Scooters - Anyone got one?

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 05:21 am
I'm thinking of buying a scooter later this year - probably a new model Vespa 125cc.

Does anyone here at A2K have a scooter, or have an opinion about them?

To try and pre-empt the posts I know will come about motorbikes - I don't want one. I'd end up killing myself.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,520 • Replies: 25
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 05:25 am
I don't have one, but we have a sweet Vespa shop here in Toronto that is fun to browse in.

http://www.martiniboys.com/pages/reviews/motoretta.htm

http://www.motoretta.ca/
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 05:36 am
If I ever manage to get across the Atlantic, Cav, I'd love to go to Toronto and the scooter shop seems like a another good reason to go.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 06:00 am
I had a 100 CC Vespa a long time ago when I was in India !! They are fun - but not sure abt UK roads - In India tonnes of people ride on scooters so the traffic is geared up for it, here, well I dont want to voice my opinion abt scooter/motorbike drivers for the fear of getting banned Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 06:08 am
Let me guess G - it's the habit they have of overtaking/undertaking cars and leaving them sitting in a queue of traffic that winds you up? :wink: Freedom! Laughing
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 06:09 am
And the fact that despite such lovely bodies, they keep their face masked so I cant lech Twisted Evil
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 06:13 am
Grand Duke wrote:
If I ever manage to get across the Atlantic, Cav, I'd love to go to Toronto and the scooter shop seems like a another good reason to go.

I actually did a Christmas catering for the company that designed the store.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 03:28 am
My wife has a Kymco 150 people scooter that is probably the best scooter I've ever seen engineered, built, or riden. The seating position is perfect for her at 5'2" and for me at 6'1". The brakes are superior to my Honda Shadow, and there is storage everywhere. It has a vaguely retro look, but not like the Vespa. I've placed an image below. The biggest single factor I liked about it was that it could do 75 mph and more with ME on the bike. It made it completely versatile as a highway bike, as well as a puddle-jumping scooter.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 03:55 am
I must be the only motorcycle rider/lover here. What's wrong with you people?
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 05:00 am
I love motor bikes !! Don't get me wrong !! I only dont like them when I am sitting in my car Twisted Evil
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 05:07 am
I've had a Vespa Piaggo 50cc, a Yamaha 50cc and a Honda Helix 250cc with a 3 speed automatic (fast). The small wheels make them handle poorly and the bigger one combines small wheels and a pretty big wheel base, which makes it handle even worse. If you ride a real motorcycle like an adult, it's a lot safer. Drivers of cars tend to not see bikes, so it's a good idea to have good handling, brakes and acceleration... to avoid being killed. Of course, I just put a 60cc motor on a Beach Cruiser Bicycle so I obviously don't practice what I preach. Just thought I'd share my thoughts.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 07:04 am
Gautam wrote:
I love motor bikes !! Don't get me wrong !! I only dont like them when I am sitting in my car Twisted Evil

And I don't like cars when I'm sitting on my bike. And when I have to get back in the car, I hate the fact that I'm just another one of those f@ckwits on four wheels! Very Happy
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 02:14 am
There are several reasons why I don't want a motorbike.

1) Cost. I can get a brand-new, top-of-the-range scooter for between £2000 and £3000. About a quarter of the price of a new motorbike. And the insurance costs as well.
2) Posture. I have back problems, and the riding position of most motorbikes would cripple me after 30 minutes. I'd need to get a Harley or Goldwing to be comfortable.
3) Function. I have no need to be able to do 150mph. 70mph is the speed limit here and a decent 125cc scooter will do 70-75, and 80-85 with some tuning.
4) Clothing. I don't want to have to buy a £500 set of armoured leathers & boots and walk around like the Terminator.
5) Safety. I came off my last scooter 3 times in 2 months, but due to having my legs safely inside the frame and only travelling about 30-40mph at the time, I escaped all injuries except a 'dead-arm' and broken wing-mirrors.
6) Style. I'm more of a Mod than a Rocker.

I do like to watch bike racing though, and would like to pillion on one sometime.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 05:32 am
Yeah, if you've come off a scooter 3 times, a motorbike may not be a good idea.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 05:33 am
And you definitely don't want a Harley. The only difference between a Harley and a Hoover is the position of the dirt bag.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 05:45 am
Nice quip about Harleys, Wilso!

Everytime I came off my scooter was from going too fast round corners on country lanes and ending up on the grass verge, fishtailing, then falling off. It was very scary the first time, scary the second time and slightly amusing the third time!

I simply don't trust myself with the power of a bike. Maybe when I've retired (in 38 years time) I can get a Goldwing and cruise around at 50mph listening to the radio!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 05:48 am
I would love to get a BMW 600 cruiser - but my mother has forbidden me !!!

In any case given UK's weather, I dont think motor bikes are a good idea !
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 05:51 am
Getting wet doesn't bother me much, G. It's never been terminal so far, and I suspect that will remain the case for a while to come! Does you mum live in the UK or in India? If the latter, how will she know? I was told though as a kid that if I lied to my mum then I would go to a bad place when I died, so perhaps you'd better not get one!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 05:54 am
She lives in India but keeps popping over every now and then. She has made me swear that I will not get a bike. As a driver, I always have been pretty fast so she fears for me (even when I drive a car) !!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 05:58 am
Quote:
I'm more of a Mod than a Rocker.

Not thinking of going down to Margate or Filey are you GD? Laughing
0 Replies