Abuse Comes to Gitmo

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 09:16 am
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Two British Muslim men at the center of a recent Supreme Court case say the U.S. military is deceiving the public about interrogation techniques they claim they were subjected to during their two-year detention at the U.S. Naval Base in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

In an open letter to President Bush and members of Congress, Shafiq Rasul and Asif Iqbal claim the Pentagon is lying when officials denied using physically abusive and humiliating techniques to elicit information from them.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/05/13/gitmo.detainees.abuse/index.html

In a related development, the State Department said Thursday that the International Committee of the Red Cross recently provided the Bush administration with a report outlining its concerns about detainees at Guantanamo Bay. (Full story)

In their letter, Rasul and Iqbal claimed they were shackled for hours on end during questioning by military interrogators.

They said they were stripped naked while women were brought into the room and that they were subjected to dogs, strobe lights, loud music and freezing temperatures to disorient, frighten and degrade them.

The men also claimed other detainees were beaten, one of them so bady he required hospitalization.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 726 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 09:33 am
Makes perfect sense. Those poor fools weren't even considered prisoners of war, hence no Geneva Convention protection. And Gen'l Miller, who I strongly suspect may be in hot water soon, ran that prison before taking over Iraq's prisons...
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 09:39 am
My guess is, Rumsfeld will sacrifice Miller, just like these low level grunts are being hung out to dry, if the Abu Ghraib scandal continues to engulf the Bush administration with calls for Rumsfeld's head on a platter.
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 09:51 am
Infowarrior, how dare you be so unkind about our wonderful Defense Secretary? These stories are vile nonsense created by the enemies of Herr Fuhrer Rumsfeld, Herr President Bush and the Fourth Reich. You may be certain that the administration's treatment of prisoners has always been entirely in accordance with the Gestapo's version of the Geneva Convention. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 09:55 am
John:

You're right.

Lable me an "enemy combatant" and haul me off to jail! Laughing
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 01:11 pm
Be careful of what you wish for, infowarrior! Is that Lenin statue still standing in Fremont? That's bound to attract gov't attention...
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 01:59 pm
Somebody on able2know predicted this was just the tip of the iceberg.
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 03:35 pm
D'artagnan:

Laughing Yeah, so far no radical, right-winger has managed to blow it up or anything.

Funny you should mention it, D'art. When people come in from out of town and they see it, for some reason people always ask if it's Abe Lincoln.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 03:45 pm
d'art and info

I'm out of vancouver right now more than at home, but come later in summer, we really ought to round up the folks in our corner of the world and get together.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 04:29 pm
Sure thing, blatham. We can troop over to infowarrior's neighborhood and toast Lenin. Maybe get a group photo there for the A2K archives. There are some decent pubs in that area!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 04:33 pm
Changing the digression and getting back on topic:

And we believe Rumps when he says that there are a number of investigations ongoing getting to the bottom of this - all under the auspices of the Military Question

I suppose no one will be under oath and all top leadership will be in the same room at the same time, no notes or recording devices allowed.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 04:43 pm
Right. In other words, business as usual for the Bush White House...
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 04:51 pm
I think it is another arrogant, unbelievable move that 300 prisoners have been released and the interrogation methods have been changed - but it isn't in reaction to recent events or as a Rumps directive. Get real!!!! That's our problem, they just can not get the picture.
0 Replies