The Legal Dangers of Having Children

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 09:47 pm

The Legal Dangers of Having Children
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/palm-beach/fl-west-boynton-child-wandering-20140617,0,1394677.story

By Adam Sacasa, Sun Sentinel
4:18 p.m. EDT, June 17, 2014

A 5-year-old boy found wandering alone at 2:30 a.m.
led to the arrest of a man who had gone fishing

and a woman deputies found passed out with a half-empty bottle of vodka nearby,
according to a Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office arrest report.

Deputies were called Monday after a person said they found the boy,
whose name was not released, walking alone in the Indian Hills
apartment complex on the 11000 block of South Military Trail.

The witness asked the child where he lived and said the boy led him
to an apartment. The witness opened the door and yelled inside
but no one answered.

Two deputies arrived and started knocking loudly but once again,
no answer, but moments later a man, later identified by deputies
as Pavel Krutakov, 29, came running to the door.

When deputies asked where he was, he said he had been fishing
down the street, according to the report.
[All emfasis has been added by David.]

I 'm SHOCKED by this, the decrease in freedom relative to
the world into which I was born in the last century.
The guy simply WENT FISHING, leaving an adult woman
in company with the child (their child??? her child????)
and he gets arrested for that!!!! Does that mean that no one is safe,
if he has a child residing in his house???

In the 1980s, I had a girlfriend, Marilyn, and her child Nancy
(who is genetically un-related to me) residing with me.
I came n went as I pleased, as I had before their arrival.
Marilyn was quite a drinker. I feel for that poor guy
and as an American citizen, I resent the police troubling that guy.

So, we are left to take the inference
that if u have a child in residence in your home,
then u dare not 1. go fishing,
nor
2. get drunk inside your own home.
IF that be true, then having children around is SUPER-TOXIC.

This is supposed to be the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave.

Do YOU feel safe??

David

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,516 • Replies: 13
No top replies

glitterbag

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 10:02 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Few people who have children leave them with drunks. It's stupid to be incapacitated and assume you are being responsible. Being a parent means you don't get ****-faced and expect a three year old to be responsible to take care of you or his/herself. If you think children will impact on your party lifestyle, wait until you get bored with the boozer life style, but if it is that important to you, just don't have children. We can't predict MS or Strokes and any number of serious illness, but we usually are very aware of our desire to party, drink, whatever. If you haven't grown out of the eternal youth thing, don't bring children into the world.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 10:26 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
Few people who have children leave them with drunks.
There is no evidence
that the woman was drunk when the guy went fishing
If people are away from home fishing,
thay have no way of knowing WHO is drinking.
Arresting him was dangerously irrational.
I hope that he gets a good judgment in tort for false arrest.

glitterbag wrote:
It's stupid to be incapacitated and assume you are being responsible. Being a parent means you don't get ****-faced and expect a three year old to be responsible to take care of you or his/herself. If you think children will impact on your party lifestyle, wait until you get bored with the boozer life style, but if it is that important to you, just don't have children. We can't predict MS or Strokes and any number of serious illness, but we usually are very aware of our desire to party, drink, whatever. If you haven't grown out of the eternal youth thing, don't bring children into the world.
He is a 5 year old, who chose to go for a walk
in the middle of the night.

OK, Glitterbag: if the same thing had happened while she
had simply SLEPT at 2:30 AM, with no alcohol involvement,
then wud u similarly want her arrested?????

and the fisherman, too ??
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 10:31 pm
@glitterbag,
Omsig separates the actions of fishing and child rearing. He's pissed the guy was taken away from his catfish foray even as he was pissed because the guy had left his daughter with a bad person (either he knew she was a drunk or he didn't know her well enough to leave his daughter with her) and he is outraged at the lack of responsibility dad showed. And he ratted the lady out. And we all know how Omsig feels about self-responsibility and not meeting ones responsibilities. And what he feels about rats.

It could happen.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 11:22 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:
Omsig separates the actions of fishing and child rearing.
Of course; one has nothing to do with the other.

bobsal u1553115 wrote:
He's pissed the guy was taken away from his catfish foray even as he was pissed because the guy had left his daughter [a 5 year old boy] with a bad person (either he knew she was a drunk or he didn't know her well enough to leave his daughter with her) [possibly the boy's mom; that's un-certain] and he is outraged at the lack of responsibility dad showed. [Its perfectly responsible to GO FISHING.]

And he ratted the lady out. [NO. That's not what was reported;
READ the opening paragraf.]
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 08:02 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Does this belong in the Florida weird news story thread?

Any way - if the dad knew this woman he left his son with was drunk then yes he is being neglectful. He might as well have left his young child by himself as this woman is uncapable of caring for the child. Legally depending on the state, there is an age where a child is not supposed to be left on his own. I cannot imagine that in any state 5 years old would be the threshold (even in Florida).

However, if he left his son in the care of an adult and this adult was fully capable of caring for his child then no he is not at fault. For example, say he left, the woman had not been drinking, but then upon him leaving starting pounding down drinks, then he should not be at fault. Unless of course, this woman is a known drinker and he would suspect she would likely get hammered. Whether legal or not (I'd imagine that would be more a gray area) - it is still dumb. I wouldn't leave a young child with a known drunk.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 11:02 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
Does this belong in the Florida weird news story thread?

Any way - if the dad knew this woman he left his son with was drunk then yes he is being neglectful. He might as well have left his young child by himself as this woman is uncapable of caring for the child. Legally depending on the state, there is an age where a child is not supposed to be left on his own. I cannot imagine that in any state 5 years old would be the threshold (even in Florida).

