Can I get through nursing school as a full time worker and mom?

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 10:07 am
Hello, I currently work full time (mon-fri from 8am-5pm) and I have a baby girl that just turned one. My passion is nursing and I work for a college that has the nursing degree and I get a discount on the degree so I thought that this would be a great time to finally go after my passion and dream of being an L&D RN. Then I thought, can I handle it? Can I juggle being a mom, working full time AND nursing school? I ofcourse would have to get through my pre-reqs first before nursing school though. Anyone in my situation have tips and have made it through nursing school? some advice?

Thank you,

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 10:45 am
Your baby is too young to know whether her mum is home or not, so go through nursing school while you've got the chance before she gets older and starts asking "Where's mummy? I want my mummy!"..Smile
jespah

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 10:57 am
@sjenkins,
Like with any schooling when you're a parent, you'll need to assess your child care situation. And that'll have to be not only for regular care, but also for emergencies, or for when your regular caregiver isn't available.

You'll also need to ascertain - honestly - the kind of support you'll be getting at home. Will you be expected to cook? Keep a clean(er) house? Be the primary childcare giver? Entertain your spouse or significant other's family?

Can you go to school part-time? Cut down on working hours? I ask because at some point you'll be in the field and that's physical labor. This could prove to be rather tiring.

It's a paradox. The older you get, the more you make, so you could cut back on working hours in order to devote them to school or your daughter. But the older you are, the harder it is to handle the physical demands.

I am not saying that it is impossible, but you will need to know these things. If your significant other is still expecting home-cooked meals every night, you'll need to disabuse that person of that notion. If you're dependent on, say, your mother for childcare, assess whether she is capable of running after a child who'll be walking in less than a year, if she isn't already. See what I'm driving at?
sjenkins

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 11:22 am
@jespah,
Thank you so much for your reply! I will probably not be able to cut down on work hours because I need the benefits that full time hours give me like a discounted education. My spouse is a stay at home dad that goes to college part time. he would deff not expect meals every night and I think that he would be very supportive. I work where i would be going to college at. Same campus and everything so being able to walk to work from class or work to class would give me a huge advantage. I was supposed to wait for my spouse to get done with college and then it would be "my turn" to go to college but I just dont think i want to wait..
sjenkins

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 11:24 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
I know, I just feel almost selfish for not spending time with her. But i know that it would be better for my family and future.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 01:17 pm
@sjenkins,
If you can afford to go (and your husband is fine with being the 100%, more or less, caregiver), then go for it. You'll be in a better position financially, for one thing.

BTW, your daughter, it is likely, will be fine. One of my first memories is of being about 3 and going to my mother's library school graduation. She got her Master's Degree while I was an infant, and my brother was a preschooler, and that was in the mid-'60s. It can be done.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 03:36 pm
I would suggest checking with the school and finding out whether part time enrollment is even possible. For nursing, it might not be.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 05:44 pm
Quote:
Sjenkins said: I know, I just feel almost selfish for not spending time with her. But i know that it would be better for my family and future.

Hmm tricky one, I remember some of my schoolmates (aged around 9 ) had parents who both went out to work and the poor kids hated it.
They took me home sometimes after school and I can still remember the awful cold emptiness of their house because their parents didn't get home for another few hours.
Sometimes the kids used to follow me home and invite themselves in because my mother didn't work and was always there for us (God bless her) and they wanted to experience the joy of a warm home with a mum in it.
Two of the kids used to go shoplifting because they liked being arrested by the police because it made them feel wanted.
And another kid used to self-harm just to enjoy being fussed over by the paramedics, I saw them wheeling him out to the ambulance once and he was smiling!
ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 05:51 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I remember being much happier once my mother got a job again.

Personally, I went through a lot of grinding times in school while also working and married, but we didn't have children. I don't know re doing it in nursing school.
This is at the least tricky. Maybe your college people can advise you.
0 Replies

sjenkins

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2014 06:02 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
my daughter is only 1 years old so i dont think that she will remember me being gone a lot until she gets older. Also, when im done with nursing school i will only have to work 3 maybe 4 days a week because they are 12 hour shifts which will mean i will have the rest of the week with my family. So once i finish my nursing degree i will have more funds to be able to support my family and also more time with them. Im glad that your mom got the luxury of being a stay at home mom but some of dont have that luxury and have to work.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2014 10:01 am
Quote:
Sjenkins said: Im glad that your mom got the luxury of being a stay at home mom but some of dont have that luxury and have to work.

My dad had a steady job that paid the bills but we were still a poorish family on a council housing estate, heck we never even had a TV til I was about 8!
And we never did bother with getting a phone or car because we never needed them.
My mother could have got a job I suppose, but I think she instinctively felt a mothers place was at home making sure a hot meal was ready for me and my dad and my sister when we got home instead of getting back to a cold empty house. She was always there for us, God bless her..Smile
sjenkins

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2014 10:38 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
so are you saying that a women's place is to be a stay at home mom that cooks and cleans? isn't that a little sexest? I'm glad that I can influence my daughter to go for her dreams and be independent and make her own money and not have to rely on a man. Being a nurse will allow me to make my own money, be independent and spend A LOT of time with my daughter and husband and teach her to be an independent women that doesn't have to be stuck behind a stove and a mop for the rest of her life. Thank you for your comment that was no help to me whats over. Maybe you should go comment on a forum about men that don't believe in womens rights? I think that would be perfect for you.
roger

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2014 02:14 pm
@sjenkins,
I don't know about sexist, but I would never suggest to anyone that they let themselves become completely dependent upon another, especially a woman with a child.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 06:19 pm
Quote:
Sjenkins said to me: so are you saying that a women's place is to be a stay at home mom that cooks and cleans? isn't that a little sexest?.... Maybe you should go comment on a forum about men that don't believe in womens rights?

As a Christian I'm all for women's rights-
"There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus" (Bible: Galatians 3:28 )

Heck, what's wrong with a woman staying at home to look after family?
Being a good mom and wife is the greatest job there is, and it's a pity Womens Libbers badmouth it!

Bible: Proverbs 31-
A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.

She watches over the affairs of her household.
Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
“Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all.”
0 Replies