Reparations To American Blacks... Yes/No?

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 01:15 pm
@Buttermilk,
Buttermilk wrote:
Why are you quoting me?
As a matter of general interest; Y not??

I like to argue.

Buttermilk wrote:
This was not addressed to you counselor.
Well, u see, that does not matter much in this forum.
We remain free to comment on and to question
anything that has been posted. That is our social paradigm.
Its been that way for a long time.

I 'm beginning to suspect that u fear me. I hope I 'm rong. U shud not.

David
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 01:55 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Geez, David -

- Africa is a big place with much beauty, much culture, much trouble much of which is caused by marauding imperials over a lot of time with no common sense, many exploiters, from the tip top of it in the north to the tip bottom to the south. Oh, and maybe missionaries (that's another story). Off hand I have had several friends from there - an egyptian who left in trouble with Nassar (we met him in Guadalajara); a lab tech from Cameroon with the world's best lilting voice, a lab tech moved from Eritrea and his pals from Ethiopia (yes) who used invite us to university international student union dinners, part of us at the lab that hung out outside of work; and my niece's mother from Liberia, a troubled woman, not least because she was plopped down in Los Angeles. Oh, and a couple I met from Mali, probably in Rome to visit the FAO; they pushed me to visit Mali. That was in '99.

Your post that slavery saved blacks from Africa is plain horrible. I wish you understood how horrible.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 02:02 pm
@ossobuco,
will the person who keeps down thumbing me speak to why?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 02:08 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
will the person who keeps down thumbing me speak to why?
Altho I don t know who that person is, nor his motives,
I will observe that it is a practice whereof u have expressed approval quite a few times,
in regard to points of vu that u don 't like.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 02:30 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Geez, David -

- Africa is a big place with much beauty, much culture, much trouble much of which is caused by marauding imperials over a lot of time with no common sense, many exploiters, from the tip top of it in the north to the tip bottom to the south. Oh, and maybe missionaries (that's another story). Off hand I have had several friends from there - an egyptian who left in trouble with Nassar (we met him in Guadalajara); a lab tech from Cameroon with the world's best lilting voice, a lab tech moved from Eritrea and his pals from Ethiopia (yes) who used invite us to university international student union dinners, part of us at the lab that hung out outside of work; and my niece's mother from Liberia, a troubled woman, not least because she was plopped down in Los Angeles. Oh, and a couple I met from Mali, probably in Rome to visit the FAO; they pushed me to visit Mali. That was in '99.

Your post that slavery saved blacks from Africa is plain horrible. I wish you understood how horrible.
Osso, I was answering some explicit QUESTIONs from Buttermilk directed to giujohn,
predominantly concerning the anti-black racism of Abe Lincoln that Buttermilk mentioned
and I commented, more broadly, on the general subject matter.
I expressed agreement with Buttermilk's opinion on that point.
That is the sort of thing that we have been doing in this forum,
since 2OO2, so far as I know. I commented because I deem it INTERESTING
and worthy of debate. I like to argue. I think u know that about me, already.

Please take notice that I did not hurt anyone. I did not call anyone any names.
We are just discussing history, I hope in a friendly way. There is no reason to get upset, Osso.
No one has gotten mad yet.

Incidentally, I loved your comments hereinabove qua Africa; delightful.

David
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 02:58 pm
@ossobuco,
Excellent question.

I've thumbed up your posts for about the last two pages.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 03:42 pm
@wmwcjr,
wmwcjr wrote:

Excellent question.

Not really. What difference does it make?

If they are doing it to hide Osso's comments from their sight they won't see her question. If they are doing so because they get a kick out giving certain people a demerit, they won't answer either because they are basically cowardly punks.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 03:58 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
wmwcjr wrote:
Excellent question.
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Not really. What difference does it make?

If they are doing it to hide Osso's comments from their sight they won't see her question.
If they are doing so because they get a kick out giving certain people a demerit,
they won't answer either because they are basically cowardly punks.
I dunno who did it, Find Abuzz,
but I remember Osso repeatedly expressing her APPROVAL of it
against the opinions whereof she disapproves,
which is to say that it is OK with her
IF the downgraded post favors Individual liberty.

She has most ofen been heard on this point within a context
of discussion of the Ignore feature; accordingly, I have surmised
that a lot of the downgrading of pro-freedom posts has been from Osso,
but that is only a suspicion. I have no way to know for sure,
other than what she, herself, has posted about it (with attendant inferences).

Support that criterion, if u want.

David
ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 04:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
That's true, Finn. Oh, by the way, I sometimes thumb you up, but I have long sometimes agreed with you on stuff well writ. I rarely thumb posts down, fine with argument, so if I do it is for gigantic lack of civility or complete vilepurvey (which I usually avoid the sight of).

