The Universe Explained In Under 3 Minutes.

farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 08:04 am
@Brandon9000,
my training in physics, first general physics then physical chemistry and then geophysics, gave me the ability to think in dimensional equivalents where we can solve one set of equations in terms of another item.
Like doing hydraulic equations in terms of drum head theory.
It made me become involved in analog and digital models. Analog models of fluid flow fields were solved in terms of capacitor /resistor networks where we substituted the electrical properties for chemical diffusion and hydraulics.

I didn't call it only a "new way" of thinking but a "confident" way of thinking about new stuff.
I would tell my later students that you could keep only a few field equations in mind and solve problems in everything else in terms of those few. To me, the physics preceded the delving into deeper math. (There became a logical reason for transforms and operators and differential equations)
That's just my experience. I was originally terrible in math (I was hyperactive as a young kid and it took some "help" to overcome or work with). Once I saw the relationship of physics to math , I followed the math train like an obsessed monk.
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 09:24 pm
@farmerman,
I can only tell you that I found my high school physics class to be a life changing experience. It taught me how to analyze a situation scientifically. There is a line in the movie "The Paper Chase" in which professor Kingsfield tells the new class something like, "You come here with a brain full of mush. You leave thinking like a lawyer." Same sort of thing.
Quehoniaomath

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 11:36 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
I can only tell you that I found my high school physics class to be a life changing experience. It taught me how to analyze a situation scientifically. There is a line in the movie "The Paper Chase" in which professor Kingsfield tells the new class something like, "You come here with a brain full of mush. You leave thinking like a lawyer." Same sort of thing.

You have been dumbed down, on purpose,
You only memorize things from people you think are smart and then it makes you feel smarter. But you are really dumbed down.

All provable!
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 04:00 am
@Quehoniaomath,
Quehoniaomath wrote:

Quote:

You have been dumbed down, on purpose,
You only memorize things from people you think are smart and then it makes you feel smarter. But you are really dumbed down.

All provable!

Who asked you? You can take it as a given that nothing I say is directed at you. Mind your own business.
farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 04:20 am
@Brandon9000,
my problem was that my original "mush" was like Quahog's. I was severely hyperactive and a little ADD and had the attention span of a squirrel. It was my counseling and a nascent interest in BIOLOGY nd ART that opened my eyes. Physics came later and really helped me become focused

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 04:57 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

my problem was that my original "mush" was like Quahog's. I was severely hyperactive and a little ADD and had the attention span of a squirrel. It was my counseling and a nascent interest in BIOLOGY nd ART that opened my eyes. Physics came later and really helped me become focused

Hard to believe, "knowing" you now. I don't remember you mentioning the art.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 05:00 am
My high school chemistry lab proved a life changing experience. Fortunately, they didn't have any evidence with which to pin it on me. I abandoned the sciences thereafter as having too high a risk of incarceration.
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 08:40 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
Who asked you? You can take it as a given that nothing I say is directed at you. Mind your own business.

of course not. this is a discussion forum,so if I want to react to some bullshit you write down, I will react.

an why do you have such a low frustartion tolerance (lft)?

thank you.

0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 10:53 am
Quote:
The Trouble with Gravity

Newton’s attracting gravitational force is undoubtedly one of the most
widely taught and accepted theories in all of science, becoming so
deeply ingrained in our thinking and science over the centuries that
this theory has largely become synonymous with the very phenome
non of gravity itself. It is almost inconceivable today to separate our
everyday experience of gravity from Newton’s intuitive proposal of an
attracting force emanating from all matter; yet, as shown in the
following discussions,
Newton’s theory actually contains many unexplained mysteries
and scientifically impossible claims

Such problems should prevent any new theory from becoming widely
accepted as fact, leaving it only with the status of a proposal or
hypothesis; however, the compelling nature of Newton’s proposal
combined with the lack of a more viable theory has meant that it has
largely escaped such scrutiny

0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 04:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Absolutely!
The vid is for those who are, as Dale would say, "Average clods" Smile

And Brandon, do your research on the uploader of this vid before judging his academic skills.
Stereotyping is as a fly en route to his hypocritical demise.
0 Replies