However, if he left his son in the care of an adult and this adult was fully capable of caring for his child then no he is not at fault. For example, say he left, the woman had not been drinking, but then upon him leaving starting pounding down drinks, then he should not be at fault. Unless of course, this woman is a known drinker and he would suspect she would likely get hammered. Whether legal or not (I'd imagine that would be more a gray area) - it is still dumb.

I wouldn't leave a young child with a known drunk.
We agree completely, Linkat.
If a parent is subject to criminal prosecution
for going fishing and leaving his 5 year old boy
with his sober mother, or other woman,
who then begins to drink, then America is no longer a free country.

Every time that I read a story like this,
it THRILLS me that I have no children
and therefore remain immune to police harassment of this nature,
but Florida and America are filled with millions of parents
who are not so secure. Thay need to elect reasonable politicians
so that thay will remain free from jail.

For that matter, what if the mother is a non-drinker
who SLEEPS at 2:30 AM, when the boy decides to go for a walk
as this 5 year old gentleman did. Either way, u get the same result, right ??

Shud it be un-lawful to fall asleep if a kid is in the house???

I fall asleep very, very ofen while at the computer (without drinking)
or while watching TV. I don t believe that I 'd be able
to avoid that, if a kid were here.

David
Linkat

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 11:42 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I'd like to think there was more to the story than what is stated here for the dad to be in trouble with the police. But of course we don't know and sometimes I do think they (the police) go overboard.

You will like this story then too.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/06/18/man-saves-child-crawling-near-highway/10728291/

" The parents of a 15-month-old girl who nearly wandered out on a highway are grateful for a Good Samaritan who helped her.

After the incident, Timothy Pickens was charged with neglect and his wife may soon be charged as well. The parents say the charges are unwarranted.

"We did not neglect our children; we (were) with them the whole time; we just stepped outside for a few minutes," Timothy Pickens said.

The couple said they were in their backyard bagging aluminum cans for recycling while Emily was napping in the house with her three older brothers, including 12-year-old James, who was supposed to be watching her. When they came back inside, the front door was open and Emily was gone."

You know this happened to my little brother - not wandering along a highway, but a busy main street. My mom was napping as she worked at night - my older brother was supposed to be watching him, but all it takes is a few seconds for a little one to get out and run down the street.

He liked to escape from the house when he was toddler. My parents had to put locks toward the top of the door because he was so good at escaping he figured out how to unlock the regular locks. Then one day we caught him with a broom trying to unlock the lock near the top of the door.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 12:02 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
I'd like to think there was more to the story than what is stated here for the dad to be in trouble with the police. But of course we don't know and sometimes I do think they (the police) go overboard.

You will like this story then too.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/06/18/man-saves-child-crawling-near-highway/10728291/

" The parents of a 15-month-old girl who nearly wandered out on a highway are grateful for a Good Samaritan who helped her.

After the incident, Timothy Pickens was charged with neglect and his wife may soon be charged as well. The parents say the charges are unwarranted.

"We did not neglect our children; we (were) with them the whole time; we just stepped outside for a few minutes," Timothy Pickens said.

The couple said they were in their backyard bagging aluminum cans for recycling while Emily was napping in the house with her three older brothers, including 12-year-old James, who was supposed to be watching her. When they came back inside, the front door was open and Emily was gone."

You know this happened to my little brother - not wandering along a highway, but a busy main street. My mom was napping as she worked at night - my older brother was supposed to be watching him, but all it takes is a few seconds for a little one to get out and run down the street.

He liked to escape from the house when he was toddler. My parents had to put locks toward the top of the door because he was so good at escaping he figured out how to unlock the regular locks. Then one day we caught him with a broom trying to unlock the lock near the top of the door.
Parents shud not live their lives in a state of terror
that thay are half a step away from incarceration

because of un-predicted behavior of their children
until the kids reach voting age.

In the 1980s, my girlfriend, Marilyn, arrived to live with me
with her 2 year old daughter, Nancy, who is not genetically related to me.
Thay remained for about 2 years. Once, Nancy was sleeping, out cold,
and Marilyn wanted me to drive her somewhere for an errand
that was important to her, for about 45 minutes. I did.
When we returned home, we found that c.4 year old Nancy
had run down the street (un-harmed). We had not anticipated that.
Un-like the unfortunate fisherman tho, we had no involvement with police.
Linkat

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 12:45 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Now I have to say that was neglectful of your friend Marilyn. It is one thing to be in the house with a young child and you are sleeping or turn your back and there is a totally different thing leaving a very young child completely ALONE in a house or apartment.

Even if the child did not run out of the house, there is so many things a young child can get into that can harm them.

I am a parent and would never leave my sleeping child alone at home without anyone in the house. The mom was lucky that is all that happened to the child.

No errand could be important enough for me that I would leave a child in the house by herself.

As a parent you cannot avoid all possible harm to your child --- ie the child is so crafty that they can quietly pull a chair over with a broom to try to unlock a lock that is way above their head. But a parent should provide the right precautions --- ie putting locks out of reach for such a crafty child; not leaving a child alone in the house; having a responsible adult at home with a child, etc.

She, your friend, did not provide the right precautions leaving a young child all alone.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 01:39 pm
@Linkat,
<chuckle snort> Are the any other kind of Florida stories?
Linkat

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 01:46 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
If you haven't seen it - there is a whole slew of these florida news stories

http://able2know.org/topic/191324-1
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 06:40 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
She, your friend, did not provide the right precautions
leaving a young child all alone.
She thought that the time involved
wud be so short that it 'd be OK.
Linkat

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 06:24 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I understand that - but she thought wrong. You do not leave a young child in a house/apartment alone for a minute. Small children do crazy quick things - they are not capable of knowing the repurcussions.

I am sure she did not mean anything or to have her child harmed - but most reasonable parents realize that you cannot leave a child that young alone like that for a minute.
0 Replies