Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 08:50 pm
I couldn't figure out where to post this topic, and decided food and drink is most applicable.

I have lived in Humboldt County in north northern California for five years now, yikes. Among the many aspects I like about this place is the blanket of green land with cows all spotted about here and there. Some here know that we have a painter who shows with us who does expressionistic paintings of cows, based on drawings she does from her pickup pulled up at the fencing.. something like a hundred cow paintings. But never mind her, me, me, I have been happy as I drive past dairy land on my way to the grocery store, happy as I go past cows around Arcata, loving all of them in the area of Ferndale...

but I have not been sure if all these dairies were well run, from my rather organic point of view. Turns out this county is very much a leader... it looks like even the least good places are pretty good, relatively speaking.
No wonder I love it here.

http://www.northcoastjournal.com/051304/news0513.html#anchor204889

note: I modified the title to add energy production because of the latest article link about the dairy farmer in Marin County. (see below)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,442 • Replies: 23
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 06:20 am
Osso you are so lucky to live where you do. A beautiful part of California and thank you for the intersting information.

Can you post any of the paintings your artist has painted.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 07:53 am
Consider, no copy writer has ever touted "milk from contented goats".
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 08:02 am
That is an interesting place to live indeed, though I don't think it's the dairy cows that make it famous for farming. :wink:
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 09:16 am
It is God's country for sure.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 09:55 am
I don't know what you mean, Bill... dairy farms do predominate around here, above the Redwood Curtain.

EEEK! I just got it, Bill. But, but, this other crop is not usually raised on the "flats".

No, I can't post them, Joanne, until I master some scanning troubles I am having.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 02:10 pm
Lol, Osso. The place is reputed to be the ideal environment for growing a particular strain of weed that is of interest to some, and according to your sheriff, worth about $3,000 per pound. :wink:
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 03:40 pm
Osso
That sounds a slightly more lucrative business than your current one, although not without some risk! Surprised
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 04:22 pm
<insert milk joke here>

How did the blonde die drinking milk?

The cow fell on her.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 05:49 pm
Hah!

If you're all good, next week (I don't go to work again until Tuesday - where the article is sitting on my desk) I'll post the article about the dairy farmer that turns the cow plops into energy...

no, wait, it's in the Chronicle, I'll look it up, or try to.

Margo, I suppose you're right. I never did set my sights on financial success, to my detriment; maybe it ain't too late...
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 08:21 pm
Humblodt County was also the setting for one of the Star trek movies. The Planet was called Endor I believe and it was in the redwoods of Humboldt County where they filmed all the fast bike scenes I think.

You are so bad OB - not in California.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 09:23 pm
Me, bad? Again?
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 06:42 am
'Temporarily Humboldt County' -Firesign Theater.

Sorry, had to say that.

On a quite morning we can hear cows from our house in the middle of town...

mu
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 08:45 am
muu muu
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 12:58 pm
is this now a clothing thread?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 01:00 pm
Methane is methane is methane. Can you put it to good use Osso!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 01:13 pm
I suppose I could methylate some ketones...
(where did that come from, I've heard those words somewhere).
I'll have to hold off on giving an answer until I re-peruse that article on Tuesday. Couldn't find it by looking in the Chronicle online.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 01:21 pm
Cows in muu muus?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 01:28 pm
Here's an article I ran across while looking for the cow plop into energy article:

On Coyote Ridge - article re cows affecting resurgence of native grasses
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 08:18 pm
I found it! A great article, in my humble opinion.

The article about cows and energy production
0 Replies