Gloating over US failures in Iraq

Sofia

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 04:37 pm
revel--

I don't know why--but that makes me feel better.
Thx

--and I liked elroy.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 04:46 pm
Re: Gloating over US failures in Iraq
perception wrote:
Suspicians confirmed??????? This article is from the Liberal Boston Globe

This is not a news article from the Boston Globe. It is an opinion piece published by a columnist in the Boston Globe.
Quote:
Cathy Young is a contributing editor at Reason magazine. Her column appears regularly in the Globe.

There is a difference. It does not for one thing represent the editorial opinion of the Globe. They have simply made space available for Young to publish her opinion ( and probably paid her as it appears she's a regular.)
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 05:03 pm
I agree with Revel except re the insurgents in Iraq. "Insurgents" are people who come from elsewhere to fight against the coalition troops. They are all from terrorist groups who do not want any kind of success in Iraq. Admittedly some fighting with them are in fact Iraqis who do not want anyone but their own factions to be in power when all is said in done. Without these groups doing their worst, Iraq would already be a peaceful country well on its way to full recovery and prosperity.

I think we can't say outsiders 'have a right' to affect the outcome in Iraq. And it gets dicey to say the Iraqi fringe groups have the 'right' to deny a free and prosperous Iraq to the vast majority who do want that. And the vast majority do not wish the U.S. to leave now though we have apparently given them the option to invite us out.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 05:05 pm
Just as there are "reporters" that are rooting for the US to lose,there are also college proffessors doing the same thing..http://www.andrewsullivan.com/main_article.php?artnum=20030406

So,do I believe that ALL reporters freom the left are rooting for US troops to die,no.But,I do believe that a large minority of the left is,and the rest wont say anything for fear of being labeled "pro-war.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 05:09 pm
Those who come from "elsewhere" to fight coalition troops are doing what coalition troops are doing - coming from elsewhere to fight for their desired outcome. The more the coalition does over there, the more of these types will be drawn into the conflict. It's a neverending scenario. One of the biggest reasons we should bring the troops back.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 05:27 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
Moore's Fahrenheit 911 won the Palm d'Or at the Cannes film festival.

Moore was given that award by other people who think like he does. I didn't give him an award, no one I know gave him an award. Those awards are given to people like Moore by their peers--so it doesn't mean anything. I could say that my friends voted me Ms. Universe, but does that really mean anything? no.

There are people in the media like Moore who hate soldiers, who hate any republican, who hate anyone who is right wing at all. Those kinds of people would love it if soldiers couldn't vote, as they made very clear in the last election. Moore has lost my respect, because I see him as an instigator, and I just can't accept that.

Keep in mind that this war has been televised more than any past war or military operation. I think that has opened the door for a lot of scrutiny, unlike wars in the past.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 05:33 pm
Hmmm - if that were true - what might that tell you?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 05:38 pm
Vietnam was far more open to the press than Iraq. That is one of the major reasons so many saw through it.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 05:39 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
I agree with Revel except re the insurgents in Iraq. "Insurgents" are people who come from elsewhere to fight against the coalition troops. They are all from terrorist groups who do not want any kind of success in Iraq. Admittedly some fighting with them are in fact Iraqis who do not want anyone but their own factions to be in power when all is said in done. Without these groups doing their worst, Iraq would already be a peaceful country well on its way to full recovery and prosperity.

I think we can't say outsiders 'have a right' to affect the outcome in Iraq. And it gets dicey to say the Iraqi fringe groups have the 'right' to deny a free and prosperous Iraq to the vast majority who do want that. And the vast majority do not wish the U.S. to leave now though we have apparently given them the option to invite us out.

This contains some of the most gloriously and unintentionally ironic words I have ever seen here!!!!!

"people who come from elsewhere to fight "

"I think we can't say outsiders 'have a right' to affect the outcome in Iraq."

Sadly, since we ARE there - I do not agree with Edgar that we can just leave - we now have a responsibility to the Iraqis - and I am one of the many on the left who wish the coalition a successful and speed mission.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 06:43 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
The gloating person is not named. Why should we believe it is anyone worth paying attention to anyway?

Because it confirms the conservative viewpoint. Anything that supports them is gospel, while anything against them is the product of the liberal media.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 06:59 pm
Oh.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 08:39 pm
Wilso wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
The gloating person is not named. Why should we believe it is anyone worth paying attention to anyway?

Because it confirms the conservative viewpoint. Anything that supports them is gospel, while anything against them is the product of the liberal media.

Oh Wilso! Come on - reversed, that statement would be equally true of the dumber of the "liberal" side, too - indeed, your having made it is, indeed, a reversed example of exactly what you are criticising! And you paint with too broad a brush - that statement is true only of the dumber conservatives, too.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 07:49 am
I do see your point dlowan, and recognized the irony even as I wrote my previous post.

The difference is that the U.S. does not wish to be in charge of Iraq and, as soon as the majority who do want a free and democratic Iraq can manage their own affairs, we'll pack up and go home.

The terrorists and fringe minority who do not want a free and democratic Iraq want to stay and apparently restore the status quo.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 03:41 pm
I don't know that all that many of them - except maybe Saddam's clan - want status quo, Foxfyre - but I would imagine it would be hard to find a common theme - except foreign troops out. Sigh.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 03:53 pm
I would give pretty good odds that the average Iraqi on the street--the ones who do understand what the stakes are--may want the U.S. out, but would not vote for that to happen before things are secure there. If the new Iraqi government wants us to leave, we'll go. They won't ask us to leave.
0 Replies