Very Disturbing But Also Interesting Read

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 05:22 am
I'm sure because it comes from a British source, the usual suspects will call it an outright lie....but, like the headline of this thread says interesting but disturbing.......

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1215613,00.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 752 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Deecups36

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 06:07 am
hi Bi-Polar Bear- What a depressing, but informative article. Yes, if you do a bit of research you will easily find that death follows the likes of Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, and Wolfowitz around like a bad stench. They are death merchants.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 06:17 am
Quote:
William Odom, a retired general and former member of the National Security Council who is now at the Hudson Institute, a conservative thinktank, reflects a wide swath of opinion in the upper ranks of the military. "It was never in our interest to go into Iraq," he told me. It is a "diversion" from the war on terrorism; the rationale for the Iraq war (finding WMD) is "phoney"; the US army is overstretched and being driven "into the ground"; and the prospect of building a democracy is "zero". In Iraqi politics, he says, "legitimacy is going to be tied to expelling us. Wisdom in military affairs dictates withdrawal in this situation. We can't afford to fail, that's mindless. The issue is how we stop failing more. I am arguing a strategic decision."

One high-level military strategist told me that Rumsfeld is "detested", and that "if there's a sentiment in the army it is: Support Our Troops, Impeach Rumsfeld".

Bush should have fired him.

That he did not is a grievous mistake.

That is a good thing, for it reinforces the fact we'll be rid of him in November.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 07:11 am
While the article was interesting reading,I saw nothing in it that suggested a mlitary coup was going on.
The US military is not interested in a coup.That would mean an armed uprising against the govt by the military.
So,to use the term coup is misleading and wrong,not to mention inflammatory.
Is there growing dissatisfaction? Maybe.
Threats of a military coup? NO.
The author of that story needs to rethink his conclusions.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 07:16 am
mysteryman wrote:
While the article was interesting reading,I saw nothing in it that suggested a mlitary coup was going on.
The US military is not interested in a coup.That would mean an armed uprising against the govt by the military.

I don't think a coup is the conclusion the author draws.....I think he's talking about a the loss of support and trust of the WH among the military......and reminding people that todays fiction has the capability of turning into tomorrows fact....a food for thought kind of thing....that's what I took from it......
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 07:22 am
A fundamental descriptor of what this adminstration wished to achieve in its presentation to the public, and which it made remarkable 'progress' towards achieving, was that everyone be 'on message'...internal discord was the big baddy.

But they've screwed up in so many areas, and to such a degree, that folks are rising up in the party, in the military, in intelligence and foreign affairs, in the media, and even from the adminstration itself who are shouting....'bad decisions, bad consequences'.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 07:33 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

I don't think a coup is the conclusion the author draws.....I think he's talking about a the loss of support and trust of the WH among the military......and reminding people that todays fiction has the capability of turning into tomorrows fact....a food for thought kind of thing....that's what I took from it......

If the author didnt mean "coup",then the author shouldnt use the word.
That is a very specific word,and it means a certain thing.
If the author didnt draw that conclusion,but used that word anyway,then that means that the aothor was trying to be inflammatory and extremely biased.
I was in the military till I got wounded in Iraq,and nobody I know in the service mistrusts the WH.
It is true that some of the military dont like what we are doing,but that doesnt mean we dont trust the WH.
I think the author is trying to paint a picture of something that doesnt exist.
0 Replies

greenumbrella

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 07:38 am
Laying down one's life for oil seems rather shallow to me. Little wonder Bush is finding less and less support amongst military personnel.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 07:43 am
mysteryman wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

If the author didnt mean "coup",then the author shouldnt use the word.
That is a very specific word,and it means a certain thing.
If the author didnt draw that conclusion,but used that word anyway,then that means that the aothor was trying to be inflammatory and extremely biased.
I was in the military till I got wounded in Iraq,and nobody I know in the service mistrusts the WH.
It is true that some of the military dont like what we are doing,but that doesnt mean we dont trust the WH.
I think the author is trying to paint a picture of something that doesnt exist.

Actually Merriam-Webster has 10 entries for coup.....it means more than one thing depending on context. You are adressing the authors use of the word to mean an armed insurrection, or so it seems. That is not the definitive meaning of the word.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 08:04 am
I suppose laying down one's life for ones friend's oil is rather noble. Especially as seems likely, we won't get any ourselves.
0 Replies