Hastert questions McCain's GOP credentials

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 10:54 am
Hastert questions McCain's GOP credentials
Senator responds with statement on 'fiscal responsibility'

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- In a rare public swipe at a fellow Republican, House Speaker Dennis Hastert on Wednesday questioned the GOP credentials of John McCain, a U.S. senator who has often challenged party orthodoxy.

Talking to reporters, Hastert pretended not to know who McCain was when asked about a recent statement by the GOP senator from Arizona.

As other House GOP members stood behind him laughing, Hastert, R-Illinois, then expressed doubt that McCain was indeed a Republican.

The exchange started when a reporter asked: "Can I combine a two issues, Iraq and taxes? I heard a speech from John McCain the other day..."

Hastert: "Who?"

Reporter: "John McCain."

Hastert: "Where's he from?"

Reporter: "He's a Republican from Arizona."

Hastert: "A Republican?"

Amid nervous laughter, the reporter continued with his question: "Anyway, his observation was never before when we've been at war have we been worrying about cutting taxes and his question was, 'Where's the sacrifice?' "

Hastert: "If you want to see the sacrifice, John McCain ought to visit our young men and women at Walter Reed and Bethesda. There's the sacrifice in this country. We're trying to make sure they have the ability to fight this war, that they have the wherewithal to be able to do it. And, at the same time, we have to react to keep this country strong."

Walter Reed Army Medical Center and Bethesda National Naval Medical Center are two military hospitals in the Washington area.

McCain, a prisoner of war during Vietnam, later released a written statement, taking issue with the spending habits of Republican lawmakers.

"The Speaker is correct in that nothing we are called upon to do comes close to matching the heroism of our troops," McCain said.

"All we are called upon to do is not spend our nation into bankruptcy while our soldiers risk their lives. I fondly remember a time when real Republicans stood for fiscal responsibility. Apparently those days are long gone for some in our party."
--------------------------

CNN's Ted Barrett contributed to this report.

Find this article at:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/05/19/mccain.hastert/index.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 717 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Brand X

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 10:59 am
Yep, McCain needs to keep hammering the spenders.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 11:41 am
Denny Hastert is a complete fool and a bagman for the Bush Family Evil Empire.

He wasn't even a good wrestling coach.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 06:59 pm
McCain is correct that congress needs to rein in the spending but Hastert is correct that this is not the time to be raising taxes. Therein is the dispute. And I guarantee they will still be able to sit down and enjoy a cup of coffee or a beer together at the end of the day.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 07:05 pm
and introduce themselves?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 07:15 pm
Hastert had the unmitigated gall to question whether McCain was a Republican, all because the Senator had the temerity to suggest that tax cuts during wartime might not be a good idea.

Let me tell you something, Mr. Speaker:

John McCain has done more for this country than any of you or your giggling buddies could ever dream of doing, you fat chickenhawk punk.

(I don't understand why McCain doesn't tell the Republican party to go f*ck themselves. All they ever seem to do is f*ck with him...)
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 07:51 pm
What do you think Tom Daschel's take is on Zell Miller?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 06:47 am
Zell Miller has publicly declared that Bush is the better candidate for Presidency. I don't think the two can be reasonably compared.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 10:30 am
I'm not aware of Daschle's take, Finn, but if Zule is still caucusing with the Senate Dems he neeeds to be booted out, literally. I'll go up to DC and swing my leg if needed.

Do you suppose we could swap Miller for McCain and a hundred Diebold e-Slates earmarked for Florida?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 11:27 pm
PDiddie wrote:
I'm not aware of Daschle's take, Finn, but if Zule is still caucusing with the Senate Dems he neeeds to be booted out, literally. I'll go up to DC and swing my leg if needed.

Do you suppose we could swap Miller for McCain and a hundred Diebold e-Slates earmarked for Florida?

Although I doubt it, McCain may become an Independent someday, but he'll never become a Democrat.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 11:31 pm
True.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 11:31 pm
True. But, Miller will likely make the switch.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 06:51 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Although I doubt it, McCain may become an Independent someday, but he'll never become a Democrat.

Agreed. My trade proposal was tongue-in-cheek.

Sofia wrote:
True. But, Miller will likely make the switch.

Agreed as well.
0 Replies