Bushites Set Tone That Led To Torture & Abuse

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 04:00 pm

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1083927057770&call_pageid=970599109774&col=Columnist1022182710415
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 525 • Replies: 7
No top replies

infowarrior

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:27 am
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:39 am
infowarrior wrote:

According to the US Army and reported by the Red Cross, 70% to 90% of the Abu Ghraib prisoners were wrongly arrested and don't belong there.

If you are going to quote something, please try to get it right. Here is the quote.

Coalition military intelligence officers believed 70-90 per cent of Iraqi detainees were "arrested by mistake", according to a leaked Red Cross report on prisoner abuse, further details of which were disclosed on Monday.

Not to nitpick, but the key here is they believed 70-90% were wrongly arrested. When they provide factual numbers to back up their belief, then I will believe it too. Leaving out that one word from the quote does make a difference. I am not saying they are wrong in their belief cause for all I know they could be right. Just for accuracy's sake, let's quote it properly and let people draw their own conclusions instead of leading people along a path you would have them go by misquoting.
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:47 am
coastalrat:

Yes, I know. I posted the article from the Financial Times on an original thread.

http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1083180400050&p=1012571727172

You can parse words until hell freezes over, but it doesn't change the substance of my reply or the import of the article.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:58 am
infowarrior wrote:
coastalrat:

Yes, I know. I posted the article from the Financial Times on an original thread.

http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1083180400050&p=1012571727172

You can parse words until hell freezes over, but it doesn't change the substance of my reply or the import of the article.

Sorry to be so picky Info, but I tend to put some importance in the way things are worded. They are worded a certain way for a particular reason. I can twist words to make things seem to say just about anything. So I get kinda caught up sometimes when others quote something to make a point, but the quote is not quite exact. In truth, I would not be surprised if 70%-90% were arrested in error. But I would also not be surprised if most of those were released. The article and those quoting it are doing so as if all these people are languishing in a military prison, when in fact I doubt most are still there. (Notice I said most, not all. I am not that naive to believe all mistakes are quickly rectified.) Did not mean anything personal in trying to correct your quote.
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 08:02 am
coastalrat:

No harm done and no personal feelings on my part either. Thanks.

I'll go one better just for reasons of debate and exchange: with all this warranted attention on the Iraqi prisoner abuse scandal engulfing the Bush administration, I wonder now if prisoners who actually belong in Abu Ghraib will be released in order to wipe the slate clean?

Either way, we're screwed.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 08:06 am
That is a fear I also have Info. Which is why this mess is something that has to be dealt with quickly and all those responsible brought to account (including officers who had responsibility for those who were directly involved).
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 10:38 am
Either way, it's so sad that this hooliganism was allowed and possibily encouraged at Abu Ghraib.
0 Replies