ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2014 08:20 pm
@boomerang,
Ok, you get four points.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 05:32 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordy, sorry I missed your post, and , first, let me say that I m very sorry about your loss.
However you are correct my friend has been ubject to many stressful years of "waiting" and deteriorating health before he got his new parts.
The kidney transplant centers are "regionalized" here in US. My friend lives in the Allentown (pa) Through Trenton(nj) metro area where their transplant philosophy is apparently quite conservative. They apparently keep their lists full by demanding donor/recipients meet these extremely fine tolerances for whatever genetic markers they wish to use to determine compatibility between donors and recipients of kidneys and other organs. Consequently, as Ive learned, the llentown transplantation teams does NOT get to do as many transplants as guidelines recommend.
My friend got "Reassigned" to a Baltimore trnplantation center where the guidelines are based upon doing MORE transplants and controlling follow up therapy with these modern anti-rejection meds.

Th outcomes of the Baltimore/DC teams are actually better than those of Allentown Trenton. (mostly because they have a much higher experience level in actual trnsplntation.

My friend received 2 kidneys because the donor was going to have his kidneys go to 2 different candidates but the other candidate had developed an extreme infection and the window of viability for the other kidney was closing rpidly.
SO my friend had NO kidneys to having two new ones that were harvested from a murder victim. My friend has already been asking about the family of his donor and , as I talked to him lst night, he wants to viit them.

Im thinking that he should spend some quality time thinking about this before he goes and does it. I told him to talk with his doctors to see whether they have any guidelines about contct with terminal donors, (especially where violence is involved)

chai2

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 07:27 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

How about...]

Urine luck!!

XXX hospital is having a BOGO* on used kidneys!

DING DING DING!!!!

We have a winner!!!

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 07:34 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

My friend received 2 kidneys because the donor was going to have his kidneys go to 2 different candidates but the other candidate had developed an extreme infection and the window of viability for the other kidney was closing rpidly.

I was going to ask you why he was getting two kidneys.

I feel sorry for the other would be recepient. I hope he finds another match soon.

That's heartbreaking about the reason there were organs available. The family made a terribly hard decision at the worst time possible. I'm sure this situation comes up all the time where the recepient wants to meet the family. There are firm policies and procedures for this I'm certain. Obviously the family would be the ones calling the shots as to if they want to meet with anyone.

Who knows how many people this murder victim was able to help? Potentially many.
Ragman

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 07:43 am
@Lordyaswas,
My sincere sympathies go to you and your family on your loss.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 07:46 am
@chai2,
I will ask whether the donor already had a donor declration on his or her drivers license.

Our state has that option listed on our drivers licenses for people under 75.

Yes, the lives lost in the donor process seem to be ignored , but as my friend has reminded me, "the recipient suddenly acquires a sense of duty" to the donor and family.

This will be an ongoing saga Im sure because my friend is quite a good writer.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 08:56 am
"Now all you need are some fava beans and a fine chianti."
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 08:56 am
@Lordyaswas,
Sorry to hear that mate.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 09:05 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Yes, the lives lost in the donor process seem to be ignored , but as my friend has reminded me, "the recipient suddenly acquires a sense of duty" to the donor and family.

I would feel like I needed to life a good a life as possible to honor the person who allowed me to live on.

Yeah, that's a big responsibility and duty.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 10:44 am
@Lordyaswas,
I am very sorry too and wanted to prompt people to become an organ donor - via registering ahead of time. I know many states have it via their driver's liscence.

Also hope your friend continues doing well.

My best friend's boy is going through some of this. They have been trying for a live donor, but unfortunately are having difficulty getting a qualifying match. Poor boy is beginning dialysis. From what I hear he is being a real trooper about it.

It is a sad thing/way to get a transplant, but just think of it this way - a wonderful gift the gift of life and to me it makes it seems as if you keep part of your loved one (or yourself) alive. Hubby and me both have registered (even before my friend's boy getting ill). And also talk with your family about it so they are prepared and know your wishes.

My opinion - when I go - take whatever you need and can use - it will be of no use to me when I die - might as well be much more useful than just worm food.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2014 01:12 pm
@Lordyaswas,
My sincere sympathies.
0 Replies