What Will Happen 6/30?

Sofia

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 06:09 pm
Who are we handing Iraq over to?

Will we stay on under the Iraqi leadership after the handover? Won't that be when the hell breaks loose?

I've heard this and that, but the plan seems to change...

I think the 6/30 date was a mistake.

Does anyone know?

Opinions, prognostications?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 670 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 06:21 pm
It is hard to believe that so much dire action has been left to one man.

Brahimi is to appoint an Iraqi leader to serve until January? He is to determine our exit? The argued Council is to take power on July 1?

And the Council doesn't want the UN involved?

This is all I can find.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 08:08 pm
Sorry, I don't have anything to add, but I think this a good idea for a thread and I think it could get very interesting.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 08:22 pm
I will make a bold prediction.

There will be a televised shaking of hands, and some document will be signed.

Nothing else will happen.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 09:09 pm
I think you are probably right, ebrown. Iraq will still be a complete mess for a long time.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 09:18 pm
It will allow GWB to crow loud and long that his Iraq policy was a success. Not that it is or will be but this has been a virtual presidency from the beginning.
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 09:33 pm
sofia:

There are indications (as many of us predicted) from none other than Rumsfeld himself that the 6/30 date was premature and might not stay.

As Iraq is in chaos, despite the cheery reports that all is well, reality suggests something quite different and more grave is underway there.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 12:12 am
I think none of this has anything at all to do with reality, even if a ceremony happens in the midst of multiple ongoing or outflowing scenarios.

I didn't want to be there and said so, a woman in black for a while. I still don't want to be there. I don't fathom when is the best time to go since we are there. I don't want to undercut trooops in the field, those troops I didn't want to be in the field in the first place.
I don't like us just running, ick, but I less like us spending hundreds of billions - if not just now, in time - more that we don't have to spend in this debilitating perambulation. I might call it an oilseeking perambulation but I think the oil part only follows from the process, was probably not the key motivator.

6/30? That was my father's birthday. Would that all the world would be happy then. Apt not to happen.
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 06:21 am
Who is going to run Iraq after June 30th?

John "the Butcher" Negroponte? Please! Just find another Iraqi thug like Saddam who will do the bidding of the American oil industry and get the heck out of there.

The deaths of young Americans must end.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 08:11 am
Quote:
The [WS]Journal reports that the U.S. has recently created "commissions," with five-year mandates and U.S.-appointed staffers, that will effectively oversee various Iraqi ministries. U.S. officials said they're only doing that to ensure that the incoming appointed government doesn't make irreversibly bad choices. But the WSJ says the upshot is that "the new Iraqi government will have little control over its armed forces, lack the ability to make or change laws and be unable to make major decisions within specific ministries without tacit U.S. approval."
http://slate.msn.com/id/2100435/
0 Replies