For the dems, who is there besides Hillary?

georgeob1

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 09:01 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I generally agree with your views on Hillary. Mostly though I can't figure out just why she would want the job. By now she should know she has a tin ear for the public's interests, and simply doesn't play all that well under continuing exposure. Worse for her, back in the White House Bill will be more out of her control than ever. How will she maintain her own identity under those conditions. However, ambition and the appetite for power are sometimes dangerous things that can overcome common sense and self-interest.

I increasingly have the feeling that the American people are coming bask to the recognition that freedom is better than bureaucratic rule and that government fairly quickly corrupts nearly everything it touches. At some point the consistent deceptions and truly remarkable ineptitude of the current administration in nearly everything it touches will surely lead to its downfall.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 09:05 pm
@georgeob1,
It's the taint of big money that's corrupting the government. Freedom is a buzz word they feed the fundamentalists to keep them occupied while the business of oligarchy gets more deeply entrenched.
georgeob1

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 09:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

It's the taint of big money that's corrupting the government. Freedom is a buzz word they feed the fundamentalists to keep them occupied while the business of oligarchy gets more deeply entrenched.

That's easy to say for someone who is already willing to surrender his freedom in exchange for bureaucratic promises. I'm not with you there.

In world in which "progressive" regulators gleefully extort huge contributions from the industries unfortunate enough to fall under their regulation and in which government enforced labor union monopolies far outweigh the Koch brothers and other left wing boogeymen in financing political activity, I am truly surprised to see you (or anyone) still reciting this bullshit.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 09:29 pm
Politician Republicans and Democrats are essentially bought and paid for. Some of us want to restore the nation to a semblance of the way it was before it got out of hand. Others want to defund the most vulnerable people and scream about freedom.
georgeob1

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 09:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
Who are "the most vulnerable people" you evidently have in mind. Is their vulnerability a result of the likelihood that folks won't vote for them without huge spending on voter roundups and publicity?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2014 09:42 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I increasingly have the feeling that the American people are coming bask to the recognition that freedom is better than bureaucratic rule and that government fairly quickly corrupts nearly everything it touches. At some point the consistent deceptions and truly remarkable ineptitude of the current administration in nearly everything it touches will surely lead to its downfall.

We can only hope, but I'm afraid I I don't have that much faith in a very large segment of my fellow Americans.

I think Hillary may very well be thinking

Quote:
"I'm too old for this ****. I've lived in the White House for 8 years, been a NY Senator and flown over a million mile as Secretary of State. I already have a set of silverware bearing the White House seal, there isn't even a postage size country I haven't been to, I live in a mansion on Embassy Row in DC with several other places around the world, I make $200,000 a speech and I even dodged sniper fire at a Bosnian airport. Why do I need to go through the crap it takes to become president? And if I do win, political cartoonists are going to make my ass look like a freight train, Bill is going to crash every meeting and press conference I hold with that goddamned smirk on his face, and I'm going to have to look at Ted Cruz on TV every night telling America what a hapless shrew I am. I tried this once before and it sucked. I couldn't take losing again.F*ck this machine, I ain't doing it!

But at the same time she may very well be thinking:

Quote:
"I didn't put up with all of Bill's **** and swallow a daily dose of humiliation for nothing! I know all those women in the Cabinet and those Senators' wives were laughing at me behind my back and saying that my ass was so big, no wonder I couldn't keep Bill from roaming! A lousy Senator's job and Secretary of State under that SOB Obama doesn't cut it. It's not enough! I'm owed more! I was supposed to be the first woman president before there was a first black president. I deserve to be the first woman to be called Madam President. Everyone told me I had it locked and then they jumped ship on me for a guy who should have been getting me coffee! There is still a lot payback to deliver to a lot of a-holes too!"

In the end I think she will suck it up and go for it, but she has looked frayed and tired of late. Maybe she's just trying to determine if there's another Obama out there waiting to take her down again.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 12:29 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
but she has looked frayed and tired of late.
there is that, that her book is a real yawner, and that lately she has seemed to have even less retail political skill than she showed in 08 and we all know how that turned out.

Rusty? Too old? Does not really want it? Could it be that she is getting sick and tired of what a **** hole Washington has become and will elect instead to live out her life giving speeches on the stuff she cares about enjoying the wealth that she has always thought she deserved? She and Gates got along famously, maybe they now share this view of Washington.

Up till two months ago I said " of course she is running". Now I am not so sure.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 08:40 am
@georgeob1,
You have to know I referred to cutting food stamps, stopping extended unemployment benefits, cutting welfare rolls, attempting to turn Social Security into a cash cow for big business (or eliminate it all together, in many quarters), same with Medicare, Medicaid and Obamacare, to name some of the more prominent. But open ended spending goes on for the military and corporate welfare and corporate tax breaks go unabated. All the cash flows uphill. We are at Hoover and pre-Hoover style government, pretty much.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 08:45 am
For liberals, the biggest obstacle to a Hillary presidency, is, she is too close to big business, like Bill and Obama, and her policies probably would be too similar to theirs, which is a boost to Republican goals, since they haven't acted like true progressives, in many important areas.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 08:49 am
My American pals at other websites tell me big businesses such as weapons manufacturers and sinister "secret societies" in US politics are the ones who decide who the next President is going to be.
For example they decided America needed a black President, so they rigged it so Obama would win
Ragman

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 09:24 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
For example they decided America needed a black President, so they rigged it so Obama would win

Who, pray tell, is 'they'?

Seriously, are you for real? Stick to your religious rants, will 'ya? You're clueless about American politics.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 09:28 am
@Ragman,
His religious rants are bogus too.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 09:30 am
@Ragman,
Work it out for yourself guys:-
The Powers fielded Johnny McCain against Obama because they knew the US voting public would think he was too old to stand the rigours of being President, and vote for Obama instead.

Next time they put Mitt Romney up against Obama because they knew the voters wouldn't vote for a squeaky-clean shop window dummy, heck Romney's teeth were even whiter than the White House!
So both times the Powers made sure their boy Obama was handed victory on a plate..Smile

Personally I'm still hoping Sarah Palin re-enters the political arena, nobody better mess with that gal, just look how she's itching to hit that big red button on USS Stennis-

Captain- "Be careful not to touch it ma'am or you'll launch an airstrike against Moscow"
Sarah- "Perish the thought! Er...why don't you go get yourself a coffee Captain, I'll look after things here..."

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub1/Palin-onStennis-Jun09.jpg
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 09:34 am
@edgarblythe,
Sometimes, because I've got somewhat poor self-control, I can't resist commenting - even when the bullshit gets this deep. I'll work harder to get a better handle on this character flaw of mine.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 09:45 am
Hey Ragman you say in your profile- "I enjoy civilized debate with informed, rational people"

Sorry to have to tell you, but you won't find anybody like that in this nuthouse..Smile
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 10:17 am
@hawkeye10,
I don't buy "rusty," unless "rusty" means "burned-out."

For the classic "A-type" personality with extra-ordinary ambition and drive there comes a time when you just can't summon the desire and energy to keep it up or go another round. She's 69 years old and been operating on over-drive for a very long time. If she decides not to run, beneath everything else it will be burn-out.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 10:24 am
@edgarblythe,
Biden's a weird mix of too slick and half goofy. Bill Clinton chewed him up in their primaries.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 10:26 am
@Advocate,
Biden looks like a NE USA GOP. I'd take him for a Republican.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 10:26 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Rusty might be relabeled " willingness to suffer the little people".

IDK, but she is off.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 10:28 am
@edgarblythe,
Me, too. If I had to.
0 Replies