Football ("soccer") is a sign of U.S.A.’s moral decay

glitterbag

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 07:03 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
her face is attractive

And that remark is a sure sign of aesthetic decay, Finn...

Years ago, I was watching Coulter with my husband and son, both men gasped at something she said that was incredibly offensive and rascist. Granted, she looks cadaverous, but I weakly mentioned I thought she was attractive......there was stunned silence for half a beat when my son blurted out that she looked like a crack whore. I thought that was a bit extreme, I don't think she uses crack. Unfortunately Coulter has built her career on saying dreadful things and attempting to destroy people's reputations on a whim.

She's always has a pot load of outrageous things to say if an interviewer attempts to decipher her particular brand of Crazie Lady. One of the most interesting appearances of "the Coulter" was an appearance on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart. Stewart treated her extremely well and it made her extremely uncomfortable. Her eyes darted around waiting for an opportunity to be repulsive, but Stewart was so polite and so cordial to her, she was completely confused. She is an expert at aggressive insulting demeanor, but she doesn't know what to do when she's treated politely, it's as if she's a small child with no idea how to react. It was a very revealing interview, kind of sad she can only feel comfortable when she thinks she is being outrageous, even sadder that she gets uncomfortable when she is not able to attack someone.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 07:07 pm
Please tell me interest in matches will not hover over this woman.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 07:58 pm
@ossobuco,
Coulter???? No, no one really takes her seriously. She's been on the back burner so long, she decided to take a swipe at a sport enjoyed around the world. That reeks of desperation, if Ann isn't the talk of the town, and she isn't, she thinks she's nobody. I think she's correct.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 08:02 pm
@glitterbag,
Why are you instructing me on this?
glitterbag

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 08:20 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm sorry, I thought you were commenting on Ann, I apologize, I mistakenly assumed you were worried about her influence on soccer. I wasn't attempting to instruct you, you don't need instructions from me.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 08:24 pm
@glitterbag,
I have no interest in her.

You and I may spat but mostly could usually talk.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 09:30 pm
@ossobuco,
I think I assumed when you mentioned "this women" you were talking about a particular woman. Apparently I was off the mark. I didn't realize we were having a spat, I submit another apology. Did I irk you in another way, or was it just about "this woman"? I just don't know what else to say, I never intended to upset you, but since you are upset, please understand that was not my goal. I don't know how else to explain what happened. I'm a little disappointed that you would think I was trying to lecture you.

ossobuco wrote:

Please tell me interest in matches will not hover over this woman.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 11:55 pm
@Olivier5,
La fin d’un rêve en tricolor ... mais ça me botte Wink
Olivier5

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 12:29 am
@Walter Hinteler,
J'ai pas vu le match finalement, trop de boulot... et c'est sans doute tant mieux. :-) Bonne chance à la Mannschaft.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 02:11 am
@Olivier5,
Beaucoup de mercis!
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 06:03 am
@Olivier5,
So Germany advances...I wonder if Klose will set a record of his own as World Cup's all time leading scorer in the next game. All he needs is to score once more to break the tie between himself and Ronaldo.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 11:05 am
@Olivier5,
To each his own.

I don't find Michelle Obama particularly attractive, although I'm constantly told she's beautiful. On the other hand, I do find Janeane Garofalo attractive (when she bothers to groom herself), despite loathing the way she thinks and the things she says. For some reason she is described as an "American Comic," but for the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would want to attend one of her stand-up routines for free, let alone pay anything for what must be an excruciatingly boring two hours. I took a look at the two sites from which I extracted the Coulter and Maher quotes, just to make sure there wasn't a side of Garofalo that I was missing. If anything, I found that she has even less talent than I originally thought, and is more stupidly banal than I had imagined. Be aware that most of the following are taken from her stand-up comedy routines or TV "comedy" specials:

Quote:
The Wit of Janeane Garofalo

I don't really have funny things to say about politics. I wish I did, but I don't.

I do not enjoy when people don't like me.

"The reason the corporate media serves the Republican agenda so much is it means they don't have to work hard

So the thing that kills me though when it comes to religion is very few religious people will refuse to allow you to have your opinion. They will boycott you, they will write a letter, they are allowed to scream from the mountain tops what they believe in. You are not allowed that same thing, you are just wrong, that's all there is to it.
The irony here is breathtaking.

"Anybody who French bashes just might as well wear a badge that says 'I am a follower! I don't think for myself and I have no idea what I'm talking about.' That would be a French basher." I added this especially for you

We are losing democracy all the time under the Bush regime and Theocracy, where it will be fine, but it's just gonna take awhile." Incandescent brilliance!