In this case, I'm wondering if it is buttermilk. I think it isn't, and I hope not.
Oh, well, nevermind. Him I care re the answer, and the rest of the cobwebbers can go weave jello.
Lash

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 05:35 pm
@ossobuco,
<----thumber upper. Almost never thumb downer.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 05:39 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Laughs..
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 05:50 pm
Quote:
Ossobucco said: Africa is a big place with much beauty, much culture, much trouble much of which is caused by marauding imperials over a lot of time

Haha that's it, blame the whites as usual!
Fact is, Africans never had the brains to run their own countries and should be thankful the whites went over and showed them how to do it.
Then when they kicked out the whites, they reverted back to the jungle and tribal warfare and started eating each other again.
Classic example is when Mandela's commie ANC Party took over South Africa and turned it into a heathen cesspit-

Crime is a prominent issue in South Africa. South Africa has a very high rate of murders, assaults, rapes (adult, child and infant), and other crimes compared to most countries.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_South_Africa

According to the 2011 UNAIDS Report, South Africa has an estimated 5.6 million people living with HIV – more than any other country in the world
0 Replies

Buttermilk

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 05:50 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Look the response was for someone else besides counselor I don't reply to people who write in block paragraphs
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 06:09 pm
@Buttermilk,
Buttermilk wrote:
Look the response was for someone else besides counselor
I don't reply to people who write in block paragraphs
U say u want more paragrafs, instead??

I think that u r AFRAID of debate, but that 's OK.
There is NO reason to be afraid. Argument is harmless.

U shud adjust your A2K experience to suit your preferences.
Have fun. U need not reply to our comments, but any of us
is free to post comments or questions in regard to your posts, as I have done.

David
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 08:59 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I don't care why anyone thumbs down a post.

If someone thumbs down my post, they only remove it from their sight, not anyone else's.They haven't stopped me from posting what I wish to express (Which is what I expect is what a great many of the thumb-downers would actually like to do)

If they thumb it down just to lower my "thumb score" they are probably a nasty shite and if they are doing so because they think that members avoid reading posts with low scores, that's fine too, because anyone who won't read a post because it has a low score is probably not someone with whom I would care to exchange ideas.

I have no idea whether or not Osso thumbs down any posts, let alone ones favoring Individual Liberty, but, again, if she does, so what? She wouldn't be striking a blow against Individual Liberty.

I think the thumb feature is a good one. I think the counting of ups and downs is pointless and encourages bad behavior, but I'm OK with it. I think Craven believed the count would be beneficial in that offered readers a sort of quick review of the comment, enabling them to decide if they wanted to read it. Clearly that purpose is not being served.

And bitching about having one's post thumbed down is a sure way to get it thumbed down some more, so it's not only of no value, it's counter-productive.
coldjoint

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 09:09 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
counter-productive.

Those are the aspirations of every progressive I know.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 09:10 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Actually I rarely thumb down posts. Threads, yes (as in Lovatts stuff, a way to clean up New Posts, new posts being how I read the site). I probably thumb up too much, and confuse things since I sometime thumb up people I disagree with who write well (get them at the ankles, she breathes to herself, kidding).

Usually, though, I post up not for agreement or good writing but because someone went to some effort to find links or post photographs.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 10:22 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
That's true, Finn. Oh, by the way, I sometimes thumb you up,
but I have long sometimes agreed with you on stuff well writ.
I rarely thumb posts down, fine with argument, so if I do it is for
gigantic lack of civility or complete vilepurvey (which I usually avoid the sight of).

In this case, I'm wondering if it is buttermilk. I think it isn't, and I hope not.
Oh, well, nevermind. Him I care re the answer, and the rest of the
cobwebbers can go weave jello.
FOR THE RECORD:
I see nothing rong with anyone downgrading any of my posts
for any reason or for no reason; its harmless. Its very welcome.
I approve of the readers cheering and booing, in their discretion.

I join in Osso's hereinabove expressed sentiments qua vanishing
posts that are sufficiently lacking in civility. Indeed, when posters
have been sufficiently abhorrent, I have used the Ignore button
for its intended purpose.

I only remarked on Osso 's post because of the perceived inconsistency
between her previously expressed advocacy of thumbing down,
viewed here together with her implied complaint of its being applied to HER,
by persons unknown. I found some humor in that.

David
BillRM

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 01:35 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
If someone thumbs down my post, they only remove it from their sight, not anyone else'

Not completely true as with enough down votes those who have not change their defaults settings will no longer see the posts in question.

So a down vote is in fact a vote for a group default censorship.

Lash

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 05:08 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Truthfully, however, this particular anti-osso down-thumb campaign has nothing to do with her ideas.