Is There Any Reason to Believe the Biblical Story of Creation?

Brandon9000

Sun 6 Jul, 2014 03:38 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
You simply don't understand the points I am making.

1. One side point is that you keep saying that you can't believe something without evidence, and yet you believe some things without evidence. Such as logic. I trust logic too and would never argue against it, but I am AWARE that I do so without evidence. I believe in logic and so do you, but contrary to me, you're not acknowledging it as a belief.

We believe logic precisely because it works in daily life. One could construct test after test to show that logic works. If that's your argument - that reasoning is wrong - then you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Olivier5 wrote:
2. But the central, topical point is that, even if you trust logic in the natural world, you cannot apply it to the supernatural world.

Give me any verifiable, repeatable evidence that a domain exists in which logic doesn't work. The only basis on which you could justify a belief in God is to make the argument that thinking is wrong. What a laugh. You may be positive that I will counter your arguments all over the board on a host of topics by pointing out that you haven't proven that logic works. If it's right when you say it, then it's right when I say it.
Brandon9000

Sun 6 Jul, 2014 03:40 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
...Whether or not there exists something beyond this universe is a moot question....

In that case, a positive belief that it exists is not rationally justified.
cicerone imposter

Sun 6 Jul, 2014 03:45 pm
@Brandon9000,
You missed the most important word to complete your opinion, and it's 'supernatural.' LOL
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sun 6 Jul, 2014 11:05 pm
Quote:
Wilso said: Anyone who believes this ridiculous tripe should be locked up for their own safety and that of others. They're pathetic, frightened fools.

Tell it to the marines mate..Smile

US marines church service after capturing Saipan, 1944
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/sub1/MarinesChurchSaipan44.jpg
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 7 Jul, 2014 04:26 am
@Brandon9000,
I have agree to that two dozen times already. YOUR thinking clearly does not work well.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Mon 7 Jul, 2014 04:57 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
We believe logic precisely because it works in daily life.

That statement is false, and demonstrably so. Informal logic is hard-wired in us, innate. Babies couldn't learn a thing if there was no innate capacity for induction. Later on, this innate analysis tool is progressively re-enforced through experience (or not: some people don't trust logic too much), and formalised through schooling.

But even when placed in front of an apparently illogical outcome (the duality wave-particle for instance), we shake our head and maintain some trust in logic.

Quote:
Give me any verifiable, repeatable evidence that a domain exists in which logic doesn't work.

That domain exists in the mind of people. You are addressing it. You are trying to show that there is no evidence that a REAL referent exists for it outside of their mind, and with that I have agreed two dozen times already.

BUT AS I HAVE SAID MANY MANY TIMES ALREADY, THERE ARE OTHER REASONS WHY PEOPLE BELIEVE. THESE REASONS HAVE NOTHING TO SEE WITH LOGIC, OR WITH AN ANALYSIS OF EMPIRICAL FACTS.

I trust we can both agree with the capitalized statement above. You are free to consider other reasons than rationality totally dispensable or useless. And believers are free to consider your obsession with rationality myopic or one-sided.

As for me, I posit that metaphysics are a waste of time altogether, because I don't trust our logic to make sense outside of a particular domain for which we are wired to make sense, which is our environment, the natural world. As soon as someone starts asking questions such as: "what existed before time?", or "what is the first cause of the universe?", or "what exists outside the universe?", that someone steps beyond that domain, and thus I disregard his or her logic as meaningless.

