The Official Star Wars Episode VII Anticipation Thread!

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 06:00 am
Tickets were open for sale on Fandango and MovieTickets.com.

Pandemonium ensued. Makes the refugee crisis in Europe look like an amateur turtle race at a county fair by comparison.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Ticket Sales Crash Fandango and Other Sites (Updated)

I scored my ticket for Sunday, 20th December this morning after failing to getting onto Fandango last night.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 06:28 pm
@tsarstepan,
RACISTS URGE BOYCOTT OF ‘STAR WARS: EPISODE VII’ OVER BLACK LEAD, AND MOST OF THEM LOVE TRUMP
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/10/19/racists-urge-boycott-of-star-wars-episode-vii-over-black-lead-and-most-of-them-love-trump.html
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 07:50 pm
This latest trailer is much better than the previous ones.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 20 Oct, 2015 08:03 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

This latest trailer is much better than the previous ones.

They may actually have gotten this right. I was not looking forward to it but now I will go see it if they can get above 70% on Rotten Tomatoes. I will see Avatar regardless.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 24 Oct, 2015 03:39 am
Thought this might be of interest.

Quote:
Eighteen new stamps have been issued by Royal Mail to celebrate Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

The set features nine characters from the existing Star Wars franchise and three from the upcoming release.

The new characters are Rey, played by Daisy Ridley; Finn, played by John Boyega; and Kylo Ren, whom Adam Driver plays from behind a mask.

British actress Ridley celebrated by launch by posing with her stamp, which also features robot companion BB-8.

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/16F11/production/_86296939_stamps2_pa.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34620723
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 26 Oct, 2015 02:14 pm
really looking forward to seeing it when the DVD comes out
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 29 Oct, 2015 09:37 am
@djjd62,
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 07:46 am
@tsarstepan,
With all this megahype, I have one question:Where do you think that the new Star Wars films will rank?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 10:04 am
Some movie plot hints courtesy of Duracell

http://www.newsarama.com/26590-did-a-duracell-commercial-just-spoil-a-star-wars-the-force-awakens-plot-point.html
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 2 Nov, 2015 10:09 am
@engineer,
I'll stay away from that link then. Neutral
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2015 12:23 pm
@tsarstepan,
engineer

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2015 01:41 pm
@tsarstepan,
"Guys, don't forget. The trailers for The Phantom Menace were kind of cool too."
"Don't ruin this for me!"

Classic.
engineer

Reply Sun 8 Nov, 2015 12:09 pm
@engineer,
Japanese trailer has different footage than US trailer.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2015 07:57 am

IMAX update
http://screencrush.com/442/files/2015/10/star-wars-force-awakens-imax-comparison-pic.jpg

There are now three IMAX formats:

a) 70MM film IMAX, which has an 18K horizontal resolution, and expands the height of the picture as displayed above.

b) Digital IMAX (aka LIEmax), which has a 2K horizontal resolution (similar to a 1080p television), and which expands the picture height somewhat, but not to the full height of 70MM film.

c) IMAX with Laser, which has a 4K horizontal resolution, and which expands the picture to the same height that 70MM film does.

IMAX hopes that IMAX with Laser will quell all the LIEmax criticism that they suffer with Digital IMAX. Whether they will succeed remains to be seen. 4K resolution is a poor substitute for 18K.

Anyway, now for the bad news. Sad

Star Wars VII for 70MM IMAX is going to be 2D only. And most of the theaters that are capable of playing 70MM film IMAX, are choosing to instead play it in LIEmax so they can have 3D.

http://screencrush.com/star-wars-the-force-awakens-imax-theaters/

So far only a handful of theaters around the world have IMAX with Laser installed, so most people will not have that option (maybe next Star Wars).

Here is an official list of the handful of theaters that are going to play Star Wars VII using either 70MM film or IMAX with Laser:

http://www.imax.com/community/blog/star-wars-the-force-awakens-imax-tickets-on-sale-now/

The rest of us are going to be stuck with LIEmax.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2015 11:07 am
@oralloy,
Borrowed this depressing post and posted it to Facebook. IMAX? What a bunch of jerks!
rosborne979

Reply Mon 9 Nov, 2015 11:33 am
@oralloy,
I'm more concerned that they get the basic story right than how they display it. Of course, if they can get it ALL right that's the best, but for me it's 80% story and 20% visuals (as long as it's not black and white and covered with static).
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2015 11:21 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
Borrowed this depressing post and posted it to Facebook. IMAX? What a bunch of jerks!

Good to spread the word so everyone can make an informed decision what theater to go to.

It is more Disney's fault than IMAX's though. As I understand it, Disney has decided to produce only 20 reels of 70MM film for the movie.

This is why the 70MM version is going to be 2D only. It takes two projectors each with their own reel to display it in 3D. With only 20 prints worldwide, they can have 10 3D theaters or 20 2D theaters.

They are giving priority for those 20 prints to theaters that have no capacity to display LIEmax. Unfortunately most 70MM-capable theaters in populated areas have the ability to display both formats, so the 70MM prints are headed to more out of the way theaters.

One alternative, if 70MM is too far away and LIEmax is too mediocre, would be to find a non-IMAX theater with a 4K projector.

It would not have an IMAX version of the movie and thus wouldn't expand the screen during the IMAX shots, but the 4K projector might make up for that.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2015 11:23 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
It is more Disney's fault than IMAX's though. As I understand it, Disney has decided to produce only 20 reels of 70MM film for the movie.

It was about 5 years ago theaters were told go digital or else. They aim to get to printing 0 films.
oralloy

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2015 11:45 am
@hawkeye10,
That kind of defeats the purpose of filming in 70MM IMAX though. No 4K digital projector (to say nothing of 2K projectors) will adequately display the 18K resolution of 70MM IMAX.

Christopher Nolan actually forces theaters to use 70MM film versions of his IMAX movies.

If Disney didn't intend to seriously distribute this movie in 70MM film, they wasted a ton of money (and needlessly raised a lot of expectations) by filming scenes with 70MM IMAX cameras.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 12 Nov, 2015 11:52 am
@oralloy,
You know what I think you are right, I think there was an IMAX exception. Strange, it would make no sense for Disney to cheap out on this movie.
0 Replies