What if no religions are correct, but there still is a God?

coluber2001

Reply Thu 30 Sep, 2021 04:45 pm
Maybe one is asking the wrong question. Maybe the question should be: what if all religions are correct,
but there is no God? Then you've got somewhere to start if you can only admit that religious myths and symbols are metaphors. They're not facts.
0 Replies

theMadOne

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2021 03:17 pm
@neologist,
Then God is a secret. Know one knows Him.
All the many books and only ONE bears His stamp!
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 17 Nov, 2021 03:56 pm
Religions may need gawd, but G*D needs no religions.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2021 05:20 am
@theMadOne,
theMadOne wrote:

Then God is a secret. Know one knows Him.
All the many books and only ONE bears His stamp!

That is a rather interesting blind guess.

I suppose you also guess about which book that is.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2021 05:40 am
@Frank Apisa,
The Koran
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2021 07:19 am
@izzythepush,
You mean the book that gives Mary more coverage than the Bible?
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2021 07:54 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

The Koran

Somehow, I do not think his blind guess is: The Koran. Wink
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2021 07:55 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

You mean the book that gives Mary more coverage than the Bible?

Does it really, Bobsal?
If so, I never realized that.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2021 08:21 am
@Frank Apisa,
Until a "regime" change in 15th or 16th century, there was an image of Mary in the Kaaba, the only image. Christ is considered to be an important prophet, born of a virgin, Mary.

Christians and Jews are considered "people of the Book" in Islam.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2021 08:50 am
@bobsal u1553115,
It's the only book that claims divine provenance.

All the Bible was written by men, but it's claimed the prophet Mohammed was illiterate and that the Koran was dictated by an angel.

It is also claimed that due to the visual quality of Arabic is such that the Koran is perfect that to change a word would destroy its perfect balance.

It is also claimed that if anyone doubts its divine nature they should do something equally asperfect and nobody has.

This is claimed, I do not know any professors of Arabic, let alone any who aren't Muslim so I have no way of checking it out.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2021 08:52 am
@izzythepush,
That's what I've learned through the years, too.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2021 08:58 am
About Christianity and Islam

https://www.whyislam.org/common-ground/christianity-and-islam/

In Dialogues Concerning Jesus Christ the Messiah
By Shabir Ally
The Similarities

Jesus is one of the greatest persons ever to have walked the earth. Two world faiths hold him in high regard. Islam holds him to be God’s Messiah, Prophet, and Righteous Servant. Christianity holds him to be all of the above and even more. Some Christians believe that Jesus is God the Second Person of the Holy Trinity. Some believe that he is the Son of God. Some take this title to mean the Divine Son of God. Others think that ‘Son of God’ is a title that can refer to a person who is especially favoured by God; and that it refers to Jesus more so because he was favoured by God to a remarkable degree.

Hence belief in Jesus is an element of faith that is common to Christianity and Islam even though the two faiths believe in him differently. Both faiths hold Jesus in high esteem. Muslims and Christians believe that Jesus entered the world in a miraculous manner; that he worked mighty deeds on earth; that his exit was mysterious; and that his second coming will be spectacular. His miraculous entrance is hailed by Christians as the virginal conception, as is mentioned in the Gospels of Matthew and Luke. The Quranic story of Jesus as found in chapters 3 and 19 has many elements in common with Luke’s Gospel, leading to the common interpretation and belief among Muslims in the virginal conception as well.

Jesus’ powerful deeds, especially during the last few years of his ministry, are detailed in the four Gospels in the New Testament. Likewise the Quran informs us that God supported Jesus with the Holy Spirit and that Jesus healed the leper, cured the blind, and even raised the dead back to life, all with God’s permission.

According to the Gospels, Jesus’ exit from the world was at first a mystery to his disciples. But the Gospels of Matthew, Luke, and John show that Jesus later appeared to his disciples and confirmed for them that God had raised him alive to heaven. The Quran, without describing the event in any detail, confirms for Muslims that “God raised Jesus to Himself” (Quran 4:157). The belief that Jesus is alive with God, then, is common to Muslims and Christians.

Muslims also generally believe that Jesus will return to earth before the Day of Judgment. This belief is not clearly stated in the Quran although two verses (4:158 and 43:61) have been interpreted as possible references to this event. This belief is, however, stated in many sayings attributed to the Prophet Muhammad and found in the most authentic collections of his sayings.

In short, Muslims and Christians share a common reverence for Jesus, and this can serve as a starting-point for dialogue leading to greater levels of mutual understanding, tolerance, and respect.
bulmabriefs144

Reply Thu 18 Nov, 2021 06:08 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
This is taqiyyah. In layman's terms, taqiyyah is a sort of fluff persuasion that uses false comparisons to sugarcoat the reality of a situation. In other words, a lie.

This would be a lie along the lines of Eric Cartman trying to avoid talking about how he's setting up a Nazi Jew hunt. In fact, he actually did this. Just because someone says they are about peace'n brothahood doesn't mean they haven't been trying to take over Europe for 1400 years. Just because they say they respect Jesus, doesn't mean the Jesus they have in mind let Judas die for his sins and is coming back to kill all pigs and make Christians pay the tax or die.
https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/jared-c-wilson/do-christians-jews-and-muslims-worship-the-same-god/
Quote:
Do Jews and Christians worship the same God?
This is a very complex question, actually, but the short answer is: no.

The answer of course is same for Islam, but more so. Having argued with Jews, they are basically decent, but there is a fundamental stumbling block with the Gospel that they simply will not accept.

But I don't have anything against Jews. Muslims on the other hand might hunt me to a remote location trying to get me to convert. It's somehow their business what I believe.

skippah

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2022 02:08 am
@neologist,
Jesus is God. God is a supernatural spirit unseen. Jesus is the image, the creator, the one who came in the flesh, the one who was in the old testament and the one who has the Holy Spirit.†
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 12 Feb, 2022 07:41 am
@bulmabriefs144,
Just like the Mormons, the Jehovah Witnesses, the Baptists, the Hare Krishnas, the Marine Corps - any group that proselytizes.
NealNealNeal

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2022 03:03 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
In Matthew 28:18-20 Jesus tells us to make disciples. :-).
"UNCLE SAM NEEDS YOU!!!".
0 Replies

bulmabriefs144

Reply Mon 14 Feb, 2022 09:14 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I've known no Baptists that chased me down like this. And aside from an annoying conversation when I was around 20 (I decided I opposed war), military isn't that pushy. We may still have a Book of Mormon on our bookshelf, but I've never gotten anywhere reading it.

COVIDians however will not leave people to their own decisions. Just goes to show, the most obnoxious people are secular cultists.

Your cat GIF in the signature seems to be broken?
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 15 Feb, 2022 06:35 pm
@bulmabriefs144,
No doubt, we've all had our experiences. By and large, most people are pretty decent if given the option.
bulmabriefs144

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2022 01:10 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
None of this changes the fact that I cannot see your cat GIF.

http://weknowgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/****-this-thing-cat.gif
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2022 07:09 pm
@bulmabriefs144,
the burden of proof is on your side.