War of Ideas OR War of Images?

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 08:55 am
Bookmark

Am I happy to see perception back?

In a strange way yes. The pro Bush mob were getting so few that it was becoming difficult to pick a fight.

will read up on this thread later

in the meantime, take a look at www.newstatesman.com/coverstory
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 09:21 am
BBB
bookmark
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 11:30 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Bookmark

Am I happy to see perception back?

In a strange way yes. The pro Bush mob were getting so few that it was becoming difficult to pick a fight.

will read up on this thread later

in the meantime, take a look at www.newstatesman.com/coverstory

Your "warm" welcome really touched my heart----are you still giving Blair equal time when "Bashing Bush"?

If you expected me to recoil in horror at your article----think again. If I were in charge of interrogating suspected Al Queda and no system existed, I would set one up. I would not however indulge in physical torture because any information gathered thusly is useless------psychological inducement is so much more effective.

You see Steve I take Bin Ladens Declaration of War on the US very seriously-----unlike many of you appeasers. I believe civilized society can slowly change human BEHAVIOR as western civilization has over the centuries but human NATURE cannot be changed. A good example is the beheading of Nick Berg. We in the western world recoil in horror because we no longer cut throats just for the effect as did the British not too many centuries back. In the eastern world, the one in which those cowards wearing masks live, cutting throats for the effect is common practice. Their society has not changed their behavior and they want to take you and our families back to those glorious days (for them) when they converted everyone to Islam or cut their throats for effect.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 12:10 pm
Blatham

I had to laugh about us both being bullet riddled------If and when we ever visit VanCouver we will both be required to submit to weapons search before sitting down to a meal and our seconds will be guarding our backs similar to alleged mafia meetings.

Your entire last response was such a wonderful exercise in "rhetorical SPIN" that it would be foolish on my part to try and "pick" it apart and only ask a question:
Would you like to offer an explanation of why you think Al Franken's Liberal talk radio show only lasted 2 weeks???????? That miserable failure must have dealt liberalism a crushing blow.

I do certainly agree with one point you made in your last response-----any attempt to establish a political center in any country relative to another is futile.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 01:24 pm
Quote:
We in the western world recoil in horror because we no longer cut throats just for the effect as did the British not too many centuries back.

I think you are confusing British with Scots and Irish Laughing

Until recently Perc, and you may not believe me, I was in two minds about the Iraq war. I never bought into the wmd reason, but I could see an advantage in getting rid of Saddam and building a better Iraq. I now think there was no intention of necessarily building a better Iraq. That is to say if coalition forces were met with flowers and Iraq just fell into democratic ways then that would be fine, but if it did not, it didnt matter that much, America was always prepared to fight to hold the bits of iraq they wanted.

I believe this war is just one of imperialistic aggression born out of necessity because of America's dependence on imported oil, and because it can be done, that is no one else is around to stop American designs since the demise of the Soviet Union.

Further, I believe the whole "war on terrorism" justification for American action around the world is a sham. I'm not denying there are some very nasty people about who wish America harm, but America has created the circumstances that give rise to these people, literally in the case of OBL who was funded and armed by the CIA to fight the Russians in Afghanistan, and more generally by American action around the world that has resulted in the reaction that we see today.

As for me still Blair bashing, well reluctantly yes. I've said elsewhere that Blair's slavish devotion to George Bush's foreign policy is a tragedy on many levels. I'm actually a big fan of Blair in many ways, but the catastrophic mistake in putting all his trust in W will be the end of his premiership.20:23 16/05/04
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 01:48 pm
perc

If there is ANYTHING I had hoped to teach you, it is to not get caught claiming there is no cow in the living room when there is a cow in the living room.
http://www.airamericaradio.com/pub/globalDefault.htm
I listen to a bit of it (online) every day. Click on his photo, then on any highlighted calendar day. He'll soon be your bosom buddy.

I saw steve's reply (I normally don't read steve's posts because he's such a girl) but his estimation of Blair's short future looks quite right. I liked Blair too, though not in all respects, but now the most promising career in years is going the way of Shakespearian tragedy. He's been wrong about almost everything, and Cook, who left his cabinet in protest before the war has proved correct in almost everything. That, along with getting almost completely nothing but words from Bush on Palestine, has made him appear a toadie - an appearance that matches reality.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 01:55 pm
jesus...I just noticed Steve has time-marked his last post. Down to the minute. It goes to show...you never really know about a person. Now I'm imagining a chart on the inner side of the WC door...

Friday, May 2, 2004...0813
Great bowel movement this morning. Finally!!
Four wipes.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 02:14 pm
Steve

I can see your ability to reason logically has not improved and I completely reject your allegations of imperialism as you have not produced one tiny scap of evidence to back up your wild accusations. Of course I realize it is futile to attempt to change your perceptions of reality so I will not try.

Tony Blair is one of the best leaders ever to come out of England and if you switch to another horse as you did with Churchill after he led your country to victory in WW11, it will beg the question of how Brittain has survived all the blunders you have made.

Bush's total inability to articulate his vision of how to influence changes in the global mix of fractuous sovereignties will probably lead to the defeat of both in the upcoming elections. It will not mean total political chaos because thankfully the machinary of gov't is not easily wrecked by one man so both countries will survive-----for a few years. The Muslim extremists will be joyous and continue building their organizations.

It is the strangest phenomenon to observe you conspiracy theorists bury your heads in the sand of denial.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 02:28 pm
blatham wrote:
perc

If there is ANYTHING I had hoped to teach you, it is to not get caught claiming there is no cow in the living room when there is a cow in the living room.
http://www.airamericaradio.com/pub/globalDefault.htm
I listen to a bit of it (online) every day. Click on his photo, then on any highlighted calendar day. He'll soon be your bosom buddy.

Damn----they must have received an infusion of George Soros' $billions. Oh ---well so they can stay on the air spewing lies for another month or so. Sooner or later they will need real revenue from real customers who sell real products instead of lies. It would be a death sentence for any company to advertise on Frankens program.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 02:51 pm
Now, you see perc....'spewing lies' you say. But you ain't been listening. And I'll bet the bill when you come to vancouver (including the 1948 bottle of Chateau Papillon) that you haven't read his books either.

The fellow doesn't lie. And when he makes an error of fact, he corrects it. He understands that his audience demands this, and that if he fuks up on truth and accuracy in any serial way, then he's toast. He is very funny, but that is not enough.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 08:53 pm
If you think I'm going to let you pick the wine, you have slipped a cog-----I can't afford a 1948 bottle of anything--------

Blatham as for Franken---- he could be the funniest sob this side of Las Vegas but he is playing to a select audiance----Bush bashers all. If he wanted to transmit his message to the undecideds he would drop the ad hominems and the insults and at least make a pretence of debating the issues. I can't imagine anyone other than a group of Deaniacs foaming at the mouth whose veins pulsate at the mention of Bush, listening to Frankens garbage for more than 30 seconds. George Soros has a vast fortune but as I said earlier sooner or later he will need some real revenue from real sponsors who sell real products-------I wouldn't want to make a living selling advertisements for slots during Frankens show------I would get real thin, real fast. Come to think of it my wife would like that----I like to eat.
0 Replies