only that fall into this realm, then, okay...but, lets make that distinction.
I think if we search into Art Deco movement we would also find a great many photorealistic artists.
One could also argue that still lifes of the ages are photorealistic and there we open up a whole lot of available examples.
0 Replies