What if no religions are correct, but there still is a God?

FBM

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 10:42 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

FBM requested non-ad hoc explanation about the following scripture:

Seriously? That's how you understood my post?
FBM

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 10:44 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Not really off point:
Does Korea suffer from the same political correctness as the US?

Not to my knowledge, no...not sure what you're getting at...
neologist

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 11:12 pm
@FBM,
Good for you.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2015 05:43 am
@FBM,
This quote below was the last exchange we had before you replied to me with the passage from Corinthians and I gave you my explaination for why my explaination of it was not an ad hoc rationalization.

Quote:
FBM Quote:
"Do you want me to find a different example of your ad hoc rationalizations? I don't mean that in a belligerent way, it just looks like I chose a bad example the first time."

Leadfoot replied:
Absolutely. Having my POV challenged is at least half the reason I came here. Will be away from computers for a day or two but I'll watch for it when back.
And now you say:
Quote:
seriously? That's how you understood my post?
Yes, seriously. But I won't make the mistake of taking you that way again.

FBM

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2015 05:49 am
@Leadfoot,
How do you get "FBM requested" from "Do you want me to find...?"?
farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2015 06:38 am
@FBM,
God Squad still asserting away eh?
FBM

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2015 10:41 am
@farmerman,
Yup. And still clinging to the invisible and undetectable. Terror management, I suspect.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2015 11:07 am
Atheists are still asserting there are no gods in their usual cowardly way.

Amazing...they even have people who claim to be agnostics working with them.

The pity!
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2015 02:35 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:

God Squad still asserting away eh?
In this case it was the other guy asserting that my explanation was ad hoc. He was just upset that I had the effrontery to question his assertion.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2015 03:14 pm
16 pages and still nothng
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2015 03:37 pm
From either side!
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2015 09:36 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:
In this case it was the other guy asserting that my explanation was ad hoc. He was just upset that I had the effrontery to question his assertion.

If you think you can upset me, you're flattering yourself. Rather, I was stunned at your reading (in)comprehension level. I asked if you wanted me to find another example of your ad hoc rationalizations, and you somehow twisted that into "FBM requested." You have done nothing to address the characterization of your reasoning as ad hoc.

Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:

1 Corinthians 11:3-10King James Version (KJV)

3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.

5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.

8 For the man is not of the woman: but the woman of the man.

9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.

10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.

Will give it a try. Not easy in isolation because after all, my contention is that the whole thing has to make sense rather than isolated passages or 'ad hoc' as you say.

To make sense of this passage the background of the church at Corinth should be considered. This church was among the most messed up at the time. They had interpreted 'the truth shall set you free' as being free of all rules, order, restraint, etc. They were the hippy church of that day. Not that believers should be rigid followers of a list of laws but if you believe the whole 'God' story then obviously you have to accept that there is an intended order to things.

Other churches he wrote to had erred in the opposite way and gone totally legalistic and he scolded them for that. This doesn't make the things he wrote contradictory. They addressed different people and problems.

Here Paul is trying to re-establish some appropriate order in the Corinthian church. The head covering thing was the symbol of some of that order in those days and culture. The problem we all have is the use of it and the principle behind it to subjugate women.

I can only explain it by metaphor. The relationship between a man and woman in a relationship is like that of pilot and copilot in an airplane. They are equally qualified to fly the plane but someone has to be 'the captain' and decide who is to be at the controls at any given time. If they both try to take the controls it would be a disaster. It is the responsibility of the captain to divide the responsibility of flying the plane appropriately. If he is a 'control freak' and only lets go of the controls when he needs to piss, the copilot will feel disrespected, un needed, resentful, etc. If the pilot abrogates his authority and has the copilot do all the work while he relaxes and sips coffee, the copilot will feel used and taken advantage of.

The head covering in those days was just the 'insignia' on her uniform acknowledging her 'rank' as copilot and her partner's rank as pilot. It didn't mean she was incompetent to fly the plane.

Why did God make the man the default pilot? I don't know, but it seems to be the natural order of things. Having been paired up with 8 different 'flight crews' I learned by experience rather than faith that unless this partnership has a designated PIC (pilot in command), it does not work.

As in all things, there are exceptions. My second ex wife and current business partner is a natural born pilot. She eventually married a man who was perfectly happy as copilot. And I'm not being critical of the guy.

Anyway, that's my take on it.

And now can you answer the actual question as to why your take on it isn't an ad hoc rationalization?

