I wish Sen. Joe Biden was president right now

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 11:18 pm
I wish Senator Joe Biden was president right now. He's the only person that I think could get the Iraq mess straightened out. If only Bush would listen to his advice.

BBB
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 756 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Tarantulas

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 12:32 am
What do you think he could do that the current President isn't doing?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:06 am
T
T, have you ever read his advice or listed to him on TV where he has stated what would work to get the mess under control? I understand that you don't like to acquaint yourself with Democrat thought, but he might make sense to you since he is the ranking member of the foreign relations committee and is highly respected by Republican chairman Lugar. They are much in agreement with Biden's advice to Bush.

BBB
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:09 am
Usually you have a font of links. Can you bring some up?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:18 am
Biden
http://biden.senate.gov/

You can read transcripts of media interviews or his own position papers. Just click away.

This Meet the Press interview included McCain and Biden - good stufff.

http://biden.senate.gov/pressapp/record.cfm?id=221862

Excerpt:

"SEN. BIDEN: About the same as John. I would make this about the Iraqi people, not about us. Look, it's real simple. Why are we there? We're there now to make sure the Iraqis end up with a government. What kind of government? One that's secure, its own borders, is representative, is not a threat to its neighbors and does not have weapons of mass destruction. How do you get there? You get there by an election.

An election is going to take place, hopefully in November or December of 2005. What do you need to do that? You need more security and more legitimacy. Right now, 82 percent of the people don't want us there. This new government we're going to get, they're not going to be happy if they wake up on July the 1st and there are still 138,000 Americans and no one else. We need a contact group. We need to get to the major powers and, say, "Look, here's the deal, guys. Sign on to Brahimi's plan. Help us pass a resolution that is a NATO-led multilateral force to be in place for Iraq," giving an excuse to the Iraqi government to be able to cooperate.

And those who say NATO will not cooperate, I met with five four-stars for a two-hour conversation yesterday, with Jim Jones. If the president will lead, if the president gets on a plane and/or summons or asks the major European leaders to come here, NATO will authorize the use of NATO forces.

MR. RUSSERT: Do you believe President Bush should reach out to Russian President Putin, French President Chirac, German Chancellor Schroeder, and meet with them?

SEN. BIDEN: Absolutely. Positively. This is about presidential leadership. That's what it takes. It needs a president. I don't believe this is lost. I believe it will be lost if the president does not lead.

MR. RUSSERT: Senator McCain, should the president embark on such a mission, meeting with Putin, Chirac and Schroeder?

SEN. BIDEN: As well as Blair.

SEN. McCAIN: I think he should. I think he should at every opportunity and I think that we should encourage more U.S. participation, but at this point I disagree with my friend Joe. I think the likelihood of that happening is not good. We have to increase U.S. troop strength to do the jobs that's necessary.

SEN. BIDEN: I agree.
"

BBB
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:26 am
I wish Forbes or Keyes were president right now.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:47 am
Lord Yes----I frankly don't see how Biden can be a Democrat-----he's got way too much sense-----AND I supported McCain before he got ousted by Bush.

I also think Lieberman is a true statesman-----he called for partisanship to cease more than once.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 11:12 am
Biden, president? Why would we want a president that speaks English?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 11:23 am
So essentially Senator Biden agreed with everything GWB said in his speech last night. Good for him.

(Biden might have won the Democratic nomination back when he ran for president if it hadn't been for that pesky plagarism scandal he got himself into.)
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 11:37 am
Foxfyre
Foxfyre, sorry, nice try. Trying to start a rumor that Biden agreed with Bush's plan? Part of it maybe, but hardly all. Bush seems to only know how to delegate, not to lead as Biden advises. Trouble is, to delegate you have to have people who know what to do, and Colin Powell et al are the only ones who know what to do and they've been overridden by Cheney, Rumsfeld et al.

BBB
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 02:20 pm
"If these opportunities come and go without more help (on Iraq), it is going to be a disaster," said one Republican activist close to the Bush campaign. "He's selling himself as a leader. But right now, who's he leading?"
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 02:24 pm
No, I don't follow Senator Biden. In fact, I know next to nothing about him. But the portion of the interview you posted looks suspiciously like the Coalition's plans for progress in Iraq. I haven't seen any plans to use NATO, but since we have a multinational Coalition in Iraq right now I'm not sure why we would need NATO. As for "reaching out" to other countries, IIRC that's been happening all along. Supposedly the President talked with Chirac just yesterday.

What was said in the interview was similar to saying the house should be painted a light blue instead of a dark blue, and then calling that better leadership.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 03:33 pm
That was my point. Biden's plan that BBB put out there is almost point for point what GWB included in his speech last night.
0 Replies