Women Can NOT Drive

pueo

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 07:39 pm
if you want to see some ef'ed up driving, come to guam. with the koreans, japanese, thais, vietnamese, filipinos, aussies, etc, driving like they're back home it makes driving a true adventure everyday.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 08:01 pm
Sounds very cosmopolitan, pueo. Laughing
0 Replies

JimmyK

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 08:21 pm
They may not be able to drive, but what the hell, we can't.. http://members.cox.net/daverobb6/foxywalk.gif

Fair trade I'd say! Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 08:38 pm
well. Well, so there.
0 Replies

Kermlt

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 01:20 pm
I will agree that most women suck at driving. My mom and sister are prime examples. My mom will drive through red lights and stop signs or continue going straight in a turning lane. She admits that she is in a daze when she gets behind the wheel.

My sister is a lost cause. She totalled a car trying to park it in a garage once. She got into 13 accidents over about 3 year period. The last one she somehow drove 50-60 mph from a dead stop to 1000 feet before wrapping her car around a tree.

I used to drive a pickup truck for a job and noticed plenty of women drivers and plenty of accidents to go with them. One lady spun her car out on the highway in the rain because she was too close to the car infront of her when he started to slow down. I watched another woman slam into the back of the car infront of her because she was too busy applying makeup in her rear-view mirror. I had a woman tailgate my truck and when I changed lanes to avoid stopped traffic she slammed into the last stopped car. I was in the passenger seat of a woman driver in Texas and she got onto an exit ramp to a highway and later that night we almost got run over by M1 tanks that were crossing the road. A woman tank driver crashed into a building I was working in because she couldn't put enough pressure on the brake to stop the tank but she was speechless when I asked how come she didn't turn off the engine. My friend hit something on the road and blew up her engine. It punctured the oil tank and drained the oil though she drove long enough for the engine to seize.

I have plenty more where that came from but I will cut it short. There is my 3 1/2 cents.

J.C.
0 Replies

spinnet

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 02:24 am
I completely agree that there are more number of women than men, who are bad drivers. For the last two or three years, every time some car does something peculiar on the road, I tend to take note of who the driver was. Most of the time its women. This has been almost a day to day experience for me. Today I was driving by a street today, a woman came out of her home driving her vehicle into the road almost hitting me, making my friend on the passenger seat to panic. Last week I saw atleast two times, some girl driving across intersection without stopping for stop sign. Often I notice they [women] do rash moves on the road making me panic. Many of the girls do not say thanks if you do them some generous thing on the street. There is a pedestrian crossing, in front of the place I work, where drivers are suppossed yield to pedestrians. I very frequently notice women not yielding. I usually avoid sitting on the passenger side if the driver is a women, because they make me sick to my stomach by rough driving.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 07:36 am
I have heard, with what accuracy i cannot say (i believe i heard it on NPR), that women are five times as likely to be involved in an accident resulting in property damage than are men--and that men are ten times as likely to die or be involved in an accident causing fatality than are women . . .

I live in Ohio now, where more than 50% of the drivers are clueless, and arrogant about it . . . they are either driving significantly over or significantly under the posted speed limit. "Flow of traffic" is not a concept with which they are familiar. Saw a bumper stick once, "Visualize using your turn signal," and laughed my ass off. I pulled into a gas station and saw the same sticker on a car, so i asked the driver if she was from Ohio--she just rolled her eyes, and asked me in a Bronx accent: "Whaddaya think?"

I drive daily with the assumption that those around me will casually do stupid things, and that i should be prepared for that eventually.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 09:24 am
I think you are wrong, statistically women are saver drivers.

According to the National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA) "The male fatal crash involvement rate per 100,000 population was 3 times as high as for female drivers in 1994. Female drivers continue to exhibit safer driving statistics than male drivers. Males accounted for 67 percent of total fatalities, 68 percent of all pedestrian fatalities, and 86 percent of all pedalcyclist fatalities in 1994. 22 percent of male drivers involved in fatal crashes were intoxicated compared to 11 percent of female drivers. 37 percent of female drivers involved in fatal crashes were unrestrained at the time of the crash compared to 47 percent for male drivers involved in fatal crashes."
http://www.familycar.com/Driving/women.htm

Drinking and driving statistics
"About two out of every three teenagers killed in crashes were males.