Quote:
The Wisdom of Janeane Garofalo

Iraq is a manufactured conflict for the sake of geopolitical dominance in the area. What insight! She should forgo all of her lesser pursuits and immediately establish a foreign policy think tank.

Let's be very honest about what this (The Tea Party) is about. It's not about bashing Democrats, it's not about taxes, they have no idea what the Boston tea party was about, they don't know their history at all. This is about hating a black man in the White House. This is racism straight up.

When I see the American flag, I go, 'Oh my God, you're insulting me.'

"Nationalism and patriotism in the wrong hands will destroy lives, it really will, because I'll tell you something: it takes a village to ruin a child. I think we've proven that time and time again in this country." And so, I suppose, will guns, public education and peanut butter

"To a right-winger, unions are awful. Why do right-wingers hate unions? Because collective bargaining is the power that a worker has against the corporation. Right-wingers hate that."

I mean is it not insanity? Is it not so obvious at this point to some people, to most people rather that this Bush administration is now uh- comically! comically uhm --I don't even know what the word is! I can't think of the word! I can't think of words!" I have to admit that this one goes right over my head but you have to admire her way with words.

...these guys (authors of sacred texts) are great writers, but the important thing being that we keep the women in the back seat. That's the main gist of all religions because we're scared of the vagina. Somehow it all leads to fear of the vagina. Not fear of death, fear of nihilism, or fear of an endless black void, fear of poontang.

I shouldn't be a pundit. I don't know why I am, but they asked me to, and once your name is in the rolodex, you're in. So sometimes I go on -yeah I stink. I'm a stinky pundit! ...well, compared to the pundits they have I'm fantastic! But in the real world, I stink, and should not be a pundit."

Everyone in the world knows that America, (in its current state, because of right-wingers) that the right wing arm of this country (that speaks for this country unfortunately) has no credibility when it comes to human rights or independent media.
" Everyone knows this!

Yet they still say bleeding-heart-liberal or liberal, but without liberals we wouldn't have unions. We wouldn't have environmental protections. We wouldn't have seat belts or birth control or the ACLU! Any of these things! This is what liberals and progressives, whether they call themselves that or not, do. They've fought for it. They've died for it. They've gotten their asses kicked for it. God Bless the liberal and progressive who have sacrificed all to give us seat belts and the ACLU!

"It is not crazy to think that powerful people do some pretty horrible things. And maybe they get out of hand. Maybe it just gets away from them. It snowballs." Are there any confines to her brilliant insight?

Quote:
The Knee Slapping Comedic Genius of Ms. Janeane Garofalo

Is being an idiot like being high all the time?

"I can't wait for the next fad though, and I predict it's going to be Pennsylvania dutch culture, very Amish. It's going to be bonnets and butter churns."

"I actually was class clown, but I don't know how that happened because I've never been considered an outwardly funny person — as the people in this room will attest."

"But let me ask you this though, first and foremost: who's your favorite Spice Girl? Mine is Sporty Spice and I'll tell you why. You know what? She might not be as aesthetically pleasant as the rest but she'll do a backflip and steal your heart."

"No no no! Don't clap! No no no, you make me seem like I'm like a prophet or something and I'm so not!"

"You know what is good about these Dixie Chicks burnings or bashings? It's a wonderful, wonderful way for really stupid people to hook up. They meet, they throw some things on the fire, they talk about Vin Diesel, they tell stories about who their favorite Fox anchor is, they exchange phone numbers and in some cases has led to marriages."

"When I see guys in bars wearing the real fitted kind of Calvin Klein v-neck t-shirts I just want to go up to them and be like, 'Oh, do you work out? Your tricep looks so great - thank you.'"

And this is why she makes the big bucks and appears on campuses all over the country.

Source
Source

JTT

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 11:28 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
You sure are the voluble one, Finn, on all the inane topics. As soon as it gets to those uncomfortable truths you can't face, you're a scared little puppy.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 11:44 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Posting script instead of video never does a comedian justice.

But that was the point wasn't it?
glitterbag

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 11:52 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Things just haven't been the same since Bob Hope went to that big comedy club in the sky.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 02:42 pm
@izzythepush,
If you can imagine any of these things being said in a hilarious or even wry manner, your have a more fertile imagination than me. I've watched Garofalo actually say a few of these things and I guess I just can't appreciate her marvelous sense of timing, or her unique delivery, because they weren't any more amusing when heard than when read.

