Red Cross: 90% of Iraqi Prisoners "Arrested by Mistake"

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 07:06 am
Coalition military intelligence officers believed 70-90 per cent of Iraqi detainees were "arrested by mistake", according to a leaked Red Cross report on prisoner abuse, further details of which were disclosed on Monday.

The confidential report, given to the US and British governments in February but covering events in March to November last year, describes a pattern of indiscriminate arrests involving destruction of property and brutal behaviour towards suspects and their families.

http://news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/StoryFT/FullStory&c=StoryFT&cid=1083180400050&p=1012571727172

The International Committee of the Red Cross said on Friday it had repeatedly, throughout last year, drawn these and other violations of international humanitarian law to the attention of the coalition forces and the prison authorities in Iraq.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,419 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 07:11 am
It just keeps getting worse.
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 07:16 am
If Bush were smart, he'd fire Rumsfeld immediately and get on with it.

But Bush has a history of strange allegiances to highly questionable people close to his father with poor characters.

As I said on another thread, this story is so huge it has the potential to cost him reelection.

The far right had better grease the propaganda machine because it's going to be working 24/7.
0 Replies

greenumbrella

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 07:41 am
This story has been the fodder of the morning and evening news for several days. It is extremely troubling and suggests the military brass in Iraq have their heads up their you-know-whats.
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 08:41 am
I read a story about an Iraqi mother who left her apartment to get water in a bucket to wash dishes and upon her return, she was picked up by the military and jailed. Who took care of her kids?

I can hardly stand to read anymore of these stories out of Iraq. My heart is heavy.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 08:53 am
http://www.armytimes.com/
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 09:05 am
Not that I am doubting the 90% figure, but you know, something tells me when the Red Cross asks prisoners what they did to get detained, I would seriously doubt if many would give an honest answer. I can hear them all now being honest and saying "heck yeah, I was shooting at American forces and doing all I could to disrupt you wicked Americans".

I am sure some, and possibly many, have been detained wrongly. Just like I am sure some people in prison in this country are imprisoned wrongly. But does that mean we throw open the doors and let them all go?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 09:24 am
It is already being reported that people are faking injuries and reporting abuses to get in on the financial compensation offered by the U.S. to those abused at Abu Ghraib.
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 10:26 am
The right-wingers here are trying to change the text of the report.

It doesn't say according to the Red Cross, it says, "Coalition military intelligence officers believed 70-90 per cent of Iraqi detainees were "arrested by mistake".

Coalition military intelligence officers. What's next? Charges they work for the Kerry campaign? Jeez!
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 11:24 am
Deecups36 wrote:
The right-wingers here are trying to change the text of the report.

It doesn't say according to the Red Cross, it says, "Coalition military intelligence officers believed 70-90 per cent of Iraqi detainees were "arrested by mistake".

Coalition military intelligence officers. What's next? Charges they work for the Kerry campaign? Jeez!

You are correct Dee. I admit I misread the report. I humbly accept your rebuke. But let me at least ask a question that the article does not seem to answer. Were those arrested subsequently released once it was determined that they were innocent? The article leads one to the idea that these innocent people are still being detained, which may be so, but I somehow doubt it. Also, not to nitpick statements reported by the news media, but the intel officers "believe" 70-90 per cent were arrested by mistake. Did they count this up and do the math or is this just a guess on their part? I don't know. I would bet many of these innocents were arrested, questioned, then released. I could be wrong however and freely admit it.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 11:27 am
In fact the reports coming out in most of the media indicate that those arrested 'in error' were in fact quickly released.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 11:37 am
You mean there aren't piles of naked people all over Iraq? You would think they would have them stacked like cord wood by now.
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 01:33 pm
In fact the reports coming out in most of the media indicate that those arrested 'in error' were in fact quickly released.

I must've missed 'most of the media' reporting this.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 02:48 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
It is already being reported that people are faking injuries and reporting abuses to get in on the financial compensation offered by the U.S. to those abused at Abu Ghraib.

Your constant refusal to acknowledge any of the facts in your blind support of these nazis is really becoming a bore.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 02:55 pm
These are the kind of actions that occurred in Germany in the 1930's and 40's - Fascist heads remain in the sand!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 02:58 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

I have heard this too, but I heard it on Sean Hannity's radio show, which is not exactly the most reliable source for independent credible information. Do you have any sources on this? I can see how it could happen, but I wonder if it isn't just some right wing spin.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 03:06 pm
Wilso wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

Your constant refusal to acknowledge any of the facts in your blind support of these nazis is really becoming a bore.

Speaking of boring. This nazi routine has been done to death. get over it.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 03:09 pm
Nov 2nd - over done with, nazi defeated. Then, we can start the trials.......I say we round up the sympathizers also Smile
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 05:34 pm
I've seen it reported in several places Kicky. Will check later tonight to find some links. (I rarely watch Hannity and Combes)
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 03:06 pm
Quote:
....faking injuries and reporting abuses to get in on the financial compensation....

Wow, there's a new concept. Just think if that ever caught on in America Question
0 Replies