What does "I support the troops" actually mean ?

perception

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 05:28 pm
Lord---I know nothing about bunnies except one sharp tongued one and I certainly have no business addressing hypothetical questions about other countries policies or politics-----thanks anyway.

perception
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 05:30 pm
Sigh - abstract thought just isn't FOR some folk, is it? Dammit. Nemmind.

Bill - you bastard!!!! You should stand with the Zanadian resistance!
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 05:37 pm
perception wrote:
[

Like other folks who don't understand the American legislative process--- you just don't "get it" do you?????

Congress would decide, NOT THE PRESIDENT, if it was in the best interests of the country to suspend the right to dissent, but it would only be after it was determined that national survival was at risk. It would also be Congress that would restore that privilege.

It seems it is you who don't understand the American legislative process. The Congress can not pass a law to suspend the right to dissent.

The very first Congress did decide. They ratified the Bill of Rights to protect people like me from people who hold opinions like yours.

But don't worry, when the nation survives in spite of dissent, it will show that your fears are unwarranted. We have survived Demcracy for most of our 228 years.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 08:54 pm
Ebrown_p

I stand corrected----Choke--Gasp-----My God now I'll need to apologize to Dlowan. I was aware of the following which is contained in Article one:

The privilege of the writ of habeas corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in cases of rebellion or invasion the public safety may require it.

If this important right can be suspended why is it not logical to suspend the right to dissent ----UNDER THE SAME CIRCUMSTANCES??????---especially in the event of rebellion. Mobs are most often wrong you know.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 09:01 pm
Dlowan

I apol----I apolo----I apolog----I apologi-----I apologize----there I said it-------boy that was nasty medicine.

Refer to post above!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 09:02 pm
:-)
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 09:09 pm
Dlowan I agree that if a war is morally wrong, then yes, it is a moral imperative that it be challenged. For reasons already stated, I do not believe our efforts in Iraq are in any way immoral, but as I already said on this thread, I would lead the protest if I thought it was.

And sending everybody a cyberhug. This has been a good debate. Smile
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 12:01 am
Perc and Fox

\l/
( - < ; =
/l\

What of our traitorous anti-super-rabbit heroine?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 06:06 am
Republicans putting US forces at risk by speaking negatively about the President and the war...

Quote:
Retired Gen. Anthony Zinni, former CentCom chief: "There has been poor strategic thinking in this. There has been poor operational planning and execution on the ground. And to think that we are going to 'stay the course,' the course is headed over Niagara Falls. I think it's time to change course a little bit, or at least hold somebody responsible for putting you on this course. Because it's been a failure."

GOP Sen. Chuck Hagel: "I think you've got a president who is not schooled, educated, experienced in foreign policy in any way, versus his father."

GOP Sen. Lincoln Chafee: "The president talked about being humble when he was running for office but the opposite seems to be true."

GOP Sen. Pat Roberts: "In fighting the global war against terrorism,' we need to restrain what are growing U.S. messianic instincts -- a sort of global social engineering where the United States feels it is both entitled and obligated to promote democracy -- by force, if necessary."

GOP Sen. Richard Lugar: "I am very hopeful that the president and his administration will articulate precisely what is going to happen as much as they can, day by day, as opposed to a generalization."

Conservative writer and novelist Mark Helprin: "The war has been run incompetently, with an apparently deliberate contempt for history, strategy and thought, and with too little regard for the American soldier, whose mounting casualties seem to have no effect on the boastfulness of the civilian leadership."

Weekly Standard editor Bill Kristol: "Well, that's right, [Bush] did drive us into a ditch."

CNN's bow-tied conservative Tucker Carlson: "I supported the war and now I feel foolish."

Former House GOP Leader Dick Armey: "We're letting the political hacks overrule the policy wonks in this town."

Conservative blogger Andrew Sullivan: "It's long past time that people can be asked simply to trust the president. After the WMD intelligence debacle and the Abu Ghraib disgrace, he has run out of that capital. He has to tell us how we will win, what we are doing, how it all holds together, why the infrastructure repair is still in disarray, and how a political solution is possible. I'm not sure any more that this president has the skills or competence to pull it off. But I am sure that he has very little time to persuade us he can."

American Conservative Union vice chairman Donald Devine, who refused to join a standing ovation for President Bush at the ACU banquet last week, and called Bush's speech "long and boring."

Conservative columnist George F. Will: "This administration cannot be trusted to govern if it cannot be counted on to think and, having thought, to have second thoughts."
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 06:45 am
And that makes it right Blatham?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 07:40 am
perception wrote:
Blatham

Being outnumbered on this forum for me is a perpetual state-----but I like it that way. I don't need a support groupt like many here.

Well then you don't have one......I love a happy ending....
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 08:52 am
fox

It didn't have to be made 'right' in the first place. Other than as a restatement of principles held in your constitution, in response to suggestions from you and others that speech which contradicts or criticizes government policy during wartime out to be (effectively) muzzled - which your argument that folks ought to do it on their own attempts.

I included those critical comments from republicans or conservatives for two reasons: first, to demonstrate that fallacious nature of claims that such critical speech is a function of knee-jerk partisanship, and second, to demonstrate how a civil society will often be in flux regarding its government's policies. Such a state of changeable minds and values and perceptions is uncomfortable, but it is the heart of freedom and democracy. It's the point which Bill eloquently makes on the previous page, though his cigar is still stinking up the bloody place.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:00 am
That Bill gets excited, but he sure can TALK- eh?

Cough, cough.....
0 Replies

perception

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:03 am
Blatham

I'm feeling very foolish old pal-----seems we have all been manipulated by Iran. Check out the new topic by Phoenix.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:54 am
perc

Well, the thing is, I'm not even sure that the new story is true. I would be very interested in knowing, though, if Richard Perle has bought any plane tickets in the last 72 hours to some non-extradictable country.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 10:00 am
LOL

As I said a moment ago----he has a platter of egg on his face. I began to get a queasy feeling when the Chalabi story began to break a couple of days ago. I don't see how Perle could have been duped. He is a brilliant thinker and writer. Have you ever watched him in a debate?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 10:15 am
Yes, I have. There is no question that the Prince of Darkness has a quick mind.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 11:13 am
That you are either a truss or a corset?
0 Replies

perception

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 11:52 am
blatham wrote:
Yes, I have. There is no question that the Prince of Darkness has a quick mind.

Blatham

Just because he is the antithesis of Chomsky is it fair to tag him with the title "The Prince of Darkness"?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 10:07 pm
perc

Well, that would make Chomsky "The Prince of Light" which goes a tad further than I'm willing to travel with the fellow.

But Perle gained that nickname long ago.
0 Replies