Curiouser and Curiouser / Was Chalabi a Spy for Iran?

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 07:41 am
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1224075,00.html

Quote:
An urgent investigation has been launched in Washington into whether Iran played a role in manipulating the US into the Iraq war by passing on bogus intelligence through Ahmad Chalabi's Iraqi National Congress, it emerged yesterday.

Some intelligence officials now believe that Iran used the hawks in the Pentagon and the White House to get rid of a hostile neighbour, and pave the way for a Shia-ruled Iraq.

What do YOU think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 899 • Replies: 17
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 07:56 am
I think all kinds of nefariousness had to fall into place for Iraq to have happened. I could believe this one... but not as an excuse for Bush. If there were seeds of deception, they fell on exceptionally fallow ground.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 07:57 am
I think Bush is busy watering those seeds.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 07:58 am
Quote:
but not as an excuse for Bush

I don't perceive it as an excuse for Bush. What I am saying is that the entire situation is much more multilayered than I believe anyone imagined!
0 Replies

perception

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 07:59 am
Phoenix

What a masterful plot if true-----and------Richard Perle, one of Chalabis prime backers, will have a platter of egg on his face.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 08:00 am
I think it's multilayered, to be sure.

But I think many people have thought it was for a long time, even without the specifics re: Chalabi.

Yep, watering and fertilizing, wiz.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 08:04 am
(Btw I'm not sure if I used "fallow" right... I mean that it was soil that was all primed and ready to grow any seed that drifted its way. The Bush administration wanted to invade Iraq, for many reasons; and were eager to find justification, weak or downright deceptive as it may have been.)
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 08:17 am
It's an interesting story, but I'm not sure it really explains how so many nations came to the same conclusion about conditions in Iraq, unless they all used the INC information.

On another note, I find it amusing that many lefties hate George HW Bush for failing to go to Baghdad and take out Saddam during Operation Desert Storm, and also hate his son because he did go to Baghdad and take out Saddam.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 08:20 am
What lefties are those?
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 10:55 am
I think the most obvious information we got from him were the lines of "welcomed as liberators" and flowers thrown at our feet. Which made the Bushies think that the reconstruction would be easy and it would pay for itself. Neither of which was true. I don't anyone doubted that we could get saddam hussien and Iraq and most people thought he had weapons of mass destruction which is why they had those suits on in the beginning and everyone thought they would be chemically attacked. When they were not, it surprised the whole world, I think?

No one denies that getting saddam out of power was not a good thing. It is just that it had absolutely nothing to do with 9/11 any way you slice it. Which is what we should have been concentrating all our energy on.

I am aware of the trickle down theory of the Iraq terrorist threat. It is just that we can't go after everyone on earth who might or might not give weapons to terrorist. Furthermore, Palestinian militants are not the terrorist that we have to worry about and as far as I am aware those were the only terrorist that saddam gave money to and that in my opinion was just to suck up to the arab world. I am so tired of arguing about whether we should have or should not have gone to Iraq. We are there now so we got deal with it.

Bush must of changed his mind about the UN since he is seeking a UN resolution to help with the reconstruction. They may not be perfect, but they could hardly do worse.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 11:11 am
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This from The Australian:

our news.com.au network Source: AFP
back PRINT-FRIENDLY VERSION EMAIL THIS STORY

Iran 'may have duped US into war'
From correspondents in London
May 25, 2004
US officials suspect Iran duped the US into invading Iraq by slipping bogus intelligence to Ahmed Chalabi's Iraqi National Congress (INC), The Guardian newspaper reported today.

"Some intelligence officials now believe that Iran used the hawks in the Pentagon and the White House to get rid of a hostile neighbour and pave the way for a Shia-ruled Iraq," it said in a front-page dispatch from Washington.

Quoting a US intelligence official, whom it did not name, The Guardian said Chalabi's intelligence chief Ara Kariim Habibi had been a paid by Iranian agent for several years, "passing intelligence in both directions".

"It's pretty clear that Iranians had us for breakfast, lunch and dinner," it quoted an intelligence source in Washington as saying. "Iranian intelligence has been manipulating the US for several years through Chalabi."

A US official said on Friday the US was investigating evidence Chalabi gave sensitive information to Tehran, after authorities last week raided INC offices and Chalabi's home in Baghdad, seizing documents, computers, personal belongings and weapons.

Chalabi, whose INC was a Pentagon favourite and a prime source for intelligence about Saddam Hussein's regime, strongly denied in weekend media interviews that he passed sensitive US secrets to Tehran

panzade

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 11:15 am
Tar, I always believed that Bush the elder was a great President for not taking Saddam out. Junior just proves what a debacle that would have been. Oyes...the apple fell very far from the tree.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 12:46 pm
Yes ---but this apple got all the backbone the tree lacked.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 02:16 pm
LOL! Actually Bush the Elder had a UN mandate to get Saddam out of Kuwait, but nothing more. That didn't stop his opponents from swarming around and biting his ankles though.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 02:22 pm
What good is a backbone without a brain.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 04:02 pm
Bush the elder never had to deal with a 9/11 either.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 04:32 pm
Are you still hinting at a 9/11 Iraq link?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 04:37 pm
I didn't want Bush the first in Iraq the first time.
0 Replies