Selfies? The democratization of art or the end of civilization as we know it?

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 09:50 am
Do you take selfies with your smart phone or camera? Do you know others who are addicted to the popular practice of self portrait photography?

The inspiration of said thread:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vd7U3OYziHY

Are selfies products of selfish attention 'whores'? Are they ephemeral nonsense? OR legitimate forms of self expression?

chai2

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 09:53 am
@tsarstepan,
The first 2 choices.

0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 09:55 am
Its a form of public and net masturbation.
jespah

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 11:12 am
@tsarstepan,
They're easy content creation by people who are now suddenly learning that their followers demand fresh content 24/7.
chai2

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 11:18 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

They're easy content creation by people who are now suddenly learning that their followers demand fresh content 24/7.

If I knew what you just said, I would disagree with you.

No seriously, you don't find it pathetic that someone even Has followers. Let alone now you've got this burden of creating "content" for them.

You know what I look like, pretty much the same as the last time I saw you.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 11:19 am
@jespah,
I think it's a stupid word, especially when you take your picture with someone else and still call it a Selfie. The other nonsense that gets under my skin is photo bombing. A practice that is nothing short of rude, wastes other people's time but for some reason is now considered "fun behaviour". Hopefully, blowing your nose on other people's clothing won't become another fun activity for the creatively impaired.
boomerang

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 11:36 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Are selfies products of selfish attention 'whores'? Are they ephemeral nonsense? OR legitimate forms of self expression?

Is having a professional make your portrait not those things too?

My vote goes to "democratization of art". Who is holding the camera doesn't make a big difference to me. I enjoy looking at portraits and, to me, a self portrait is usually more representative of the person and therefore adds an extra layer of interest.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 11:40 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
Its a form of public and net masturbation.

Nice that an expert in the field has weighed in.http://www.acidpulse.net/images/smilies/coffeetime.gif
jespah

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 11:47 am
@chai2,
Well, they do have followers. I think people are realizing that they are one of the main sources of social media entertainment. It's certainly lowbrow entertainment. Some of it also stems from having a camera on nearly every phone. Taking a picture and uploading it is content creation that takes less than half a minute. Writing a blog post can take a good hour. Making an infographic can take a good half hour if you're skilled at image software, two or three times that if you're not.

Quick content for our instant gratification culture.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 12:09 pm
I think selfies are fine. People just make too much of it. I have a selfie somewhere that I took almost forty years ago, but I don't show it around.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 12:58 pm
Oh. I thought selfies were for people who didn't have a single friend or acquaintance that would push the button for them.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 02:48 pm
@boomerang,
I pretty much agree with you on that, boomerang, though I could possibly get sick of all of the mass of it. I figure people will weary and get onto some other obsessions, but some of those left will get intrigued with photography and do more and more in exploring it.

This all reminds me of the guy, probably mentioned in some thread on a2k, maybe by me, do I remember? who was an artist to start with, and when he found out he had alzheimer's, proceeded to draw himself as time passed. Those were drawings, but selfies in a way, and significant to probably a lot of people who knew about it.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 06:56 am
@coldjoint,
Quote:
Nice that an expert in the field has weighed in.

Its your fault. You're the master exhibitionist, putz.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 06:56 am
@roger,
Best answer.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2014 02:09 pm
@glitterbag,
Quote:
especially when you take your picture

Note the pronouns, glitter. That's what makes it a Selfie.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2014 03:07 pm
@ossobuco,
I'll add that my first exposures, heh, to the photographer Garry Winogrand put me off, so sloppy! He was, to me, the anti- Henri Cartier Bresson (or others I could go on about, like Marc Riboud), still is, but now I get him.

Selfies have some of that sloppy bravado, as do a lot of phone photos. Most are kind of dross (I know it's not an adjective, but it is for me) while maybe important to the person, but some, by the nature of the moment and spark art, could be golden.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Mon 7 Jul, 2014 07:38 pm
@tsarstepan,
I have little use for these fads.

Still, I suppose it ranks a lot above 'happy slapping'.

Given the two choices, I would probably lean more towards the democratization of art, simply because the other option seems somewhat excessive.

But calling Selfies the democratization of art seems erroneous in my eyes. The internet enables the democratization of art, and the Selfie is just one instance of that process.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 28 Jan, 2015 06:42 am
@najmelliw,
http://i57.tinypic.com/2euqqti.jpg
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/pictures-of-the-year/11308092/Pictures-of-the-year-2014-World-news-part-2.html?frame=2952788
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 01:05 pm
@tsarstepan,

This Is Why You Shouldn’t Take A #Selfie Around A Raging Fire
http://www.buzzfeed.com/abagg/this-is-why-you-shouldnt-take-a-selfie-around-a-raging-fire#.gsgGBROjY
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 2 Oct, 2015 01:28 pm
@tsarstepan,

http://www.collegehumor.com/post/7033571/selfie-obsessed-sorority-girls-get-ripped-by-baseball-announcers
0 Replies