Quote:
Ad hoc is a fallacious debating tactic (also called a "just so story" or an "ad hoc rescue") in which an explanation of why a particular thing may be is substituted for an argument as to why it is; since it is therefore not an argument, it is not technically a fallacy, but is usually listed as one because it is a substitution for a valid argument. It is similar in form to moving the goalposts, but protects the argument by adding additional speculative terms rather than changing the meaning of existing ones.
Users of ad hoc claims generally believe the excuses and rationalisations serve to shore up the original hypothesis, but in fact each additional speculative term weakens it. This is both due to the speculations being based simply on the faith that there might be an explanation, and because each additional term makes the hypothesis weaker according to the principle of parsimony.
"Possibly," "probably," "maybe," "might" and "could" are all good markers of ad hoc claims.
[edit]Examples
Many creationists and woo pushers use ad hoc explanations to magic away evidence that contradicts their underlying beliefs, rather than revising those beliefs. For example, many alternative medicines have been disproven or shown to be mere placebos, but believers will make up excuses as to why the controlled and properly conducted experiment was wrong. Some homeopaths, for instance, will cry that the succussion process was carried out incorrectly (as if 9 bangs rather than 10 makes all the difference), or that (inexplicably) it is impossible to do a "double-blind" test on homeopathy. Creationist explanations for how the Grand Canyon is explained via the global flood while similar canyons aren't seen everywhere are hilariously varied and entirely ad hoc. This is also common in Biblical inerrancy arguments, where speculative terms will be added as it becomes clear that the plain text is contradictory or otherwise undesirable. This rather obviously changes the Bible from "inerrant" to "inerrant if you make a great many specific assumptions in no logical pattern."

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Ad_hoc
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2015 10:54 pm
There once was a nothing. Nobody saw it or guessed it was there. Eventually, some wise ass said, In that vacant spot there is a god. What? the people said. Prove I am wrong, the wise ass said. I guess he has got us there, many of the people said. The atheists shook their heads in wonder. The wise ass introduced doctrine. The believers built churches. The wise ass became rich and powerful. The atheists continued, to this day, to say What?
neologist

Reply Thu 24 Dec, 2015 11:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
There once was a nothing. Nobody saw it or guessed it was there. Eventually, some wise ass said, In that vacant spot there is a god. What? the people said. Prove I am wrong, the wise ass said. I guess he has got us there, many of the people said. The atheists shook their heads in wonder. The wise ass introduced doctrine. The believers built churches. The wise ass became rich and powerful. The atheists continued, to this day, to say What?
Well, that's something!
And I thought nothing could be said about it.
But whatever it is, it's been there all along.
Unless it hasn't.
And, that would be something to wonder about.

How's the weather in Texas?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 12:10 am
Hot and humid. had to turn on the air today.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 25 Dec, 2015 04:52 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
The wise ass became rich and powerful
Who knew being a delusional wise ass paid so well?

At least Edgar's assertions can be taken seriously.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2016 07:00 pm
@neologist,
It seems you speak of the "unknown God" commemorated on Mars Hill in Rome.

This unknown God is mute or we have no ears to hear it. Either way it is a vain and useless pursuit then and we might as well simply live a good life in spite of being abandoned and wait for any sign of life.

Billions of years have passed and still a mute God, seems like a hopeless and easily manipulated, superstitious pursuit.
Amoh5

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2016 07:11 pm
@TheCobbler,
The spirit of God the Father is neither hopeless, easily manipulated or superstitious, he is within you. I think you have been watching too many tv evangelists...
(P.S. They are only after your money)
0 Replies

Ummyea

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2016 03:23 pm
@neologist,
I always wondered that if any of the most well known religions are correct then does it really change the fate of mankind. I mean how can we really believe some divine all knowing god or gods are going to impact us in a positive way. If you look into any religion you will find some kind of example of a god or gods destroying humankind. How can we know that a god or gods wouldn't one day abandon us or replace us or try to change us. Most religions promise eternal life and a god or gods that won't hurt us but when has a god ever shown an example of keeping that promise. It almost always goes like this, I promise I will help and not hurt you although I just did that to a previous race of one of my creations. I'm not saying that if god or gods are real will destroy us, I'm just asking the question of whether or not we can rely on them. It seems there systems never really bring peace but only separate.
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2016 05:51 am
@Ummyea,
Quote:
I'm just asking the question of whether or not we can rely on them.
Don't know about 'them' but you can easily answer your own question. If you wonder if God (or gods) can be relied on, just ask him/them yourself. If you get an answer then let us know what it was (or not, your choice).

But why ask a bunch of people on the internet? If there is a God and you are serious about wanting to know, he will answer you.
0 Replies