In any case, I'm comparing her to both Coulter and Maher, and you can see I provided script instead of video for them as well. If you think that I did so just so I could set up my post on Garofalo...well, you think a lot of preposterous things, and particularly about me, so I'm not surprised.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 02:52 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
It's all in the performance. Monty Python's Dead Parrot Sketch has been called the funniest sketch ever written. Even if you don't think that there's no denying its popularity. yet when Margaret Thatcher tried to do it at a tory conference she crucified it completely. From then on footage was used as proof that Thatcher didn't have a sense of humour.

I've never heard of the comedian in question, but as you pointed out she's a performer, as opposed to Coulter, who is a columnist.
Advocate

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 03:17 pm
Keep in mind that conservative humor is an oxymoron. I cannot even think of a current comedian who is conservative.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 05:40 pm
@JTT,
It's called having a wide range of interests JTT. You should try it.

I, like many other regular visitors to this forum, comment on politics, music, films, religion, sports, history, philosophy, science, drugs, social media, business, dogs, health issues, literature, food, travel, relationships, customs, and any number of other topics. In fact, the only topics I can imagine not commenting upon are mathematics, celebrity gossip, and the botany of ferns. Whether this delights, dismays or stimulates no reaction at all from other members is entirely beside the point of why I do. (I take that back a bit. I admit to hoping that the advice I provide people who come to this forum with personal problems is of some help to them). In short, I'm a freaking Renaissance Man...with a big heart.

You on the other hand are strictly a One Trick Pony. You post in almost every thread I do, but always with some variant of the same message: The USA is a terrorist nation and the single most destructive country in the history of mankind. With great regularity, you also include an insult directed at one or more participating member:

Quote:
Yes, you famously dumb bullshitter

He has also caused McTag to illustrate what a liar he is and just what a pedantic little fool he is.

The abysmally ignorant coward, Bill, asks for proof

You are a terribly confused, conflicted individual, CI. That's what comes from a lifetime of relentless propaganda. A liar too.

Don't be such a chickenshit. It is your dishonesty that you don't deal with these things honestly.

You advancing the ludicrous notion that you have the mental capabilities to assess those issues is laughable in the extreme.

There you go again, cj, wasting that grade 3 education

You're a lying Uncle Sam semen sucker, Oralboy.

You are such a coward, lordy. A miserable little coward.

Just what is your point, you simpleton!!!

It's no great shakes to be as good a speller as Farmerman, the "academic"....

Another famously dishonest know nothing arrives on the scene

How did a patently dishonest boob like you, Contrex, a known liar...

Or if you go to Rabel's house you find one of those same pricks there

You define 'insipid' and yet you haven't the smarts to lose the sig line

My apologies to those members whose JTT insults are not among those quoted above. There were just too many to choose from and I didn't want to be too voluble.

Far be it for me to criticize your use of insults, as I am a practitioner as well. I bring attention to yours only to modify my own, and illustrate that you are not actually a One Trick Pony since you, obviously, treat us to two.

Often you'll find a way to pervert even a totally unrelated topic to provide yourself with a creaky platform. So that a discussion about whether or not pit bulls have an undeserved bad rep is used to segue into:

Quote:
"The most vicious hounds on earth are nothing in comparison to the US, and yet Finn you worry about the reputation of a dog bred by the almost equally despicable British to savage bulls. What about the children in Honduras Finn, or are you too cowardly to discuss them?

Or one about the mind expanding effects of peyote:

Quote:
The nightmarish visions induced by hallucinogens are nothing in comparison to the very real nightmares the world has been forced to suffer through because of the US, and yet Finn you pontificate about consciousness when you yourself have no conscious. What about the asparagus farmers in Chile Finn, or are you too cowardly to discuss them?

And if there ever was a thread on ferns in A2K; in which I happened to post, I'm sure I would find something like this:

Quote:
The number of reproductive spores released during the life of any one of the 12,000 species of Pteridophyta is numbered in the thousands, but this is only a tiny fraction of the number of spores of terror, death and destruction released by the USA over the years of its existence, and yet Finn you prattle on about a plant that has more integrity in one fiddlehead that you have in your entire body. What about the Buddhist temple bombers in Afghanistan Finn, or are you too cowardly to discuss them?

JTT

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 05:50 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
It's called having a wide range of interests JTT. You should try it.

My tags are at least as numerous as yours.

And I see that you follow me in most every thread I participate in.