How Do I Search For A Specific Post?

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 11:11 am
I've written over 16,000 posts in this forum and I would like to find one or two specific ones.

Is there a relatively easy way to do this?

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 11:14 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'll get slapped for this but I find google search (outside of a2k) still works better than the internal search.

your name + word/phrase you recall + (hopefully) another word/phrase you recall

sometimes your name + topic or tag works
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 11:20 am
@ehBeth,
Thank you ehbeth.

PS: I assure you that you won't regret your good deed.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 11:24 am
@ehBeth,
When regular searching by tags leads me nowhere fast - actually, I rarely use that - I go to the wee Search word window on the top right and try different wording that I am sort of remembering. Sometimes that works - it did just a few days ago. Usually the words are mine in the first place and I can faintly remember what I might have been on about, be it making fishcakes or some damned political mess. I will probably make more that one try at the phrasing I might have used back in whenever. I sometimes remember to add 'ossobuco' to it too.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 11:27 am
@ossobuco,
I pretty much have no luck with the internal (upper right) search.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 11:33 am
@ehBeth,
I often do, but admit to abject failures.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 11:44 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Unfortunately, none of those methods works for me. I have myself on ignore.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 11:51 am
i have had to resort to google advanced search to find entire threads, that i have posted in, because of poor tagging. This is particularly a problem when all or most of the tags are abuse tags.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 11:57 am
I note with interest the the EU has decided that Robert had a good idea, with their " right to be forgotten" law they make no effort to remove information from the internet, they simply make it impossible to find with search. Robert designed A2K so that stuff that the majority did not want here would get buried, and in many cases be unfindable. For all practical purposes this is as good as gone.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 12:34 pm
@hawkeye10,
I agree with you on that. They all think it's a cute thing to do. (I can see it for certain warnings.) I've done it myself, but take my stupid tag away shortly, after a little thought.

I also am perplexed re old categories superseding newer more specific ones. Long ago we needed categories like Food, but now by the time food, and recipes, and fish show up, there's little room for interesting and useful specifics, some of which appear later in the thread than the first few posts and might interest others.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 12:35 pm
Google Advanced Search is often better for searching, as you can get more granular. Also, for topics that are incorrectly tagged, anyone can tag a topic.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 01:00 pm
@ehBeth,
That's what works best for me.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 02:04 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I've found that what Beth, Jespah, and Edgar said...has worked best for me on the occasions I've needed to find something.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 02:12 pm
Thanks all. Have had no luck so far but I don't really recall specific words, just the gist of the comment.

I actually tried "paging" back through the list of posts available at my profile site and as tedious as that is, it became totally unacceptable when I found that by checking out one of the posts, when I returned to the list it reverted back to the current page.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 02:53 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
but did you click the back button? or history?
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 04:19 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
If you remember any of the other participants and their comments, you might be able to find the thread and then specific post you are looking for.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 06:04 pm
@ossobuco,
Back button
ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 06:21 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
History? I've not paid much attention to that, but it's quite useful. On my mac, it's up there at the top as a choice.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 06:22 pm
@ossobuco,
Oh wait, are you teasing me? seems unlikely.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2014 06:50 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I actually tried "paging" back through the list of posts available at my profile site and as tedious as that is, it became totally unacceptable when I found that by checking out one of the posts, when I returned to the list it reverted back to the current page.

Open the thread in a new tab. Then, just delete that new tab when you're done, and you're back at the list of posts.
0 Replies