And that general anti-metaphysic rule applies for those who want to prove logically than nothing exists outside our universe. They are just as metaphysically ridiculous as any other metaphysicist...
Olivier5

Mon 7 Jul, 2014 05:13 am
@Olivier5,
I should rephrase:

As soon as someone starts asking questions such as: "what existed before time?", or "what is the first cause of the universe?", or "what exists outside the universe?", that someone'S LOGIC IS TRYING TO step beyond that domain, and thus I disregard his or her logic as meaningless.
cicerone imposter

Mon 7 Jul, 2014 10:37 am
@Olivier5,
How about, what came first? LOL
Olivier5

Mon 7 Jul, 2014 11:58 am
@cicerone imposter,
The chicken, OF COURSE....
0 Replies

giujohn

Mon 7 Jul, 2014 05:48 pm
What came before the universe is quite posibly the quantum foam and this universe is the result of a fluctuation in tha relm.
We may be able to prove it's existance if we find evidence of another dimension...which looks promising as a possibility.
Olivier5

Mon 7 Jul, 2014 06:21 pm
@giujohn,
How do you know it's not a hoax? You know, like Global Warming... ;-)
giujohn

Mon 7 Jul, 2014 08:21 pm
@Olivier5,
How do I know what is a hoax?
Olivier5

Mon 7 Jul, 2014 09:17 pm
@giujohn,
The 'quantum foam'...
giujohn

Mon 7 Jul, 2014 09:23 pm
@Olivier5,
The evidence is quite convincing as demonstated by the Casimir Effect and the existence of virtual particles.
There is a guy named Jacob D. Bekenstein who may have a way to prove its exsistence. It sounds very promising in that it will use technology that already exists.
plainoldme

Mon 7 Jul, 2014 10:21 pm
@giujohn,
I'm watching and listening to Neil deGrasse Tyson as I read this. He's talking about cosmic foam. This is my second viewing of Tyson's Inexplicable Universe. I've been watching Tyson and Hawking and making up for not having taken physics in high school. Neither Tyson or Hawking are religious but, as I see it, physics does not exclude god. Philosophy might and does but physics does not. I see science as kind to religious but religion as a large toddler, standing with his fingers in his ears, screaming, "I'm not listening to you."

But, during my life, I have seen the planet warm. I have followed archaeology, anthropology, biology and physics as an interested and educated hobbyist. The religious people are creating a train wreck and dumbing down school children, to their own danger.
Romeo Fabulini

Mon 7 Jul, 2014 10:57 pm
Quote:
Plainoldme said: I have followed archaeology, anthropology, biology and physics..The religious people are creating a train wreck and dumbing down school children, to their own danger.

But the Bible is full of fascinating archaeology, anthropology, biology and physics, and all open-minded people find it fascinating..Smile
For a start, Jesus said-
"I know where I came from and where I am going, but you have no idea where I come from or where I am going....you are of this world, I am not of this world...I'll tell you things hidden since the creation of the world" (John 8:14/ 8:23, Matt 13:35)

so technically Jesus was an alien visitor, and if that doesn't whet peoples appetite to learn more, they must be braindead!
Hey Spock will you listen to Jesus?

"But of course, I'm all ears"
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/Spock-X_zps5738799e.jpg~original
0 Replies

Olivier5

Tue 8 Jul, 2014 05:39 am
@giujohn,
Or so they say on youtube...
Olivier5

Tue 8 Jul, 2014 05:44 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
during my life, I have seen the planet warm

Guijohn is not listening. Global warming is too scary, I guess, or contradicting a naïve religious belief that science and technology and the United States of America can do no wrong.

But he's almost certain about what was there before the big bang though... LOL
giujohn

Tue 8 Jul, 2014 02:08 pm
@Olivier5,
You tube??
What the devil are ya smokin?
0 Replies

giujohn

Tue 8 Jul, 2014 02:14 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Guijohn is not listening. Global warming is too scary

So the earth is warming...It has been on a regular warming/cooling cycle(every 100,000years) for the last million...SO WHAT???

Quote:
I guess, or contradicting a naïve religious belief that science and technology and the United States of America can do no wrong.

But he's almost certain about what was there before the big bang though... LOL

Are ya on crack? When did I EVER say this? If you cant respond factually, dont embarrass yourself.

Hell, ya cant even get my user name right!