The Official Star Wars Episode VII Anticipation Thread!

oralloy

Reply Wed 16 Dec, 2015 11:21 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
4K actually has whiter whites and therefore vague contrasts are much more clearly defined .

....and a much lower resolution when the picture is sprawled across a giant IMAX screen.

I'm willing to be convinced, and I'll give it a try. But I think they'll need a resolution of 10K or better before they truly replace 70mm film.

At least their 4K projectors will be able to expand the image up to the full height of the IMAX screen. It'll definitely be an improvement over LIEmax.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 02:58 pm
@oralloy,
http://i64.tinypic.com/34f1mr5.jpg
rosborne979

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 03:04 pm
@tsarstepan,
Are you going to see it tonight or are you going to wait?
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 03:08 pm
@rosborne979,
Seeing it on Sunday at 15:30 hours on the Times Square AMC Imax screen. Then on Christmas day, at the Union Square Regal.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2015 03:13 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Seeing it on Sunday at 15:30 hours on the Times Square AMC Imax screen. Then on Christmas day, at the Union Square Regal.
It's nice to see someone so enthusiastic about this Smile I think I'm too old. But I may see it on Sunday if I nothing else to do.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 11:03 am
@rosborne979,
Somewhere in the pits of Grand Central Terminal:
http://i65.tinypic.com/seatzl.jpg
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 06:27 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

I'm going to see it sometime between Xmas and New Years.

Unsure where. Locally I can see it in 3D, or in 2D with DBOX seats.

If I drive to a city, there is a complex where I can choose from a 2D presentation in a Lucasfilm THX certified theater, a 3D presentation in DBOX seats, or 3D IMAX. And in a rival theater, a presentation in a Premium Large Format theater.

I'm thinking 3D + DBOX might be the most appealing, but might change my mind a dozen times between now and then.

Given Michigan winter weather, I'm not going to commit to buy tickets until a day or two before I go, lest I commit to going in the midst of a 100 year blizzard.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 06:31 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Force Awakens Spoilers are punishable by death. Violence is the best form of prevention! #jointhedarkside.

http://i.imgur.com/7xc3hat.jpg
(Fixed your #jointhedarkside link.)
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2015 06:32 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Thankfully the fan community is making huge strides in their recreations of the original films.

There's now a fairly decent scan of a Super 8 home edition of Star Wars 1977. I haven't seen it yet, but I understand that while far from perfect, it is very watchable.

And the team that is scanning 35mm theatrical prints is close to releasing a color corrected rough draft of Empire Strikes Back.

Five years from now we will all be enjoying very high grade 1080p/24fps scans of the 35mm theatrical prints of the original versions of all three movies.

I watched the aforementioned scan of the Super 8.

Verdict: Meh. This is not the transfer you're looking for.

For now, either Harmy or Team Blu are still the way to go for the original series.
oralloy

Reply Sat 19 Dec, 2015 01:21 am
@oralloy,
Interesting problems on the "official release" front. It is a virtual certainty that they will want to release a 4K version of the original trilogy in coming years.

The thing is, that's not going to be so easy. Mr. Lucas created film versions of his 1990s special editions, so getting a 4K version of a 1990s edition will be a simple matter of scanning the masters of the 1990s films. But his subsequent modifications in the 2000s and beyond were not done on film. Those modifications were all 2K computer renderings that cannot be enlarged to 4K.

This makes it impossible to make a 4K version of the current edition. The best they will be able to do is start over again with the 1990s versions and redo all the post-2000 animations from scratch.

And it is questionable how much money Disney will want to spend recreating old animations.
McGentrix

Reply Sun 20 Dec, 2015 12:02 am
@oralloy,
After this one, Disney will have ALL the money. Money will no longer be an issue, it will be more of a simple logistics and time issue.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 01:19 pm
@McGentrix,
This episode was AMAZING! The crimes of the past trilogy (Jar Jar Binks, Hayden Christensen, Jake Lloyd, George Lucas' horrible scripts, etc...) and the first one (Ewoks anyone?!) as well have been completely pardoned.

Disney and JJ Abrams deserves all the box off records they can get with Episode VII!

‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’: Counting Down the Records It Broke
rosborne979

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 01:30 pm
@tsarstepan,
So I take it you saw it and were duly impressed. Would you say that this episode was targeted more toward an adult audience than the originals?
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 01:38 pm
@rosborne979,
It's similar in tone to the first trilogy. So, more adult oriented then the prequels.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 03:49 pm
@rosborne979,
I think it was similar in tone to the original, maybe more adult oriented.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 07:43 pm
@engineer,
The Onion Reviews: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 21 Dec, 2015 07:50 pm
Ok. Thanks. I'm sure I'll see it either way, but I was hoping it would try to keep up with me (in maturity) at least a little Smile
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 12:38 pm
@rosborne979,
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 22 Dec, 2015 06:05 pm
@tsarstepan,
Star Wars: The Force Awakens is now the fastest film to make $300 million
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2015 12:08 pm
@tsarstepan,
http://i64.tinypic.com/2urxwgh.jpg
There’s An “Emo Kylo Ren” Twitter Account And It’s Totally Perfect
WARNING: This post contains minor spoilers.