What if no religions are correct, but there still is a God?

rosborne979

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 05:31 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Sorry, but I can't find much motivation to wrangle over that distinction as long as there's the more fundamental question looming as to whether or not a god exists at all.
And whether or not Jesus ever existed, either the man or the myth.

The stories certainly exist, and the ideas, although we know they were borrowed from earlier cultures and stories.
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 05:42 am
@FBM,
Quote:
Was everything created? If so, then what created your creator? You have to scramble in an ad hoc manner to come up with a special pleading to cover this contradiction.
Although Farmerman claims I never use it, his point (in the ID thread) about 'honest ignorance' being required for inquiry in science is applicable in finding the truth about God as well.

Although I have speculated about it, I honestly don't know what, how or if God was created.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 05:42 am
I don't know why it matters if a god exists. There is no evidence one intervenes. Which is why I can't understand people going bonkers at the notion of atheism. Everything happens the same for me as for believers. Why the animosity?
FBM

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 05:50 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

FBM wrote:

Sorry, but I can't find much motivation to wrangle over that distinction as long as there's the more fundamental question looming as to whether or not a god exists at all.
And whether or not Jesus ever existed, either the man or the myth.

The stories certainly exist, and the ideas, although we know they were borrowed from earlier cultures and stories.

I don't really take issue with whether or not the man existed. I only take issue with claims of his divinity or supernatural connection to it. Rather, the lack of credible evidence to support such claims. There are lots of real people who have claimed to be gods or in touch with them. So far, they've all turned out to be charlatans, as far as I know.
FBM

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 05:55 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I don't know why it matters if a god exists. There is no evidence one intervenes. Which is why I can't understand people going bonkers at the notion of atheism. Everything happens the same for me as for believers. Why the animosity?

The old "if you're not with us, you're against us" thing, maybe? Theists seem to feel it's their god-given duty to spread their beliefs. They don't like it when the ridiculous elements of their faith are brought to bear on the discussion.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 05:59 am
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
Was everything created? If so, then what created your creator? You have to scramble in an ad hoc manner to come up with a special pleading to cover this contradiction.
Although Farmerman claims I never use it, his point (in the ID thread) about 'honest ignorance' being required for inquiry in science is applicable in finding the truth about God as well.

I'm honestly ignorant of any credible, falsifiable evidence that points to the existence of this god. I'm willing to jump on board when someone presents some, though.

Quote:
Although I have speculated about it, I honestly don't know what, how or if God was created.

Fair enough. Do you want me to find a different example of your ad hoc rationalizations? I don't mean that in a belligerent way, it just looks like I chose a bad example the first time.
Smileyrius

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 06:25 am
@Amoh5,
My friend, the exercise of headship in mans history has created a perception of headship that is skewered, so I understand your perspective
That said, read through how Jesus exercises his headship over man, did he belittle man, or treat him as a lesser being? Not at all, rather he gave his life for them, he ministered to them, he expended every bit of energy he had and more taking care of them. Headship is not about hierarchy or favour, it is a duty of care. A man is commanded to love (agape) his wife as he does his own body (Ephesians 5:28) Galatians 3:26-27 speaks of both man and women as being equal in the Christ. If a man were Christ-like, there would be no room for a man treating a woman as a lesser being.

Keep in mind also that in Malachi 13:14 after stating that a man who deals treacherously with his wife will not be heard by God, it stipulates that they are "partners" or "companions" which mean "a pair of things intended to complement or match each other"

Your concerns about how headship is wielded over woman is valid, because in our imperfect world it has been abused to a high degree, but the arrangement itself was not intended so. Very much like the application of the Mosaic Law. Something that was supposed to benefit the Israelites and help them prosper as a nation was used to hammer them down, it became a burden, the headship arrangement the way it has evolved has likewise become a burden on a family.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 08:04 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
I don't really take issue with whether or not the man existed. I only take issue with claims of his divinity or supernatural connection to it.