Male teenage drivers have higher death rates than their female counterparts-21 per 100,000 people, compared to 10 per 100,000 for females. "
http://www.21-auto-insurance-qoutes-st-free-car-insurance-quote.com/21_Century_Insurance_auto-insurance-statistics.htm

"The intoxication rate (those over .08 BAC) for male drivers involved in fatal crashes was 25 percent, compared with 12 percent for female drivers. (NHTSA, 2003)"
http://www.madd.org/stats/0,1056,1789,00.html

The only negative statistic I found on women vs. men drivers - "Although men are three times more likely than women to be killed in car crashes, researchers at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and Public Health in Baltimore, in the US, have found that female drivers are involved in slightly more crashes than men per mile driven. Overall, men were involved in 5.1 crashes per million miles driven compared to 5.7 crashes for women."
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 09:25 am
And even in the UK, it has been determined statistically that women are safer drivers. According to a judgment from the Advertising Standards Authority, women are better drivers than men. After complaints from the public about a Diamond Car Insurance poster stating: "Diamond only do car insurance for women because women are better drivers", the watchdog made the ruling based on statistical evidence from Diamond, which showed women had fewer accidents and smaller insurance claims than men.

Men are statistically more likely to take risks, and far more likely to suffer from road rage, clouding their ability to drive safely and responsibly. Women are also more likely to abide by traffic rules and avoid hazardous stunts. Clinical psychologist and psychotherapist Dr Narendra Kinger says: "Road rage and drunken driving are manifestations of risk-taking. Men are more likely to slip up here, as they are programmed to be more indifferent to the risk factor than women." Last year, 93% of convicted drink-drivers were men.

Statistics show that one in three young men have serious accidents during their first year of driving, leading to far higher premiums.

Women are better drivers at night, due to better vision in low light levels, according to research by husband and wife team Allan and Barbara Pease.

Women are 32% less likely to speed in towns than men. 44% of men have used mobile phones while driving, compared with only 30% of women; men are 20% more likely to have fallen asleep at the wheel compared to 6% of women. 11%t of women say they would drive at 7am after a heavy night of drinking compared to 22% of men.

http://www.youclaim.co.uk/Personal-Injury-033.htm
0 Replies

spinnet

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 02:52 pm
Understanding the statistics
Linkat wrote:
"The only negative statistic I found on women vs. men drivers - "Although men are three times more likely than women to be killed in car crashes, researchers at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine and Public Health in Baltimore, in the US, have found that female drivers are involved in slightly more crashes than men per mile driven. Overall, men were involved in 5.1 crashes per million miles driven compared to 5.7 crashes for women." "

This clearly reconciles the following two,
1) the general statistics in previous two emails that women perform well in accident/driver statistics
and 2) my direct observation that there are more women drivers than men drivers who make mistakes on road.
In a nutshell, even though more women drive less well than men, but since women overall drive less [in mileage] than men, they [women] have less chance to commit accidents.
So it is clear accidents/mileage is the right statistics to look to compare men and women instead of accidents/licensed driver.
In the previous emails it has been indicated that alcohol is responsible for many accidents that men/women commit. One must remove the alcoholics out of statistics since we need to compare the driving skills of men/women when they are normal, to get an idea of which sex is a better driver. If this is done then, the number of accidents/mileage will increase significantly for women in comparison to man.
One must be very careful here not to stereotype people based on sex. I only think there are more men drive better than women, and not that every men drive better than every women.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 11:12 am
Put me on a racetrack with any chick, and I'll kick her ass unless she's a professional driver. I'm talking driving SKILLS. Which comes in handy when you come across an emergency manuever.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:18 am
Spinnet, you proved my point. The reason women are involved in more accidents (minor) than men - they do more errands, etc. where they driving tends to have more traffic and thus there is increased chance of minor accidents.

