Is There Any Reason to Believe the Biblical Story of Creation?

neologist

Tue 25 Aug, 2015 11:38 pm
@InfraBlue,
Exact statement and writer from above: (previous page)
InfraBlue wrote:
Miracles aren't scientific.
My response, in part:
neologist wrote:
Miracles are not 'scientific'.
So what?
InfraBlue wrote:
So, your suggestion about the whales' blowholes has no place in science.
Read my response again while trying to discern the nuance added by apostrophes.
InfraBlue

Wed 26 Aug, 2015 10:35 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Exact statement and writer from above: (previous page)
InfraBlue wrote:
Miracles aren't scientific.
My response, in part:
neologist wrote:
Miracles are not 'scientific'.
So what?
InfraBlue wrote:
So, your suggestion about the whales' blowholes has no place in science.
Read my response again while trying to discern the nuance added by apostrophes.

Stop pussyfooting around and get to the point you're trying to make, unless you're merely being redundant; otherwise just leave it at that.
Foofie

Wed 26 Aug, 2015 11:10 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Stop pussyfooting around and get to the point you're trying to make, unless you're merely being redundant; otherwise just leave it at that.

"Pussyfooting"? LBJ's colloquialism, even though it existed before him.
neologist

Wed 26 Aug, 2015 11:18 am
@Foofie,
I believe it was Spiro Agnew's memorable quote about "pusillanimous pussyfooters". In Blue's case, it appears to be the pot hiding behind the kettle.
0 Replies

neologist

Wed 26 Aug, 2015 11:28 am
@InfraBlue,
I guess redundant will have to do. We are clearly not on the same page.
0 Replies

Miller

Sat 5 Sep, 2015 11:11 am
@anthony1312002,
anthony1312002 wrote:

Did the moisture-extracting skin of the thorny devil come about by evolution?

Of course, the process depicted in the thorny devil orignated slowly, over time, by the process of evolution.

Even more interesting is the process of evolution in determining the morphology of the ocular pupil in various organismic forms and and how this diversity in ocular pupil morphology is tied to the extent of survival of the individual organism in nature.

If one believes in God, than one must conclude, that while most educated individuals believe in evolution, those with a higher intellect also believe that God has directed the course which evolution has taken on Earth.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Sat 5 Sep, 2015 10:53 pm
@HesDeltanCaptain,
HesDeltanCaptain wrote:
The universe exists. And it had a beginning. Why not 'God created teh universe by way of the big bang?' Something caused the big bang, might as well say God did it. Not like cosmologists are gonna answer that one. Smile

And the universe might have been created by 8 green elves. Give me some evidence that your version is true.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Sat 5 Sep, 2015 10:56 pm
@anthony1312002,
anthony1312002 wrote:
Actually there are many examples that make it plausible to believe that what the Bible teaches about creation is true. One such example involves a small lizard that makes it's habitat in Australia. Its the Thorny Devel Lizard (Moloch horridus). Whats unique about this creature is that it extracts moisture from fog..So after just considering this one unique example found in the animal world, what do you think? Did the moisture-extracting skin of the thorny devil come about by evolution? Or was it designed, created by a powerful and wise Creator?

I'll go with a natural process over the supernatural any day unless I am presented with a lot of evidence that the supernatural explanation is true. Got any?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Sat 5 Sep, 2015 10:57 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
Well, of course, evolutionists will give the same explanation they use for other complex processes. How did the cetacean blowhole evolve, since the necessary traits, had they arrived separately would have resulted in death? The answer is, of course . . .
We may not have all the intervening data as yet, but . . . Wait for it . . .
It happened . . .
Does that argument sound familiar?

So, you find our evidence insufficient. Fine. Now give me your evidence for the existence of God. I'm waiting.
Brandon9000

Sat 5 Sep, 2015 10:59 pm
@anthony1312002,
anthony1312002 wrote:
You are quite correct. I've found that even though engineers, biochemists and other reputable and respected men and women of science who at one time completely discounted the idea of a creator but who have in recent years been willing to adjust their views regarding the teaching of creation due to a better understanding of the complex structure of living things, have not been willing to publisize it. Why do think that is?

Even assuming your facts were in order, you can't discover the origin of the universe from people's behavior. Now, give me some actual evidence for the existence of a God.
gungasnake

Sat 5 Sep, 2015 11:04 pm
@Brandon9000,
Genesis is basically a family album of sorts, accurate as far as it goes but it doesn't go any further back than about 6000 years at the most.

This goes back several tads further:

www.saturndeathcult.com
0 Replies

Johnjohnjohn

Sun 6 Sep, 2015 05:54 pm
@Brandon9000,
How in the world would a big explosion create bodies that have a function that was obviously well thought out, the trees, the grass, water, and all the planets?

Rather than a being more intelligent than any of us ?
neologist

Sun 6 Sep, 2015 06:06 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
So, you find our evidence insufficient. Fine. Now give me your evidence for the existence of God. I'm waiting.[/quote]You already found my evidence insufficient. Perhaps there is something else involved. . .
Brandon9000

Mon 7 Sep, 2015 08:23 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
So, you find our evidence insufficient. Fine. Now give me your evidence for the existence of God. I'm waiting.

You already found my evidence insufficient. Perhaps there is something else involved. . .

As I recall, the totality of your evidence was that the Bible said that some county would fall, which eventually, centuries later, did. That is essentially no evidence at all, surely far less than the evidence for evolution. Am I remembering incorrectly? Did you have some other evidence? If you criticize science for making a less than perfect explanation, it obligates you to state a more perfect explanation for your own beliefs. I'm waiting. This is your forum. Please quickly outline your evidence for your beliefs. If you don't, I must conclude that you can't.
neologist

Mon 7 Sep, 2015 09:29 am
@Brandon9000,
To be more accurate, I avoided prophecies having their fulfilment before the completion of the canon because they are so often met with the objection that they were written after the fact.

The idea that one of the most important cities of the ancient world would end up in ruins, I thought would be a good place to start.

Apparently not. I can't show you a fossil of an apostle.
I can't photograph or record holy spirit.

The bible is not a scientific treatise. So, perhaps there is something else at work here, including the nanopossibility that I could be wrong.
Setanta

Mon 7 Sep, 2015 01:45 pm
@Brandon9000,
As a matter of fact, Neo's bullshit rests upon supposed prophecies of the "fall" of Babylon. It didn't happen. Babylon didn't fall, it faded away more than 1200 years later. There are about 50 verses in each of the two chapters that Neo alleges prophecy the "fall" of Babylon, and i've gone through them one verse at a time to show him that "this did not happen," "that did not happen," "this did not happen." Effectively, he puts his fingers in his ears and says: "La la la la, i can't hear you."
Setanta

Mon 7 Sep, 2015 01:46 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
The bible is not a scientific treatise.

It is obviously also not an historical record.
0 Replies

neologist

Mon 7 Sep, 2015 02:11 pm
@Setanta,
So, it's not 'proof'. Perhaps I am wrong.

Nevertheless, Babylon, among all the major cities of the ancient world having any relation to Jewish history, has suffered a singular fate.
Setanta

Mon 7 Sep, 2015 07:09 pm
@neologist,
Nonsense. And that's just a whining insistence upon your claim, absent any evidence.
neologist

Mon 7 Sep, 2015 07:48 pm
@Setanta,
In that case, I have a four story apartment house for sale in downtown Babylon. Low cap rate no vacancies. $20,000 US. I take paypal.