CIA Wrong on Iraq 'Mobile Labs,' Powell Says

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 05:04 pm
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. Central Intelligence Agency was wrong about Iraq's purported pre-war mobile biological weapons laboratories, a key part of the case about suspected weapons of mass destruction, Secretary of State Colin Powell said on Sunday.

"I'm very concerned," he said in reply to a question on the NBC program "Meet the Press" about having used claims in a U.N. Security Council speech now known to have been "inaccurate and discredited."

CNN Link

AND THIS IS WHERE THAT INACCURATE AND DISCREDITED INFORMATION TOOK US

New York Times Sunday May 16

The Iraq prisoner abuse scandal shifted Sunday to the question of whether the Bush administration set up a legal foundation that opened the door for the mistreatment. Within months of the Sept. 11 attacks, White House counsel Alberto Gonzales reportedly wrote President Bush a memo about the terrorism fight and prisoners' rights under the Geneva Conventions.
``In my judgment, this new paradigm renders obsolete Geneva's strict limitations on questioning of enemy prisoners and renders quaint some of its provisions,'' Gonzales wrote, according to the report in Newsweek magazine. Secretary of State Colin Powell ``hit the roof'' when he read the memo, according to the account.

Former CIA counterterrorism official Vincent Cannistraro said it was a major miscalculation to apply interrogation methods that were specifically designed to extract information from al-Qaida prisoners to Abu Ghraib and other holding centers inside Iraq.

The reasons for importing the techniques, Cannistraro said, were the frustrations at the policy level in Washington that not enough information was being obtained about weapons of mass destruction and the frustration over the lack of information about the resistance in Iraq.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/national/AP-US-Prisoner-Abuse.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 830 • Replies: 11
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 05:12 pm
Finally Powell finds his back bone or can we assume that there are rats leaving a sinking ship. Not that I think Powell is a rat but I have been very disappointed in him of late.

This combined with the DOD Sec trying to hide stuff from Congress. We may be heading to a Watergate kind of year.

Thanks for the link A
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 05:37 pm
!
Powell has been a bootclicking lackey for years. His PR machine has been working well for him and has fooled the majority of Americans. Ever since his attempt at covering up the My Lai Butchery, he has been disgracing himself. Look up his history and you will find that this man is no freaking hero!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 05:54 pm
So what were these mobile labs? Well they were hydrogen generators made by steve 41oo (and others) circa 1983. [I kid not]
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 06:15 pm
Steve, were you involved in the manufacture of those generators?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 06:43 pm
What a surprise.

It kinda makes me sick, though - it would have been easier to find that there WAS some sort of real threat - given what has happened.

At least Powell has admitted it - I see no signs of the rest of them doing it.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 07:28 pm
I think you have to follow this through to its conclusion to understand Powells actions

1) The administration lied or convinced itself the WMD existed despite a lack of evidence

2) It invaded Iraq on that pretext on the assumption that they would show up

3) When they did not, they rewrote the rules of prisoner interrogation to force Iraqi's to tell them where the assumed WMD were.

4) The end result was the torture of prisoners and a blackening of the reputation of the US in the middle east and world wide.

Powell is distancing himself from this mess as fast as possible, jumping ship as JoanneD described it is a good analogy.
0 Replies

greenumbrella

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 07:25 am
In my view, it will be largely impossible for Powell to distance himself from Bush and the Iraq war. The stain of his association with Bush will remain with him forever.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 11:37 am
Acquink

Yes!

more later
0 Replies

gutfeel

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 11:42 am
I feel, that this all will have a serious impact on coming elections.

In order to save his elections Bush might sacrifice some of his ace players. It may happen to Powell as well.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 11:56 am
Bush needs Powell more than Powell needs Bush. Powell increasingly is serving as an adult counter weight to the neocon crazies that Bush has stacked the government with. Powell leaves and Bush loses that cover. Also Powell is then free to speak his mind.
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 12:39 pm
I don't think anyone actually ever believed the silly mobile biological weapons laboratories allegations except a few dancing Bushites desperate to justify Bush's invasion and occupation of Iraq.

You get the impression the Bush administration just throws out as many nutty claims as possible hoping that maybe one or, if they're really lucky, two, will stick and have legs.
0 Replies