The A2K World Cup 2014 Striker Fantasy Game

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 01:22 am
ALGERIA v GERMANY (KICK OFF 21.00 BST)

Facts and Figures from The Telegraph....

Germany (Possible, 4-2-3-1): Neuer; Boateng, Hummels, Mertesacker, Hoewedes; Schweinsteiger, Lahm; Kroos, Özil, Götze; Müller
Algeria (Possible, 5-3-2): Mbolhi; Belkalem, Halliche, Mesbah, Medjani, Mandi; Bentaleb, Feghouli, Brahimi; Slimani, Djabou.
Referee: Sandro Ricci (Brazil).
Betting: Germany 3-10, Algeria 9-1, Draw 4-1.
Team News
Germany miss Arsenal's Lukas Podolski with a thigh problem suffered against the USA.
Full back Jérôme Boateng remains a doubt with a knee injury.
Algeria should be unchanged from the team that drew with Russia.
Match Notes
Thirty-two years is a long time to wait for revenge.
It was way back in 1982 when Germany and Austria played out what went down in the history books as the "Disgrace of Gijon" to eliminate Algeria from the World Cup.
On Monday in Porto Alegre, Algeria faces Germany for the first time since that infamous match - with a spot in the quarterfinals on the line.
On paper, this match should be no contest.
Stat of the game: Algeria have played Germany twice and beaten them on both occasions. They are one of only three countries never to have lost to the Germans.
John Ley's prediction: Germany 1 Algeria 0.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 01:28 am
With Algeria Germany, the mind games have already started......

"For a momentous meeting that does not need any extra heat Philipp Lahm, the Germany captain, nevertheless stoked the tension between his nation and Algeria ahead of Monday's last-16 tie.
The 30-year-old midfielder accused the Algerians of being a team who “prefer to foul than lose the ball” and will make life difficult for Germany. “They prefer to foul than lose the ball,” Lahm said. “It is an unpleasant team to play. But we have to unleash a performance, play aggressively, defend aggressively and show how classy we can be when we play.”
Maybe Lahm’s comments were meant as a compliment to highlight the intense fighting spirit Algeria have shown to qualify ahead of Russia and South Korea and set up this historic encounter in Porto Alegre......."

Full article....
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/germany/10934714/World-Cup-2014-Germany-captain-Philipp-Lahm-accuses-unpleasant-rivals-Algeria-of-playing-dirty.html
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 08:41 am
No points awarded yesterday,
Yes, Robben got 10 points in diving.
No, none of you get those points.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 09:08 am
Germany win 4 - 0 ..... 14/1

Mertesacker scores 1st goal. ..... 28/1

France win 2 - 1 ..... 8/1

Valbuena scores 1st goal. ..... 10/1

That'll do me.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 06:57 pm
No points today, either.
But I got a very nice ballet pic:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrWkXuzCEAEr5TO.jpg:large
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 09:43 am
@fbaezer,
Brilliant!
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 09:46 am
@Lordyaswas,
OK.....today's matches. Preview by the Telegraph.

ARGENTINA v SWITZERLAND ( kick off 17.00 BST)

Argentina (Possible, 4-3-3): Romero; Garay, Zabaleta, Rojo, Fernandez; Gago, Di Maria, Mascherano; Lavezzi, Higuain, Messi.
Switzerland (Possible, 4-4-2): Benaglio; Lichtsteiner, Rodriguez, Djourou, Schaer; Inler, Xhaka, Shaqiri, Behrami; Mehmedi, Drmic.

Referee: Jonas Eriksson (Sweden).

Betting: Argentina 1-2, Switzerland 6-1, Draw 3-1.

Team News

Argentina miss Sergio Agüero so Ezequiel Lavezzi will deputise again in a three-man attack.
Switzerland, last in the quarter-finals in 1954 - when they hosted the tournament - are without Steve von Bergen, injured against France, and Mario Gavranovic, who suffered a serious knee injury in training on Saturday.

Match Notes

There can be no doutbing who the favourites are.
In six previous meetings Argentina have scored 14 goals including three last time out, in 2012, when Lionel Messi scored a hat-trick in a 3-1 win.
In theory it should also be a clean game; both sides have collected just one yellow card so far.
It may not be one-sided but with Messi present there can be only one winner.

Stat of the game: Argentina have never lost to Switzerland in six clashes, winning four and drawing two.

John Ley's prediction: Argentina 2 Switzerland 0.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 09:50 am
BELGIUM v USA ( kick off 21.00 BST)

Belgium (Possible, 4-2-3-1): Courtois; Alderweireld, Kompany, Van Buyten, Vermaelen; Witsel, Fellaini; Mertens, E Hazard, De Bruyne; Lukaku.
USA (Possible, 4-1-4-1): Howard; Gonzalez, Johnson, Besler, Beasley; Beckerman; Zusi, Bradley, Jones, Davis; Dempsey.

Referee: Djamel Haimoudi (Algeria).

Team News (from the Telegraph)

Belgium are without midfielder Steven Defour after Fifa confirmed he would receive a one-match ban for his two-footed challenge during the game against South Korea.
There is also a concern over Manchester City's Vincent Kompany, who missed training again on Sunday with a groin injury.

The United States have no fresh problems after Jozy Altidore was cleared to play after missing the last two games with a hamstring problem.

Match Notes

Fifa confirmed after the group games that the United States had just 72 attacks in three games - putting them 31st among 32 teams.
Yet Salvador, the setting for this tie, has produced 21 goals in four previous games, an average of 5.25 goals a game.
Belgium qualified with three wins out of three but have not impressed and are due a better performance.
But Jürgen Klinsmann took Germany to the last four in 2006 and has all the confidence of a man who can at least go to the quarter-finals.
Stat of the game: In five previous meetings, Belgium have won four with the United States winning the other.

John Ley's prediction: Belgium 2 USA 3.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 03:04 pm
The truth behind Switzerland's last minute miss:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BrfIGw2IgAAZ0zE.jpg
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 03:06 pm
@fbaezer,
That looks like Pope Gordon Banks.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2014 03:38 pm
Our accuracy this phase has been similar to Ghana's attackers'.
No points for no one. Again.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 11:34 am
Ok, here goes another guessing slate -

1. Rodriguez, Colombia
2. Robben, Netherlands
3. Messi, Argentina
4. Neymar, Brazil
5. Muller, Germany
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 11:52 am
@ossobuco,
1. Muller
2. Messi
3. Rodrigues
4. Robben
5. Benzema.

0 Replies

timur

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 11:56 am
1-Benzema
2-Neymar
3-Robben
4-Messi
5-Muller
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 12:01 pm
@timur,
I had a Rodrigues/Neymar dilemma.

This should be interesting.....
lmur

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 12:07 pm
According to fbaezer's opening post in this thread, the 2nd phase consists of the 'Round of 16' (which has just ended) AND the upcoming quarter finals ie 12 matches in total. Please correct me if I'm wrong or missed a rule change somewhere along the way.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 12:10 pm
@lmur,
You may be right, Imur, I was merely following a lady.

Osso? Have you got us boys into trouble?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 12:10 pm
@Lordyaswas,
One of my dilemmas involved Lukaku, and another, Benzema, adding up to multiple dilemmussses.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 12:12 pm
I probably did mess up, back in a minute.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2014 12:15 pm
@ossobuco,
look at the schedule here - starting at 4 July

http://www.si.com/soccer/planet-futbol/scores

I took it that it is too early to pick for 8 July.. that the next 4 games on the 4th and 5th will bring us the last four X teams in the tournament.

Have to go back and reread Fbaezer's opening post..

well, now I'm confuzulled, but I still think so...