Cucumbers & burping

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 11:19 am
Why do cucumbers cause burping in some people?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 17,261 • Replies: 34
No top replies

Peter S

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 11:22 am
I don't know.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 04:44 pm
i don't know either. i do know that i really have trouble with even a small piece of cucumber, burp, burp, burp ... but when it comes to zuccini , who to me look the same as a cucumber, i can munch them with no trouble at all. hbg ... also have no trouble with a moderate amount of pickles.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 04:52 pm
I am guessing it has something with hyaluronic acid - either being in the cucumbers, or produced in the stomach from eating cucumber - but haven't looked it up to be sure.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 04:57 pm
i guess we have good company when it comes to burping after eating cucumber >>> " The only way the Queen would utter the word "pardon" would be on burping after
cucumber sandwiches at a Buckingham Palace Garden Party"(a.t. cucumber website) . so next time we are invited to buckhouse gardenparty we must remember to say "pardon' after burping. btw "zucchini" belong to the squash family of plants, that probably accounts for the "no burping". hbg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 05:25 pm
So I looked it up and didn't find any connection with hyaluronic acid and burping.. never mind.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 06:32 pm
CUCUMBERS
would you believe that there is a reference to cucumbers in the bible ? read it here >>>CUCUMBERS, BURPING AND THE BIBLE
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 06:35 pm
Quote:
A cucumber without the burp -- I love to grow cucumbers, pick 'em and eat 'em like bananas, with a dash of salt added to each bite. This is the time to plant them.

The term "cool as a cucumber" has its roots in the chemistry of the vegetable, Chuck Marr of K-State says. Cucumbers contain cucurbitacin, which, when eaten in low amounts, produces a pleasant, calming, cooling effect, he said.

"Unfortunately, as cucumbers mature, they tend to build up high concentrations of the flavor compound, which is what makes them taste bitter and makes you burp later," he said. "A lot of research has gone into producing milder-tasting, so-called 'burpless' hybrids that cause less gastric disturbance."

http://www.kansas.com/mld/eagle/living/home/gardening/8616138.htm
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 06:40 pm
but what is that flavor compound?

The reason I went off on a hyaluronic acid tangent is that I learned a long time ago - or I think I did - that the somewhat viscous fluid surrounding canned beans needed to be rinsed off since it would make you fart, until such time as you got used to it - hyaluronic acid. Which would explain why some folks add some baking soda to simmering dried/soaked beans..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 06:51 pm
cucurbitacin
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 07:01 pm
likely story.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 07:13 pm
yer gonna make me leave the shrek 2 site and really look that up, aren't you?

harrumph
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 07:39 pm
No. It just sounds sooo like a coinage...

ferget it.
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 08:00 pm
my husband just called it 'burpiculite'
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 08:02 pm
Thanks for your info, ehBeth.

Now I have to find out how it works.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 08:05 pm
cucurbitacin

http://home.ncifcrf.gov/mtdp/2dgif/49451.gif
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 08:06 pm
if your german is good ... cucumbers and cucurbitacin
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 08:21 pm
To me it was never the burping but the re-tasting of the cucumber as a result.

That has been unpleasant enough to make me avoid cukes altogether for many years.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 04:33 am
Mrs. SealPoet is allergic to cukes. And the few times she'll eat them (sushi) she'll burp. I don't.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 11:38 am
a.t. the german website bitter tasting cucumbers are actually poisonous and should not be eaten. the bitter taste comes from a poisonous compound that increases in the cucumber as it grows bigger and gets older; it's also what makes you burp( just like certain people become more poisonous as they grow older). it can apparently cause serious gastro-intestinal problems - that is, eating the cucumber can cause problems. hbg
0 Replies