Will we ever have a "World Republic"?

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 03:17 am
Purely hypothetically, as it is not likely to happen in any of our lifetimes, or even those of our children or grandchildren.

What are the chances of the world ending up as a confederation of member states, with individual countries losing most or all of their self-rule to a centralised international government? Or will religious, racial, historical and social differences prove too great for this to happen?

Europe seems to be moving (albeit slowly) towards a central government, despite a very vocal section of the population of my country (Britain) fighting against it. There is already a common currency for most members, and common laws generated and enforced from a central administration and judiciary.

This future of a 'one world government' is fairly common with Sci-Fi writers - who can be surprisingly accurate when it comes to predicting the future.

Personally I think it will happen, but not untill I'm too dead to notice!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,058 • Replies: 12
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 04:29 am
Grand Duke it seems as though we, the world, are settling into four major economic groups, the EU, the US, Asia, and the Arab countries. It seems one world government would be plausible in the future.

However, I predict much armed conflict and many wars before that happens. I also believe it will be many years in the making, i.e., I do not believe I will live to see such a thing.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 09:44 am
I believe that at the rate we are moving, the American neofascist will have destroyed the world far sooner than a "World Republic" could ever be created Exclamation And, this could happen in our life times, especially if Bush is elected (for the first time) or reselected (more of a probability than one thinks).......
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 09:47 am
Technology is expanding the size of each tribal bond. Yes, in the distant future lines in the sand will start to fall to technological advancement (with occasional setbacks from localized tribalism).
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 09:52 am
I think it is inevitable. International commerce is even now stitching together nations. I don't understand why many people fear the concept of a one-world government. Can someone explain?
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 09:57 am
If the president is going to be Stalin, or Bush, or Hitler, better not.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 10:29 am
Re: Will we ever have a "World Republic"?
Grand Duke wrote:
This future of a 'one world government' is fairly common with Sci-Fi writers - who can be surprisingly accurate when it comes to predicting the future.

Yes, they do write about world government a lot, it seems. I think right now there is too much of a gap between the civilized countries and the primitive countries to allow it. Once every nation is completely civilized, then it will be easier to talk about combining, like the European nations are doing now. The civilized nations have a permanent orbiting space station while in the primitive nations they are still killing each other with machetes. Actually I was reading there is still cannibalism here and there, so maybe some are more primitive than we realize.

There are some countries who are fiercely independent and would never submit to "outside rule." There is a vocal section of the population here in the US who are pointing out conspiracy theories about how the United Nations wants to take over the US. Supposedly there are bar codes on the back of all road signs that would allow non-English-speaking UN soldiers to pick their routes on the way to taking control of major US cities. Here in Phoenix there was a major news story when several citizens of a small desert community thought they saw German troops on a military exercise running through their back yards. Also there was a rumor that a column of Mexican troops was marching north through the desert on its way to seize Phoenix.

I read a scifi novel a while back (I think it was by Frederick Pohl) about a race to exploit resources on a new planet. There were three expeditions sent there. One was from the United States of Europe - USE. I think the second one was from the USNA - United States of North America. The third was from the Pan Asian Federation or something. It makes more sense to me for countries in a region to combine for their economic advantage, rather than having every country in the world controlled by one authority.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 10:43 am
I doubt you will see any single world government until there is an ability to colonize other planets. Once other planets are available people who might disagree with a singular government here would have someplace to go to.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 11:09 am
fishin' wrote:
I doubt you will see any single world government until there is an ability to colonize other planets. Once other planets are available people who might disagree with a singular government here would have someplace to go to.

Could we just lie to them about a planet and ship them off?
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 11:35 am
LOL!!!

Now available for colonization!

JIHAD WORLD!

All the infidels you can behead!
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 11:37 am
Quote:
Could we just lie to them about a planet and ship them off?

Ah, you mean like the usual Crusader practice!
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 06:02 am
2002 data from CIA website:

US: Pop = 290m, GDP = $10.45 trillion
EU: Pop = 455m, GDP = $10.43 trillion
Europe: Pop = 797m, GDP = $14.19 trillion

The figures for 'Europe' includes every country usually classed as being in Europe - from Iceland to Turkey, Portugal to Russia, even the neutral Swiss.

It makes for interesting reading I think. I'm working on the figures for the other major economic regions as mentioned by JoanneDorel and others.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 07:07 am
Good job Grand Duke thank you for the stats.
0 Replies