JTT

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 12:13 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Land of the Hypocrites!
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 02:13 pm
Living in the most part in South Florida I was able to witness over the years Shuttle launches and while very impressed they are a fraction as impressed as the Saturn v moon rockets.

My mother on watching the lift off of the last moon ship ask me why she was not hearing any noises as the same time the ground begin to shake under our feet and my reply reach her a second or so before the wall of sound hit us from the rocket many miles away.

It was a wonderful time where the saying would be if we can go to the moon we can do---------------.

Nothing seems out of our reach.

To me is is sad that there is a good chance I will never be able to witness another maned deep space ship taking off in my remaining life time.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 03:57 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Living in the most part in South Florida I was able to witness over the years Shuttle launches and while very impressed they are a fraction as impressed as the Saturn v moon rockets.

My mother on watching the lift off of the last moon ship ask me why she was not hearing any noises as the same time the ground begin to shake under our feet and my reply reach her a second or so before the wall of sound hit us from the rocket many miles away.

It was a wonderful time where the saying would be if we can go to the moon we can do---------------.

Nothing seems out of our reach.

To me is is sad that there is a good chance
I will never be able to witness another maned deep space ship taking off in my remaining life time.
I 'd like to see that.
I 'd love to see colonies established on the Moon & Mars
as well as better Space Stations, but firearms cannot be used in Outer Space.
We need enuf gravity for their proper use.

I wonder if that 's Y Captain Kirk will use fasers.

David
lmur

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 04:01 pm
@hingehead,
Could be the name of an Indie band - Buzzcock Camera.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 04:51 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:
I was seven years old, and I remember watching it with my dad on tv at home.
My dad had just gotten home from Vietnam, and it was our chance to spend some time together.
He was trying to explain why it was a historic moment,
and I just thought it was cool seeing the moon like that.
In my mind, it was a border line in my life,
like going from B.C. to A.D.

David
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 05:25 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
I 'd like to see that.

I have wonderful news for you firearms can indeed by used in outer space.

It had been reports after the fall of the USSR that they at one time have a manned spy satellites in polar orbit with a Gatling gun of all thing to offer some protection against interceptions that the two man crew check out by firing.

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almaz

In addition to reconnaissance equipment, Almaz was equipped with a unique 23mm Rikhter (factory index 261P or 225P) rapid-fire cannon mounted on the forward belly of the station.[citation needed] This revolver cannon was modified from the tail-gun of the Tu-22 bomber and was capable of a theoretical rate of fire of 1800-2000 (up to 2600) rounds per minute. Each 168 gram (ammo 23-OFZ-D-R ) or 173 gram (ammo 23-OFZ-G-R) projectile flew at a speed of 850 m/s relative to the station. The cannon had supply of 32 rounds and was tested at the end of the mission, when the station was operating in unmanned mode. To aim the cannon, which was on a fixed mounting, the entire station would be turned to face the threat.

Salyut 3/OPS-2 conducted a successful remote test firing with the station unmanned due to concerns over excessive vibration and noise.

OPS-4 was to have featured two rockets instead of the aircraft cannon, but this system has not been shown publicly and may have never been fully manufactured despite it being used experimentally.

neologist

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 07:25 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
To aim the cannon, which was on a fixed mounting, the entire station would be turned to face the threat.
Heh Heh. Can you imagine the rotational force generated by even the slightest miscalculation of the station's center of gravity?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 08:11 pm
@BillRM,
DAVID wrote:
I 'd like to see that.
BillRM wrote:

I have wonderful news for you firearms can indeed be used in outer space.

It had been reports after the fall of the USSR that they at one time have a manned spy satellites
in polar orbit with a Gatling gun of all things to offer some protection against interceptions
that the two man crew check out by firing.
Optimism pleases me a lot,
but I still have major concerns qua Newton's 3rd Law of Motion.
If I were free of gravity in Outer Space and if I touched off even a .22 Deringer,
I 'd be propelled backward with as much energy as the slug and no brakes.
I dont wanna even think about touching off my .44 Magnum Ruger SuperBlackhawk.

David
oralloy

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 10:19 pm

The Associated Press has republished their original report:

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/ap-was-there-man-walks-moon

SPACE CENTER, Houston (AP) -- Two Americans landed on the moon and explored its surface for some two hours Sunday, planting the first human footprints in its dusty soil. They raised their nation's flag and talked to their President on earth 240,000 miles away.

Both civilian Neil Alden Armstrong and Air Force Col. Edwin E. "Buzz" Aldrin Jr. reported they were back in their spacecraft at 1:11 a.m. EDT Monday. "The hatch is closed and locked," Armstrong reported.

