Is this petite size bias?

Linkat

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2014 10:42 am
@Ragman,
Well thats what happens when you do not perform up to expectations.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2015 09:59 am
So we are at it again this year - tryouts today. It would be damn dumb for her not to make the gold showcase team this year.

She had a great year reminds me of this quote here.....

Quote:
We plan on proving that this is not a mistake. Not that we were not going to do this -- but she has been taking sports performance training classes all summer - 3 days a week. We are also going to get her arm strength up with weights to make her stronger. Can't change size, but she can work on everything else. Unfortunately this is not new for her -- as she had to prove she deserved a spot on the high school varsity team -- she will prove herself yet again I am confident.

She (and now granted I am biased) was the best on her team. We are trying to get her stats to confirm, but just going to the games she got on base more than any other player and had more hits than any player - and very few errors. She has gotten really good at slap hitting as well - Figured we would be pro-active and asked her coach her thoughts on how our daughter played this year....some of the comments....

If there was hit by the other team she (the coach) would prefer the hit toward my daughter as she was the most consistent and reliable player and had maybe one or two errors all season. She is small but can hit the crap outta the ball. She never complains and does whatever the coach tells her to --- things along those lines -- her only suggestion to work on is to get a better jump off the base as she is so fast and the better catchers will get her out stealing if she doesn't get a good jump.

Fortunately her current coach will be at the tryouts - and I am sure she will speak up about her abilities.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2015 03:58 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
her only suggestion to work on is to get a better jump off the base as she is so fast and the better catchers will get her out stealing if she doesn't get a good jump.

That is going to increasingly be a problem, but Joe Morgan mostly of the Reds stole almost 700 bases and he is only 5' 7" so it can be done.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2015 04:06 pm
Then there's Johnny Cueto, by far my favorite pitcher, a well appreciated short guy.

There's a video of him getting 12 strikeouts , a wowsa. I'll see if I can find it.

ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2015 04:09 pm
@ossobuco,
Here it is -

Linkat

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2015 07:19 pm
@ossobuco,
Wasn't Pedro ... a very recent hall of famer....once told he was too small to be a good pitcher?
Ragman

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2015 08:16 pm
@Linkat,
Often was said about NYY Righetti. Not sure whether or not he is in the HOF
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2015 08:37 pm
@Linkat,
oh...the guy you might be thinking of that is in HOF is Ron Guidry, another NYY pitcher. He was 160 lbs dripping wet and thought to be too small/slight.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2015 08:44 pm
@Linkat,
Pedro has been an inspiration for Johnny Cueto, he said, in an article I read yesterday.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2015 08:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Pedro was just inducted, last day or two..
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2015 05:48 am
So my daughter had her last practice of the season today. It was a fun practice - where two of the showcase teams played against each other in scrimmage play - my daughter went up to bat against the strongest pitcher on the other team (funny her high school varisty teammate).

Any way she goes up and looks like she is going to slap (she is normally right handed but has learned to slap from the left this year) and as the pitch comes towards her - she flips her bat behind her and bunts sorta like in reverse - it was really cool. And it was a successful bunt. I had never seen anything like it. Come to find out it is called a California bunt. Her coach told me she showed it to her knowing with her eye hand coordination she would be able to do it.

Her last tournament is this weekend - the coach said she will probably have her do it in the tournament. I said we will have to make sure we have a rule book because these umpires may not know that this is a legal bunt.
Linkat

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2015 08:28 am
@Linkat,
As the California bunt is so rare and hard to describe I was able to finally find a video of someone doing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V66uXyi0Rvs
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 10:09 pm
Not sure if anyone isbgollowingbthis, but we went to a college camp this weekend. Because coaches are limited on what they can say to you because of new rules it us difficult to yet know what they are thinking. Anyone one college my daughter let them know she was playing at a certain tournament she knew this college was sending a coach to... there were several fields in which games were playing they did show up at one of the games she was pkaying. Not long after she got an email from the assistant coach letting her know of a camp at the college. So we paid the money and attended this weekend.

The good news the coach is young so not caught up in you need to be big... the bad news she wasn't the smallest but the most slight of build. She made a good enough play the coach commented really great pkay. She was the only player to slap hit ... and she got on bad slap hitting..had a great steal to second with hrr speed and as a result was their first run. In the first scrimmage game she batted twice got on a slap hit and the second she hit but a girl due to bad base running got out,

The next day the girls were ready and got her out on her slap hit but then she batted from the right nd got two clear solid base hits so was 2 for 3. She loved the school... has a great program for what she wants to study bit I am worried as it is division1 and she is small build she will be overlooked. Granted we are looking elsewhere too but how to approach issues of her size.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 10:23 pm
@Linkat,
She will likely have to choose between playing and going to a good school. She should still try a fe good schools if she want to play, you never know.

Are you under the impression that bulk is a good thing in baseball? I am pretty sure it is not so long as you are not scrawny.
Linkat

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 10:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
She is thin but pure muscle. You can see the definition. The thing is this school fits her well ... it is small, kind of a family we all know each other feel. The program she likes academically is very exclusive soba unique opportunity.

She is going to a a uconn camp which will be a whole different feel .

In these winter we hope to meet with some division 2 colleges. These are the two stretch colleges uconn and bryant both division 1. She loved the bryant experience and she looked good...just she is so thin...solid but thin.
Linkat

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 10:41 pm
@Linkat,
For her size to describe...her current coach told me that is going to be her most difficult thing to overcome. But also when telling her I was concerned about her playing basketball and getting hurt ... yes she was the best basketball player by far on her JV team,...they are planning on moving her to varsity...any way her club softball team coach said she isn't deviate like this other player she is strong. So it appears after a coach works with her they realize how truly strong she is, but initially and quite honestly when you see her next to others she does look scrawny .
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sun 23 Aug, 2015 10:44 pm
Also to let you know what I hear opposing caves say about her after they see her they say things like watch out for her she is scrappy, or she is a dirt dog.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 24 Aug, 2015 12:26 am
@Linkat,
Are you going to tell me that she did not get into weight training and should have? That would be a huge oversight. In football the coaches were very particular about what they wanted, and weights time was mandatory. I think you said she has not been in school leagues, but if they are sponsored by the schools she might have had access. You also could have paid for a gym membership, or maybe the Y, or something.

I dont see you say that she and you are prepared to be faced with a choice of good school or play, that both is unobtainable ...it happens all the time, it happened to some of my kids friends. They took different routes for different reasons.
Linkat

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 09:13 pm
@hawkeye10,
She actually has a fitness coach that she takes sports performing training from part of of that is weight training. She is strong and per her weight can lift quite a bit. She simply has a small frame.

She is in her school team was on variety since her freshman year..she started all games at second base and was lead off batter each game.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2015 09:19 pm
@Linkat,
You are evasive, does she has access to a weight room, and does she use it?

Look, I am in your side here, but as a parent of 3 kids the youngest 21 I am telling you that you have to be ruthless about pursing assets for your kids, and honesty with your kids. As much as I love what I see of you on A2K you have not yet convinced me that you have done both.