5. fbaezer 4

Wanted
- Dead -
-- or --
- Alive -
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 09:59 am
Algeria Germany tomorrow night should be a good grudge match.

32 years ago, Algeria beat Germany in the first round, and in the final match of that group, Germany needed to beat Austria (virtually unbeatable at that time) to go through. If they only beat Austria by one or two goals, then Austria would go through as well.
In those days, group games were not played simultaneously, and Germany and Austria played that final group game a whole day after Algeria had played theirs.
Germany scored ten minutes into the game, and not one single tackle or shot on goal occurred from that moment on. A whole 80 minutes of nothingness from both sides.....absolutely disgraceful.
Algeria lodged a protest, but it was thrown out, as technically both the cheating Germans/Austrians had not broken any rules.

From that moment, all group games kick off at the same time, to stop "arrangements" being made in the future.

Algleria will be going all out to get their own back on Germany, and there will certainly be no love lost.
Will they beat them? Doubt it, but it won't be for the want of trying.

Holland Mexico just kicking off......

Forecast Holland 4 - 2 Mexico.

(Robben two, RVP two)
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 10:48 am
Cooling break?

If we're having cooling breaks in Brazil, what the hell is going to happen in Qatar?

Cooling break my arse!

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 10:57 am
@Lordyaswas,
It's a good idea. I don't know how much experience you've had playing footie in hot conditions, but it's brutal, even for these highly fit players. We're going to get better soccer/football because of these breaks.

Water breaks are common around here during the warmer months, when the temps reach 100F/38C or higher.
Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 11:03 am
@Ticomaya,
I understand that, but why not have an official time .....say at the midway point in each half, so that the referee would be unable to influence the flow of a match, intentionally or not?

Very dangerous, giving a ref the power to stop a match for three minutes, bearing in mind the outside pressures nowadays re. Betting syndicates etc.
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 11:04 am
@Lordyaswas,
Good point.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 11:10 am
Look at Mexico! 0-1!
ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 11:16 am
@InfraBlue,
I'm looking!!

Hah, I almost picked Dos Santos.. He had those earlier goals that were disallowed. Well, y'all know that.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 11:25 am
@ossobuco,
Adds -
Ajaccio wants Ochoa back.. http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/guillermo-ochoa-transfer-ac-ajaccio-3781918
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 12:01 pm
2-1 Holland

Nuts!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 12:06 pm
Well that left a bad taste in my mouth.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 12:11 pm
Mexico were robbened.
Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 03:26 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Looking at that Ref, he wasn't going to give anyone a pen unless they did a double falco going into a half pike and ending in an impersonation of a swan landing on water.
The slow motion showed that the defender actually stood on part of Robben's boot and, seeing how he had been brought down or tripped or blocked several times before and nothing was awarded, he decided to do a Tom Daley, just to make sure the Ref didn't miss it.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 04:01 pm
@Lordyaswas,
He fairly launched himself alright.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 04:57 pm
Yeow, Costa Rica got through.. not without yellow and red cards.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 05:52 pm
@Lordyaswas,
That should not have been a penalty kick, but the ref didn't award a PK earlier in the match when Robben was fouled twice in the box. So, I've got not issue with the result.
Pantalones

Reply Sun 29 Jun, 2014 11:17 pm
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
That should not have been a penalty kick, but the ref didn't award a PK earlier in the match when Robben was fouled twice in the box. So, I've got not issue with the result.

I agree with this except the last sentence. Mexican players seemed to get nervous after the first goal, they missed many easy passes and gave the ball to the dutch.
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 01:05 am

Today's Matches.....

FRANCE v NIGERIA (kickmoff 17.00 BST)

Facts and Figures from The Telegraph. Probable teams and formations.

France (Possible, 4-1-4-1): Lloris; Debuchy, Varane, Sakho, Evra; Cabaye; Valbuena, Pogba, Benzema; Giroud.
Nigeria (Possible, 4-4-2): Enyeama; Ambrose, Oboabona, Omerou, Oshaniwa; Mikel, Onazi, Azeez, Moses; Odemwingie, Emenike.
Referee: Mark Geiger (USA).
Betting: France 1-2, Nigeria 6-1, Draw 3-1

Team News
Yohan Cabaye returns to the France midfield after missing the 0-0 draw with ecudor through suspension.
Nigeria's Victor Moses had been the main injury concern the Chelsea winger trained on Saturday.
Only midfielder Michael Babatunde is missing with a broken wrist.
Match Notes
Nigeria are in the last 16 for the first time since France '98.
Now they meet a French team who have grown up together and remain one of the tournament favourites.
France have impressed and with Cabaye available should be too strong for the Africans.
Stat of the game: France had more goal attempts in their group stage games than any other team: 61.
John Ley's prediction: France 3 Nigeria 1.

0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 01:15 am
@Pantalones,
Pantalones wrote:

Quote:

I agree with this except the last sentence. Mexican players seemed to get nervous after the first goal, they missed many easy passes and gave the ball to the dutch.

I stand by my original post, that his foot was stepped on.

He made a complete meal of it, but the defender, when you look carefully at the slo-mo, clearly steps on and traps Robben's foot, thereby committing a foul.
Whether the victim then launches himself is irrelevant, as it is after the fact that a significant foul had been committed, stopping him from naturally running with the ball.

0 Replies

lmur

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2014 01:16 am
@Pantalones,
True. Eleven men behind the ball for the last twenty-five minutes or so thus allowing the Dutch to come forward at will. Too much fear. Even one player hovering on the halfway line would have made a difference. A bit more belief and The Netherlands were gonners.
0 Replies