Millions on their home planet watched on television as the pair saluted their flag and scoured the rocky, rugged surface.

The first to step on the moon was Armstrong, 38, of Wapakoneta, Ohio. His foot touched the surface at 10:56 p.m. EDT and he remained out for two hours and 14 minutes.

His first words standing on the moon were, "That's one small step for man, a giant leap for mankind."

Twenty minutes after he stepped down, Aldrin followed. "Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful," he said. "A magnificent desolation."

He remained out for one hour and 44 minutes.

Their spacecraft Eagle landed on the moon at 4:18 p.m., and they were out of it and on the surface some six hours later.

At the end, mission control granted them extra time on the lunar surface. Armstrong was given 15 extra minutes, Aldrin 12.

Even while they were on the surface, the seismometer they installed to study the moon's interior was picking up the shudders created by Aldrin as he hammered tubes into the lunar crust to take soil samples.

Earlier, mission control reported that a laser beam shot from earth to the moon had been reflected back by a small mirror set on the surface by the astronauts. But scientists at Lick Observatory in California later said the initial test had failed because the beam was 50 miles off target.

There were humorous moments in the awkward climbing out and in the spacecraft. When Aldrin backed out of the hatch, he said he was "making sure not to lock it on the way out."

Armstrong, on the surface, laughed. "A pretty good thought," he said.

Once back in the spaceship they began immediately to repressurize the cabin with oxygen. They stowed the samples of rocks and soil.

"We've got about 20 pounds of carefully selected, if not documented samples," Armstrong said, referring to the contents of one of two boxes filled with lunar material.

The minutes behind were unforgettable for them, and for the world.

The moments ahead were still full of hazard. Monday, at 1:55 p.m., they are scheduled to blast off from the moon to catch up with their orbiting mothership above for the trip home.

President Nixon's voice came to the ears of the astronauts on the moon from the Oval Room at the White House.

"This has to be the most historic telephone call ever made," he said. "I just can't tell you how proud I am... Because of what you have done the heavens have become part of man's world. As you talk to us from the Sea of Tranquillity, it inspires us to redouble our efforts to bring peace and tranquillity to man.

"All the people on earth are surely one in their pride of what you have done, and one in their prayers that you will return safely..."

Aldrin replied, "Thank you Mr. President. It is a privilege to represent the people of all peaceable nations." Armstrong added his thanks.

Armstrong's steps were cautious at first. He almost shuffled.

"The surface is fine and powdered, like powdered charcoal to the soles of the foot," he said. "I can see my footprints of my boots in the fine sandy particles." Armstrong read from the plaque on the side of Eagle, the spacecraft that had brought them to the surface. In a steady voice, he said, "Here man first set foot on the moon, July, 1969. We came in peace for all mankind." As in the moments he walked alone, Armstrong's voice was all that was heard from the lunar surface.

He appeared phosphorescent in the blinding sunlight. He walked carefully at first in the gravity of the moon, only one-sixth as strong as on earth. Then he tried wide gazelle-like leaps.

Aldrin tried a kind of kangaroo-hop, but found it unsatisfactory. "The so-called kangaroo-hop doesn't seem to work as well as the more conventional pace," he said. "It would get rather tiring after several hundred."

In the lesser gravity of the moon, each of the men, 165 pounders on Earth, weighed something over 25 pounds on the moon.

Armstrong began the rock picking on the lunar surface. Aldrin joined him using a small scoop to put lunar soil in a plastic bag.

Above them, invisible and nearly ignored, was Air Force Lt. Col. Michael Collins, 38, keeping his lonely patrol around the moon for the moment when his companions blast off and return to him for the trip back home. Collins said he saw a small white object on the moon, but didn't think it was the spacecraft. It was in the wrong place.

Back in Houston, where the nearly half-moon rode the sky in its zenith, Mrs. Jan Armstrong watched her husband on television. "I can't believe it is really happening," she said.

Armstrong surveyed the rocky, rugged scene around him. "It has a stark beauty all its own," he said. "It's different. But it's very pretty out here."

They took pictures of each other, and Aldrin shot views of the spacecraft against the lunar background.

In a world where temperatures vary some 500 degrees, from 243 degrees above zero in sunlight, to 279 below in shadow, the men in the spacesuits felt comfortable.

Aldrin reported, "In general, time spent in the shadow doesn't seem to have any thermal effects inside the suit. There is a tendency to feel cooler in the shadow than out of the sun."

___
JTT

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 10:47 pm
@oralloy,
President Nixon's voice came to the ears of the astronauts on the moon from the Oval Room at the White House.

"I am not a crook!"

Nixon the war criminal and crook:
Quote:
As you talk to us from the Sea of Tranquillity, it inspires us to redouble our efforts to bring peace and tranquillity to man.

