Football ("soccer") is a sign of U.S.A.’s moral decay

izzythepush

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 10:00 am
@glitterbag,
I'm almost oblivious of her existence. I know who and what she is, but she's hardly ever on the telly, and when she is, it's as a nutjob. That don't actually say that of course, but they don't need to, it's so obvious that's what they're thinking when she's being interviewed.

I think it was over a year ago she was last on. Her football comments were reported, but with an air of who gives a ****.

I think it's good that more Americans are enjoying football, but it's not like the World Cup won't be brilliant and exciting without America.

I've never read any of her stuff either, I don't see the point.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 10:25 am
Coulter might be right about soccer leading to moral decay in the USA. After all, at least with respect to watching the World Cup, it tells the youth of America that it is okay to trip, push, pull, grab clothing, slap, block, etc., your opponent.

It is only on a rare occasion that soccer playing actually breaks out.
JTT

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 10:45 am
@Advocate,
Quote:
Coulter might be right about soccer leading to moral decay in the USA. After all, at least with respect to watching the World Cup, it tells the youth of America that it is okay to trip, push, pull, grab clothing, slap, block, etc., your opponent.

Smile

What do you figure illegally invading sovereign nations tells USA kids? How about terrorist actions against millions, the slaughter of children, raping and pillaging on a collosal scale?

These are GOOD examples?
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 11:45 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

It sounds as if you have a lot of pent up anger yourself, GB.

Well thank you, do I owe you anything for your opinion? I'll try in the future not to hang my head in shame the next time Ann Coulter dreams up another outrage she and her followers think the world needs to know about.

0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 11:56 am
@Advocate,
Have you ever watched a professional Hockey game. It's not pretty when they get in bench clearing fights, or use the hockey stick to hook an opponents blade and pull them off their feet.

I think I'd worry a little more about high school athletes, and college athletes taking steroids. How does crazy pants Ann feel about that? Or is she just looking down her nose and Adam's apple to disparage other countries. I bet she would claim Hershey bars are superior to Belgium chocolate. Coulter is just a loud, angry provocateur, who is an embarrassment. I didn't think anyone outside of this country had even heard of her, that fact that they know a little bit about her does not bode well for worldwide opinion of the average American.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 12:18 pm
It's all about how you pick the team.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 03:43 pm
@glitterbag,
She may embarrass you, but she doesn't embarrass me, and a lot of other Americans. I also don't think she really cares if anyone knows her outside of the US. She's making plenty of money off the people who know her here, both those who like her and those who don't.

As I previously pointed out she has a background of academic accomplishment, she's a best-selling author, she's very bright, quite wealthy and she makes a lot of people laugh. All characteristics that are not likely present in the "average American."

As for her comments about other nations, it's not typical Coulter (her aim is far more focuses on liberals in America) and I'm sure there are plenty of people in other countries who make a good living taking pot shots at America. There's an audience for it, and if someone can make money serving that audience, more power to them.

I can understand why some people don't appreciate her humor, but not denying her wit. It seems to me to be a case of politics more than humor. I'm not a huge fan of Bill Maher (he has a nastier edge to him than Coulter too), but I would never deny he's a talented, funny and bright guy. If Coulter is an embarrassment, she's no more embarrassing than Maher.

Does Dennis Miller embarrass you? He's a whole lot less relentless than Coulter,and, I think, funnier, but I can imagine he can rub liberals the wrong way too.

Advocate

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 03:58 pm
@glitterbag,
Hey, don't get me wrong -- I despise Coulter. Unlike Finn, I find her pretty witless, and not that smart. (She out-and-out called Al Gore a fag, later saying that she was just joking. Some joke!) Her writing is popular with the right because it freely libels the left (lying is very popular with the right).

But I have big problems with soccer, for the reasons stated previously. I have been to ice hockey games, and have not seen the level of fouling that there is in soccer. Also, you don't have the dearth of scoring there is in soccer.

I think that soccer could be a good game, but only if the soccer authorities adopt my suggestions. I hope they give me credit for the changes.
Wilso

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 08:43 pm
Wider goals and dropping of the offside rule have been proposed by many people, for many years. Can't see it happening.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 09:42 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Ann Coulter is funny, as far as stand up comics go. If only she didn't look like the devil incarnate.
roger

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 09:45 pm
@izzythepush,

izzythepush wrote:

fbaezer wrote:

But it is known that the British have damp dungeons where they keep some of the treasures they ripped from the rest of the world.

You're letting your imagination run riot. Keeping treasures in a 'damp dungeon,' wouldn't be good for them. The only dungeons over here are tourist attractions.

Aha! So where do you keep them?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 10:09 pm
@Olivier5,
I don't know, her face is attractive, it's just her somewhat insectoid body that is a bit creepy...especially those hands.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 11:15 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn, you may think that bitchy old crone as witty, and it's very possible she squeaks by the smell test where ever the hell you live. But, if you know well educated, bright, witty, and comically gifted women born and raised in Texas, they are not amused. And those Texas gals know how to hand you your butt in a basket. Ann is grasping at straws, she's rapidly becoming a former-was, not quite a has been, but she's gaining rapidly. Oh, and by the way, Ann Coulter and Bill Maher are friendly, I think they both hang out at the Playboy Mansion.

However, the Supreme Court has already decreed that people who have a ton of money are more important than you or me. So if she gives you hope, God Bless.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 12:00 am
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

Hey, don't get me wrong -- I despise Coulter. Unlike Finn, I find her pretty witless, and not that smart. (She out-and-out called Al Gore a fag, later saying that she was just joking. Some joke!) Her writing is popular with the right because it freely libels the left (lying is very popular with the right).

