RICE DISHES .... Any inspired suggestions?

msolga

Wed 12 May, 2004 06:57 am
cavfancier wrote:
msolga, you should also consider expanding your rice horizons....there are SO many delicious kinds of rice out there.

Any suggestions, cav? I'm listening .. Very Happy
(I'm not really too keen on brown rice.)
0 Replies

msolga

Wed 12 May, 2004 07:03 am
Thanks, Deb. A nice, not too complicated one. Sounds yummy. I'm gonna make it! Very Happy
Pardon my ignorance, but is black rice the same as wild rice?
0 Replies

dlowan

Wed 12 May, 2004 07:04 am
No - wild rice is yummy - but not a real rice

Basmati and wild rice would be good, too
0 Replies

cavfancier

Wed 12 May, 2004 07:07 am
So bunny, you mean the sticky black rice then? If so, it is yummy indeed, and makes fascinating, space-like risotto too.
0 Replies

msolga

Wed 12 May, 2004 07:07 am
Deb

Can you buy black rice at the supermarket or do I need to go to an Indian grocery? Never had black rice before. I'm interested!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Wed 12 May, 2004 07:09 am
msolga, I buy a fair bit of rice from Lundberg. I really like the Wehani, a red rice with a wonderful texture and nutty flavour. Here is a list of their rice products:

http://www.lundberg.com/variety.html
0 Replies

dlowan

Wed 12 May, 2004 07:10 am
No - no - not really sticky.

It is available in lots of shops here - it pops in yer mouth like little ricy grapes.
0 Replies

the prince

Wed 12 May, 2004 07:10 am
Indians dont eat black rice !
0 Replies

msolga

Wed 12 May, 2004 07:12 am
Why, Gautam?
0 Replies

msolga

Wed 12 May, 2004 07:13 am
dlowan wrote:
No - no - not really sticky.

It is available in lots of shops here - it pops in yer mouth like little ricy grapes.

Interesting! I must get some.
0 Replies

dlowan

Wed 12 May, 2004 07:14 am
Continental places often have it here
0 Replies

the prince

Wed 12 May, 2004 07:14 am
I dont know to be honest
0 Replies

cavfancier

Wed 12 May, 2004 07:15 am
Once you go black, you'll never go back, that's what they say.
0 Replies

msolga

Wed 12 May, 2004 07:16 am
cavfancier wrote:
msolga, I buy a fair bit of rice from Lundberg. I really like the Wehani, a red rice with a wonderful texture and nutty flavour. Here is a list of their rice products:

http://www.lundberg.com/variety.html

This is an education, Cav. Thank you!
I have a feeling that lundberg might not be available here in Oz, but I get the gist.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Wed 12 May, 2004 07:18 am
Hmm...I'd have to double check, but they may sell over the 'net.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Wed 12 May, 2004 12:42 pm
There's jambalaya. It's a southern Louisiana dish that we like because it reminds us of New Orleans. It can be made with poultry, spicy sausage, ham, shrimp or other seafood, alone, or in combination.

Jambalaya

3 tablespoons bacon grease
3 tablespoons flour
2 medium onions, chopped
1 cup chopped green onions
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped green pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup rice
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 cups meat

Heat bacon grease in a large saucepan and gradually add flour, stirring constantly until dark brown. Add onions, parsley and garlic. Cook until soft. Add stock (or water if you don't have stock) rice, salt, pepper and meat. Bring to a boil, then lower heat as much as possible. Cook 1 hour, covered. Stir occasionally. When rice is done, remove lid and cook a few more minutes so rice will steam dry.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Wed 12 May, 2004 12:51 pm
If you want to use chicken, use a small frying chicken, cover the chicken with water, add a rib of celery with leaves, an onion halved, and a clove of garlic. Boil about one hour. Reserve the stock. Remove the meat from the bones.

If you want to add sausage, for example, garlic kielbasa and/or ham, cut it into half-inch pieces and fry it until lightly browned.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Wed 12 May, 2004 12:52 pm
Mckenzie, where ya been? Jambalya is awesome, and so many variations! Sadly, I can't find Andouille sausage here, but I did a nice jambalaya with roasted duck and turkey kielbasa some time ago.
0 Replies

SCoates

Wed 12 May, 2004 04:21 pm
Now everyone should get mad at me for thinking this, but curry goes really well with mustard. Mix a little dijon with some curried catsup, and mix it into hot tortellini, and you're set.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Wed 12 May, 2004 07:11 pm
cav, where have I been? Mostly busy with work. The last year and a half have been crazy.

I googled "andouille sausage toronto" and came up with MacGregor's Meat & Seafood, on Garyray Drive.

We have a couple of specialty markets that sell it, but Bill prefers good, old Ukrainian garlic kielbasa.
0 Replies