I primarily take issue with claims of his supernatural aspects, for obvious reasons; they are complete fantasy. But it's also bears reminding the believers that even the easier of the two claims (that he actually existed) isn't well supported by any evidence either. So the hole of improbability out of which believers must climb before even being able to enter a debate on the subject, is much deeper than most people imagine.

Generally however, believers won't even attempt an evidentiary support of their position, they simply ignore the lack of foundation and plow on ahead with their first unsupported assumptions ("Jesus said...", or "God is...") when neither of these assumptions is supported or even reasonable.
FBM

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 08:23 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

FBM wrote:
I don't really take issue with whether or not the man existed. I only take issue with claims of his divinity or supernatural connection to it.

I primarily take issue with claims of his supernatural aspects, for obvious reasons; they are complete fantasy. But it's also bears reminding the believers that even the easier of the two claims (that he actually existed) isn't well supported by any evidence either. So the hole of improbability out of which believers must climb before even being able to enter a debate on the subject, is much deeper than most people imagine.

Good point. I hadn't considered that.

Quote:
Generally however, believers won't even attempt an evidentiary support of their position, they simply ignore the lack of foundation and plow on ahead with their first unsupported assumptions ("Jesus said...", or "God is...") when neither of these assumptions is supported or even reasonable.

That's been my experience so far, without exception. When the very crucial subject of evidence is broached, they have so far shown nothing more than an intense, blind desire for their claims to be true. No actual evidence that they really are.

You know, benign belief in itself doesn't even bother me. People have the right to do whatever they want to between their ears. But it does aid and abet malignant beliefs. Like faith healing that results in the deaths of children, just to scratch the surface. For that alone, however, the attempts to spread religious thinking should be resisted.
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 08:36 am
@FBM,
Quote:
Do you want me to find a different example of your ad hoc rationalizations? I don't mean that in a belligerent way, it just looks like I chose a bad example the first time.
Absolutely. Having my POV challenged is at least half the reason I came here. Will be away from computers for a day or two but I'll watch for it when back.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 08:50 am
@Leadfoot,
No need to wait. This is a smooth piece of work, but it's nonetheless ad hoc rationalization.

Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
the most bothering I can think of at the moment is in Corinthians where it states that the head of a woman is a man and the head of a man is Christ.

That concept is indeed bothersome and I fought against it for most of my life. It implied to me that women are somehow less than men and I wanted to place men and women on equal footing in every possible way. But ultimately I was forced by reality that there is something that inherently guides women to want a man to take the lead in some things. Dancing might be an example. But in allowing a man to take this role in no way diminishes the woman in any form or fashion.

If the way anyone interprets the man's role does that, they have adulterated whatever the factor is (I don't have a name for it). The prime example might be as Islam has used it but there are 'Christian' religions who are equally at fault.

Quote:

1 Corinthians 11:3-10King James Version (KJV)

3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.

5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.

8 For the man is not of the woman: but the woman of the man.

9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.

10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 12:49 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
You know, benign belief in itself doesn't even bother me. People have the right to do whatever they want to between their ears. But it does aid and abet malignant beliefs. Like faith healing that results in the deaths of children, just to scratch the surface. For that alone, however, the attempts to spread religious thinking should be resisted.

I think we're in agreement on most of this, but I tend to place more blame on the Faith Based mindset than on Religion. I think Religion is an unfortunate offshoot of Faith which happens to be easily corrupted.

If I could magically fix one of the two I would start with Faith, and I bet Religion would follow shortly on its own as believers began to truly examine their assumptions.
neologist

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 01:02 pm
@FBM,
Note Smiley's above post for a correct understanding of the headship principle.

According to the Bible, that is.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 07:04 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

I think we're in agreement on most of this, but I tend to place more blame on the Faith Based mindset than on Religion. I think Religion is an unfortunate offshoot of Faith which happens to be easily corrupted.

If I could magically fix one of the two I would start with Faith, and I bet Religion would follow shortly on its own as believers began to truly examine their assumptions.