But I have big problems with soccer, for the reasons stated previously. I have been to ice hockey games, and have not seen the level of fouling that there is in soccer. Also, you don't have the dearth of scoring there is in soccer.

I think that soccer could be a good game, but only if the soccer authorities adopt my suggestions. I hope they give me credit for the changes.

I know, she's a shrill harpy that spouts nonsense, I don't care how popular she is with the knuckle draggers, but learning that she's ACTUALLY PRINTED in other countries I find embarrassing, even if Finn thinks she's witless. I'm not sure how many hockey games you've been to, but my introduction to hockey as I walked into the Civic Center, was stepping over blood stains from a fan who was just watching when the puck left the ice and broke his head. It's brutal, so is boxing, and American football leaves career players with early dementia. Soccer, is fun to watch until the players start their Sarah Bernhardt routines, then it's fun of a different sort. I like to rate the imaginary injuries that make muscular young men collapse when tapped, then fall to the ground in mock agony. It's very high drama.

But back to Ann, she says the things that zenaphobic zealots are too sissy to say. It makes them happy when the gal with the pipe cleaner arms and legs and five pounds of mascara smeared around her bloodshot eyes as she slaps nicotine patches all over ever inch of flesh that the camara can't see, (let me take a minute to say many bright people live in Texas, but the dopey citizens who buy her books because someone told them she's a Yankee you can trust aren't in the first group). So I'm with you there.

Sports have become very unsportsmanlike. Too many kids and professionals on roids. Recipe for disaster. Testosterone makes young men and boys do stupid things. I have 3 nephews, 1 surviving son, and a husband who no longer try's to play softball, but holy crap he had beautiful form while he played.

But talking about pro hockey, they don't score very often and most scores are low. If you get a 4 -3 that's a kickass game.

mr GB and I will be in Raileigh in early October for my husbands highschool reunion. We wil also meet up wil old friends we worked with back in the day, they have one house in Cary, and we plan to visit them. MGB's friend Jeff speakers Russian with a southern accent, he makes me laugh. So I'm looking forward to October.

I'm not scolding you Advocate, but there are very few sports that are still played as if the players knew anything about honor. It's all win regardless of the method. They are just testosterone laden young men (which is normal) being compared to that scrawny estrogen deprived venomous gal on the cusp of menopause (come and gone) who wants to bath in the glow of her profoundly stupid followers. Is this a great country or what.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 12:13 am
@glitterbag,
As a matter of fact I do know quite a few well educated, bright, witty and quite funny (if not comically gifted) women born and raised in Texas (as well as a number who were born elsewhere and live here, if that doesn't somehow disqualify them from whatever point your trying to make) and they like Coulter.

Thanks for that tidbit on Coulter and Maher being pals. I'm afraid I don't subscribe to Entertainment magazine so it's always nice when someone can fill me in on the latest dope.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 12:30 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Oh correction Finn, I don't subscribe to those rags, Maher has mentioned they are friends. I don't blame you for skipping the gossip rags, personally I'd rather not know anything about celebrities. But again, there are a ton of brilliant women in every state in the nation who are so happy they don't get paid to play a shill. I have have to admit being a woman, I can't think of any other women who would trade places with her. Goodie for her, she exploited men who think she's different, and she made a ton of money. Big cheers for her, ho hum.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 12:45 am
I'm afraid curiosity got the better of me and so I did a search on Coulter.

The first item I read was something she wrote about doing something with the 26th amendment, and that how, in 1971, the worst generation ever...blah blah, general not very well thought out snipes at democrats.....blah blah...Clinton terrible, Reagan brilliant, and so it went on.

I have no real interest in USA politics (when it doesn't affect the rest of the world), mainly because it's hard enough to keep up with my own country's shenanigans, but I can immediately spot a windbag when I read one. It was pretty much like the idiotic spammers we get on here from Eastern Europe, but an American version.

She doesn't impress me at all. As far as football goes (call it soccer if you will, but football is the true descriptive name of the game), I'm not sure of her 'decay' argument, seeing as nearly every major game you play over there was imported (albeit with slight adaptations) from Europe, and mainly the UK.
You've been playing those for years and, as the whole world knows, there is no sign of moral decay so far......wait a minute..... that argument doesn't really work......

I'll get back to you. Maybe she's right. Maybe it's us immoral and decaying Europeans that have been causing the problem all along.

Maybe we shouldn't have exported baseball, tennis, golf, hockey, etc.......

God, what have we done?
glitterbag

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 01:02 am
@Lordyaswas,
Well, Ann Coulter is the village idiot of the tea baggers. Even when those dopes hadn't yet been co-opted by the Koch brothers. If you don't understand her point of view, thank God or your teachers or natural intelligence, because she's crazier than an out house rat.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 03:12 am
@glitterbag,
Quote:
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w641/Walter_Hinteler/b_zps87c93feb.jpg

http://vimeo.com/9426271
Quote:
"Refait" is a remake of the football WorldCup match between France and Germany (Seville, Spain, 1982). Shot by Pied La Biche in Villeurbanne (France), every aspect of the fifteen last minutes of the match was carefully reconstructed : players, positions, gestures, intensity, drama etc. It consists in shifting the traditional game area into the urban environment. Each sequence takes place in one or several locations and then the city temporarily becomes the lab for unsual experiments.
The soundtrack is made up of the original commentaries mixed with interviews of the audience recorded during the shooting.
lmur

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 07:10 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Still my favourite (non-Liverpool) game of all time.