My roof is leaking.

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 06:33 am
I've been having a bit of a problem with my roof the last couple of years. Whenever it rains I get water in the house. It doesn't seem to be a problem on sunny days.

But obviously everyday can't be sunny so I figured I'd better put on a new roof. Rather than going with tarpaper, I thought I'd try cedar shingles this time. The Bensons, down the road, have cedar shingles and their house looks really nice.

Anyone here have cedar shingles? Will they attract women?

Here's my house. I'll post another picture after I put the cedar shingles on.

I'm pretty pumped up about this project.

http://muarchives.missouri.edu/images/shack.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,306 • Replies: 57
No top replies

panzade

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 06:38 am
Gee Gustav, your roof doesn't have enough pitch for cedar shakes. The water will just sit there and rot the roof. Also, I'm concerned that a shake roof will bring the value of your house way up higher than your neighbors. And just think how your property taxes will go up. No...better to just patch the leaks with tar and tin cans.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 06:40 am
How about if I jack the house up so there's more of a slant to the roof. Would that work?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 06:42 am
Another idea I've had is too put sod on the roof and have a goat tethered up there. I've seen pictures of goats on roofs in various magazines and it has a very soothing effect on me.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 06:52 am
that's a mighty humble abode ya got there... how 'bout drapin' a big ol' tarp over it?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 06:54 am
Kewl idea! "Gustav-Event Artiste" Sort of a common man's Christo!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 07:54 am
Don't forget the goat! http://www.bernardsboe.com/wams/Academics/zlateh.html
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 01:57 pm
Panzade's right about the slope of the roof. Jacking the place up might help?

A question. How often does it rain? How are you gunna know where the leaks are when it isn't raining, to fix them?

Wouldn't it be easier to sit inside with a bucket and an umbrella on wet days? Cheaper, too!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:01 pm
heh, I don't think the problem is with your roof at all. Ya gots no windows there gus!

Tape some plastic up there over those openings with duct tape will ya! It'll keep the mosquito population down inside the house too. Wink
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:03 pm
Notice how high those windows are located? That's so the goats can't jump out.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:05 pm
panzade wrote:
Gee Gustav, your roof doesn't have enough pitch for cedar shakes. The water will just sit there and rot the roof. Also, I'm concerned that a shake roof will bring the value of your house way up higher than your neighbors. And just think how your property taxes will go up. No...better to just patch the leaks with tar and tin cans.

You will become just a high risk house just begging the to b e burglarized if you fix it up. Want thiefs to go the neighbors house......
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:06 pm
wait a minit , that aint your house last time we was there we were siitin on the front porch an spittin at the Cleeber sisters as they pass by in their walkers.
whats my point?

OH YEH-you aint got your front porch no more.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:08 pm
Farmer, that ain't not frontdoor - there is none - that's a side door Confused
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:09 pm
Well, gus, you'll just have to call Matilda and tell her to soothe away the old sod with a desensitizing song:

(actually sang this to my daughter when the word"leak" scared the hell out of her)

It rained and it rained and it rained and it rained and it rained all day and night.
and the water came through on Gus's bed and it was an awful sight.

And Gus told 'tilda to go upon the roof and hammer and hammer the wood,

So she went up on the roof and she hammered, and she hammered and hammered real good.

And the next day it rained and it rained and it rained and it rained all day and night.

But the water could not come through on the bed,
Cause the roof was nice and tight.

How's that, then?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:11 pm
yeh but the old fool got rid of his porch. That was a real selling feature of his place. It was a babe magnet
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:13 pm
Letty, that's a wonderful lullaby.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:18 pm
Heh! heh, Panz. It worked and I tend to be pragmatic. Amazing how a word and a look of concern from a Mom can turn the harmless into a lurking creature.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:20 pm
Gustav is a walking example-guffaw
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:33 pm
I would use cinder blocks of varying heights for the proper roof slant and then add some faux brick underpinning if you don't think the neighbors will think you've gotten too uptown.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:48 pm
Well, I have been working my ass off all day long while you people sat around and did nothing. A little help would have been appreciated. I increased the slope of the roof and added a few embellishments around the house. The only thing left is to find the damn goat to put on the roof.

The place is starting to shape up though...

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/state-dinner-mansion.jpg
0 Replies