Well, you have yet another good point there. Faith would seem to precede religion, wouldn't it? Pyrrho of Elis and (probably) some of his predecessors showed that much. As for fixing the faith problem, I think that's a large part of what higher education is about. Even in the Humanities, you have to focus on some sort of evidence in order to publish in academic journals. Faith-based claims don't cut the mustard in academia, at least, not outside of Theology.
neologist

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 09:38 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:
. . . As for fixing the faith problem, I think that's a large part of what higher education is about. Even in the Humanities, you have to focus on some sort of evidence in order to publish in academic journals. Faith-based claims don't cut the mustard in academia . . .
You have much faith in the halls of ivy.

In thr US, at least, education has been supplanted by wussification.
FBM

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 09:44 pm
@neologist,
Playing kinda fast and loose with that word "faith," there, don't you think? All things considered...
neologist

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 01:02 am
@FBM,
Do you truly think our (US) universities are teaching critical thinking?
FBM

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 01:45 am
@neologist,
I can't speak for all of them, but mine did. Naturally, less so at undergrad level, but increasingly so after that.
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 10:43 am
@FBM,
Quote:
No need to wait. This is a smooth piece of work, but it's nonetheless ad hoc rationalization.

Quote:
Quote from Ahmo5:
"the most bothering I can think of at the moment is in Corinthians where it states that the head of a woman is a man and the head of a man is Christ."

Leadfoot replied:
That concept is indeed bothersome and I fought against it for most of my life. It implied to me that women are somehow less than men and I wanted to place men and women on equal footing in every possible way. But ultimately I was forced by reality that there is something that inherently guides women to want a man to take the lead in some things. Dancing might be an example. But in allowing a man to take this role in no way diminishes the woman in any form or fashion.

If the way anyone interprets the man's role does that, they have adulterated whatever the factor is (I don't have a name for it). The prime example might be as Islam has used it but there are 'Christian' religions who are equally at fault.

FBM requested non-ad hoc explanation about the following scripture:

Quote:

1 Corinthians 11:3-10King James Version (KJV)

3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.

5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.

8 For the man is not of the woman: but the woman of the man.

9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.

10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.

Will give it a try. Not easy in isolation because after all, my contention is that the whole thing has to make sense rather than isolated passages or 'ad hoc' as you say.

To make sense of this passage the background of the church at Corinth should be considered. This church was among the most messed up at the time. They had interpreted 'the truth shall set you free' as being free of all rules, order, restraint, etc. They were the hippy church of that day. Not that believers should be rigid followers of a list of laws but if you believe the whole 'God' story then obviously you have to accept that there is an intended order to things.

Other churches he wrote to had erred in the opposite way and gone totally legalistic and he scolded them for that. This doesn't make the things he wrote contradictory. They addressed different people and problems.

Here Paul is trying to re-establish some appropriate order in the Corinthian church. The head covering thing was the symbol of some of that order in those days and culture. The problem we all have is the use of it and the principle behind it to subjugate women.

I can only explain it by metaphor. The relationship between a man and woman in a relationship is like that of pilot and copilot in an airplane. They are equally qualified to fly the plane but someone has to be 'the captain' and decide who is to be at the controls at any given time. If they both try to take the controls it would be a disaster. It is the responsibility of the captain to divide the responsibility of flying the plane appropriately. If he is a 'control freak' and only lets go of the controls when he needs to piss, the copilot will feel disrespected, un needed, resentful, etc. If the pilot abrogates his authority and has the copilot do all the work while he relaxes and sips coffee, the copilot will feel used and taken advantage of.

The head covering in those days was just the 'insignia' on her uniform acknowledging her 'rank' as copilot and her partner's rank as pilot. It didn't mean she was incompetent to fly the plane.

Why did God make the man the default pilot? I don't know, but it seems to be the natural order of things. Having been paired up with 8 different 'flight crews' I learned by experience rather than faith that unless this partnership has a designated PIC (pilot in command), it does not work.

As in all things, there are exceptions. My second ex wife and current business partner is a natural born pilot. She eventually married a man who was perfectly happy as copilot. And I'm not being critical of the guy.

Anyway, that's my take on it.
neologist

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 01:31 pm
@FBM,
Not really off point:
Does Korea suffer from the same political correctness as the US?