Cucumbers & burping

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 11:47 am
bromeliad
If you buy English Cucumbers, you won't burp as they are considered burpless. They are a little slimmer and a little more expensive than regular cucumbers, but worth it to avoid the burps.

Cucumbers hate the cold. In fact, have you ever cut a cucumber in half, only to find a translucent appearance to the inside flesh? Well, that is called "chill damage." Cucumbers should be stored at around 50 degrees. Most refrigerators are much colder than that. Simply keep your English Cucumbers out on your counter.

And because there are no natural "oils" on the skin of the English Cucumber, that's why you find the plastic wrap on them. Just keep that wrap on. No need to peel this cucumber. The skin is very thin. And seedless? Well, not really, but just like the "seedless" grape of the "seedless" watermelon, the "seedless" cucumber has "immature seeds."

By the way, it is the seed of the cucumber that makes you "burp." That's why the English Cuke is "burpless."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 11:50 am
It seems that the seeds are the source of the more intense, bitter-cucumbery taste. That's the home of the cucurbitacin.

I think English cukes usually have fewer seeds. If you look at the fruit/veggie gardening catalogues, the burpless cukes are usually also seedless.
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 12:48 pm
Thanks, BBB., especially for the storage tips.

Unfortunately, the last time I tried an English cucumber I burped quite a bit.

The last time I tried a regular cuke, though, I hardly burped, probably because I peeled it and removed the seeds. Seems wasteful, but I love cucumbers so much I'll keep preparing them that way. When I was young I could eat as much peeled whole cucmber as I liked.

It is interesting that some of the cucurbitacins seem to have anti-cancer properties.

I really wish I could find out the exact mechanism of the burping thing; I'll try searching some periodical databases.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 02:00 pm
the following substances are listed in a german website as having the bitter taste : "Citrullol, Cucurbatin-E-2-D-glucopyranosid, Cucurbitacin-J-glucosid und Cucurbitacin-L-Glykosid ". while these are beneficial in small amounts to help the digestive system, they are quite poisonous when taken in larger doses. they are apperently the same properties used in making "digestives"(the best known german one being "underberg") and are to be found in all bitter tasting plants to various degrees. as i stated earlier, i have switched to zucchini - i particularly like the yellow ones - and have found that they give me no problem at all (and i find that small zuccinis are actually almost sweet - i like them raw, stirfried, in a soup ... ). have already set out the green zucchini seedlings in the garden; yellow ones are not available yet; can't wait to pick the first ones in early july. hbg
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 12:34 am
I never learned to peel cukes. My mom would draw the tines of a fork from end to end, through the peel. Then when you slice them they have a pretty, gear-like look, and the peel is in small enough pieces you don't have to worry about it. then you put them in a shallow dish with half white vinegar, half water, and maybe a little bit of sugar, about a half-hour before dinner. Never heard of burps until I was grown and gone from home...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 12:37 am
I never liked regular cucumbers. I always get English cukes, and when in season, the cute baby cukes for pickling.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 12:38 am
I'll have to try an English one. Any difference besides the peel and burps?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 12:47 am
Wy wrote:
I'll have to try an English one. Any difference besides the peel and burps?

I find them sweeter, and more versatile.
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 09:13 pm
No Cukes!
Well, I used a peeled and seeded a cucmber to make tzatziki (or however you spell it). I ate a couple of teaspoons of the sauce to check the seasoning.

The next day I was in the throes of severe gastric distress and still am. Like food poisoning.

I shall never eat another cucumber.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 09:16 pm
bromeliad, have you ever been tested for acid-reflux?
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 09:31 pm
Nope.

I swear, it's the cucumber. My father told me that this once happened to him and I never believed him. I thought it was just a story he told me to keep me from eating all the cucmber when I was small (he didn't want it for himself, since he never eats them). I called him up and told him about being sick, and he re-told the same story, changing only one small detail:

the reason why he ate too many cucumber sandwiches was not that he was greedy, it was because the hostess kept pressing him...

He said he was sick for 3 days. I'm on day 2.
Not so much burping anymore as having roiling intestines. But what gets me is that I only ate a couple of spoonfulls!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 09:33 pm
Hmm, yep, probably the cucumber then.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 09:10 am
this is from a web-page "cucumber+acid reflux" : "Cucumber (Cucumber Extract, Cucumber Oil) Although just great in salads, this vegetable/herb is also known for its cleansing properties to the skin, as well as the cooling and soothing sensation that it gives when applied topically. It is thought to combine with and lock in the skin's moisture without oil or grease. >>>Cucumber is a natural alkalizer and detoxifier, aiding in the reduction of acid bloating and edema ". ... cucumber is supposed to reduce bloating ??? not for me ! i still believe that cucumbers are rather poisonous - for me anyhow. hbg
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Mon 31 May, 2004 08:05 pm
I guess it wasn't the cucumber after all.

My daughter is sick now. Probably a virus. She seems to be coping way, way better than I did. I had a lot of painful cramps. She seems as happy as a clam. Just a lot of very yucky diaper changes (which she sings through, or copies my 'oh my gosh!' for fun).
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 02:54 pm
brom : happy to hear that your daughter is singing to you; that shows she has sympathy for you. hbg
0 Replies