"Women (especially those with children in the household) are more likely than men to stop at multiple destinations on the way to or from work and make more trips to and from work." - (McGuckin & Murakami, 1999)

"The majority of women (61.2%) make at least one stop after work, and 28.3% make two stops or more. In contrast, 46.4% of men stop on the way home from work, and only 17.7% make two stops or more."
- (U.S. Department of Transportation, 2001)
"Women with children have little choice but to travel in private vehicles. Their need to combine work with household and family responsibilities makes it likely that they will make one or more stops on the way between work and home."
- (McGuckin & Murakami, 1999)

"According to the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA), women are better drivers than men."
- (Guardian Newspapers Limited, 2001) http://4wheeldrive.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=4wheeldrive&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fmoney.guardian.co.uk%2Finsurance_%2Fmotor%2Fstory%2F0%2C1456%2C572996%2C00.html
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:51 am
I think that women are more prone to being those annoying 15mph drivers who won't get the hell out of the way which is just as dangerous as the men drivers who are prone to going 85mph and weaving in and out of traffic without blinkers. I think that generally men driver faster and more agressivly because that is how men generally are.

Where I live, as soon as anyone gets behind the wheel, their IQ drops at least 50 points.
0 Replies

spinnet

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 11:00 pm
Linkat wrote:
"The majority of women (61.2%) make at least one stop after work, and 28.3% make two stops or more. In contrast, 46.4% of men stop on the way home from work, and only 17.7% make two stops or more." - (U.S. Department of Transportation, 2001)

This really doesn't tell that they make less accidents. Making more stops actually reduces your speed and and so chances getting into accidents.
Linkat wrote:
"Women (especially those with children in the household) are more likely than men to stop at multiple destinations on the way to or from work and make more trips to and from work." - (McGuckin & Murakami, 1999)

Women with kids particularly may try to be careful. But they are a minority like drunk drivers. Lets remove them out of considerations.

Linkats reference says "Cardiff-based Admiral provided statistics, which it said showed women are better drivers because men make more and larger insurance claims. And it provided 108 sample quotes from 12 competitors' websites which, it said, supported the figures through lower insurance premiums for women." This does not add anything new. The insurance company likes women because they don't make large claims. But I discussed before, that women making less accidents is not a consequence of better driving, but is a consequence of less driving than men. The companys conclusion is wrong.
0 Replies

spinnet

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2004 11:08 pm
Kristie wrote:
I think that generally men driver faster and more agressivly because that is how men generally are. Where I live, as soon as anyone gets behind the wheel, their IQ drops at least 50 points.

I am not sure which place you are talking about. I live in pittsburgh USA. Men/women go mostly at the same speed. There is no other way. The traffic here is well regulated.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 09:25 am
Spinnet - what I was saying about women driving with more stops, etc. was to prove that they have the opportunity to be involved in more minor accidents. They are driving in high traffic areas where the chances for minor accidents increase dramatically, you were making the argument that men get in more major accidents because they drive more miles on average. Well, women get in more minor accidents because they drive more on average to do errands, make more stops, etc. The worst place in the world to drive is a shopping center.

I was not stating these facts about having fewer accidents or anything to do with children - it is the fact of where they are driving.

Why would women not make as large claims? Simply because they get in fewer serious accidents. Spinnet the Cardiff-based stats was only one group of stats that I used to support my argument, I used several other sources and they basically had the same conclusions. I finally found one stat that claimed that men drive 65% more than women. So, assuming women do drive 65% less than men, men are still 3 times as likely to get in a fatal crash, are still 68% for pedestrian fatality and 86% for pedalcyclists fatality. There are all just some examples and are all greater than 65% of increased driving.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 09:53 am
spinnet wrote:
Kristie wrote:
I think that generally men driver faster and more agressivly because that is how men generally are. Where I live, as soon as anyone gets behind the wheel, their IQ drops at least 50 points.

I am not sure which place you are talking about. I live in pittsburgh USA. Men/women go mostly at the same speed. There is no other way. The traffic here is well regulated.

I live in Detroit and men drive more aggressively.
0 Replies

spinnet

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 02:30 pm
putting it all together.
One thing that is clear to me from this discussion is there are some qualitative differences between women and men driving. These differences arise due to their different lifestyles and personalities. To scientifically compare men and women driving we need to very specific and quantitative. For example some thing like accidents per driver (male/female) per mile in a particular area (highway/in town/suburban) within certain age group under certain conditions (with/without intoxication). If anybody have more statistics please let me know.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 02:48 pm
Linkat wrote:
The worst place in the world to drive is a shopping center.

No ****. All them wimmin drivers are there.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2004 04:13 pm
cj - I do admit I had to chuckle at that one.
0 Replies