Have you ever heard such hypocritical bullshit in your whole life? And you brainless sheeple sat there and sucked it all in!
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 10:51 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I
Quote:
f I were free of gravity in Outer Space and if I touched off even a .22 Deringer,
I 'd be propelled backward with as much energy as the slug and no brakes

You would either hold onto something with more mass then you such as a space station or fired off a round in the other direct of use a small compress gas rocket to stop any movement due to the recoil.

Given that your mass is many many many times that of the slug any movement in any case would be at most a few feet per second and likely a few inchs a second.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 11:08 pm
@BillRM,
Yea, for the sake of defensive safety,
I 've gotta put on the pounds; bring on another dessert!
BillRM

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 11:11 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Yea, for the sake of defensive safety,
I 've gotta put on the pounds; bring on another dessert!

Do not forget that it is at the moment it is many 100 of thousands of dollars per pound to even reach low earth orbit.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2014 11:13 pm
@BillRM,
I c your point.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 02:46 pm
If they could not return to earth............

Quote:

http://www.space.com/26604-apollo-11-failure-nixon-speech.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+spaceheadlines+(SPACE.com+Headline+Feed)

As a result, Safire drafted a speech for Nixon to give should the astronauts not return home. Concern turned to Armstrong and Aldrin once they touched down on the moon, as NASA had yet to land humans on any object other than Earth.

If the lunar module failed to launch from the surface, death for the two stranded astronauts could come from either slow starvation or from what Safire termed "deliberately 'closed down communications,' the euphemism for suicide."

The tragic situation would require Nixon to first contact the widows to express his condolences before addressing the nation in the prepared speech.

According to Roger Bruns' 2001 book "Almost History" (Hyperion, 2000), the closing words of the speech echoed British poet Rupert Brooke's words on World War I, a salute to the fallen whose bodies were left on foreign soil. Brooke's poem, "The Soldier," includes the words "there's some corner of a foreign field/That is for ever England," while Nixon states "there is some corner of another world that is forever mankind."

As it mourned the lost astronauts, the speech also spoke to the idea that others would follow in their footsteps, visiting the lunar surface and returning home to Earth.

Public communications would then be closed down, and a clergyman would commend the astronauts' souls to the deep, much like a naval burial at sea.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2014 04:37 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

If they could not return to earth............
Quote:

As a result, Safire drafted a speech for Nixon to give should the astronauts not return home.

Wow, they sure thought of everything to cover up that moon landing hoax didn't they Wink
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 08:51 pm
I was 15 and watching it on a small B&W TV alone in my parent's room, with the lights out so it would be more dramatic.

It's memory I can call up as if it was yesterday.

I recall all the speculation about what Neil Armstrong might stay when he stepped foot on the surface of the moon, and when he said "That's one small step for man; one giant leap for mankind," I immediately thought "Wait, that doesn't sound right." I have to admit, it kind of spoiled the drama of the moment. The consternation quickly passed and I watch the rest of the broadcast enthralled.

While it was wonderful, it never seemed fantastic. I'd already been reading science-fiction since I was five, and took it for granted that we would go to the moon and beyond.

When the LEM was to to lift off the moon and dock with Columbia, I was driving in a car with my friend; driving to the Jersey shore. I had to beg his mother to turn on the radio so we could listen and then again to get her and her two daughters to shut up so I could hear. I recall being very nervous as I listened to the countdown, as the thought of Armstrong and Aldrin being stranded on the moon was horrifying.

I never was a huge fan of Aldrin. The Mercury, Gemini, and earlier Apollo astronauts had all been my heroes growing up, but for some reason Buzz didn't click for me, but I became a huge fan when he socked that ass Bart Sibrel in the jaw.

Those were exiting times. I hope we send a manned mission to Mars in what's left of my lifetime.
JTT

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 08:58 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Those were exiting times.

Too bad it was all a gigantic lie, one big Potemkin village.

Quote:
I hope we send a manned mission to Mars in what's left of my lifetime.

I volunteer you, Finn.
BillRM

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 09:21 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
I'd already been reading science-fiction since I was five, and took it for granted that we would go to the moon and beyond.

I remember reading an editorial by John W. Campbell in the very early 1960s or very late 1950s in Analog Magazine where he stated that the first man that will walk on the moon have already been born and is living among us.

Campbell was as near to a god in my youth as anyone or anything could be to my already atheist self.

It was a shame that the man die at only 61 years of age but at least he live long enough to know that he had been right in that editorial.
roger

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2014 09:26 pm
@BillRM,
Yeah, I remember Campbell and Analog. My major pulps were If, Astounding, and Analog though I think one of them was a renamed If.