Is There Any Reason to Believe the Biblical Story of Creation?

Setanta

Sat 7 Jun, 2014 11:58 am
@neologist,
If you claim it was remarkable, perhaps ou could explain that judgment. I see you still haven't addressed the valid criticism of the claim about prophecy, you haven't answered the many instances of the so-called prophecy being just plain false.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sat 7 Jun, 2014 12:00 pm
@neologist,
Who asked that question? Perhaps you can quote and link that post for us.
Brandon9000

Sat 7 Jun, 2014 12:28 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

The purpose of the post was to answer the question "What do you suppose the creation account was designed to accomplish?" .

Okay, so what is your evidence that the universe was created by an omnipotent being?
giujohn

Sat 7 Jun, 2014 12:52 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
Okay, so what is your evidence that the universe was created by an omnipotent being?

oooh...cant wait for this one!
Brandon9000

Sat 7 Jun, 2014 01:09 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

Quote:

oooh...cant wait for this one!

I've asked the question over and over and am still not getting a straight answer.
giujohn

Sat 7 Jun, 2014 01:18 pm
@Brandon9000,
I like NEO...but to be fair...there's no way he really could answer it. I think he knows that.
Brandon9000

Sat 7 Jun, 2014 01:34 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:
I like NEO...but to be fair...there's no way he really could answer it. I think he knows that.

It is illogical to believe things for which you have no evidence. It is even more illogical to criticize scientific theories with immense amounts of evidence on the basis of step 47 being not quite firm when you yourself believe things for which there is not a speck of evidence.
neologist

Sat 7 Jun, 2014 01:37 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
From Jeremiah Chapter 50:

3 For out of the north there cometh up a nation against her, which shall make her land desolate, and none shall dwell therein: they shall remove, they shall depart, both man and beast.

The Medes and Persians did not come from the north, they came from the east. The conquest of the Chaldeans did not leave the land desolate, nor did the people depart.

9 For, lo, I will raise and cause to come up against Babylon an assembly of great nations from the north country: and they shall set themselves in array against her; from thence she shall be taken: their arrows shall be as of a mighty expert man; none shall return in vain.

Once again, the Medes and Persians came from the east, not the north.
In order for Cyrus to divert the Euphrates, he would then have to approach the city from the north, correct?
0 Replies

giujohn

Sat 7 Jun, 2014 01:51 pm
@Brandon9000,

It is illogical to believe things for which you have no evidence. It is even more illogical to criticize scientific theories with immense amounts of evidence on the basis of step 47 being not quite firm when you yourself believe things for which there is not a speck of evidence.

I am in total agreement...was this intended for me?
Brandon9000

Sat 7 Jun, 2014 03:58 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

I am in total agreement...was this intended for me?

Yes, I was responding to what you said. If there is no way he can give evidence in support of his belief, then he shouldn't have that belief. It's self-indulgent to believe things because they make you feel good if there is evidence to suggest that they are true.
giujohn

Sat 7 Jun, 2014 04:49 pm
@Brandon9000,
I would agree with that
0 Replies

neologist

Sat 7 Jun, 2014 05:09 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
It's self-indulgent to believe things because they make you feel good if there is evidence to suggest that they are true.
I assume you meant if there is no evidence.
0 Replies

neologist

Sat 7 Jun, 2014 05:52 pm
@Setanta,
I took the liberty of adding a few comments in red
Setanta wrote:
13 Because of the wrath of the Lord it shall not be inhabited, but it shall be wholly desolate: every one that goeth by Babylon shall be astonished, and hiss at all her plagues.

This simply did not happen. I beg to differ.

14 Put yourselves in array against Babylon round about: all ye that bend the bow, shoot at her, spare no arrows: for she hath sinned against the Lord.

15 Shout against her round about: she hath given her hand: her foundations are fallen, her walls are thrown down: for it is the vengeance of the Lord: take vengeance upon her; as she hath done, do unto her.

It wasn't the Jews who defeated the Chaleans. Nobody said they did

38 A drought is upon her waters; and they shall be dried up: for it is the land of graven images, and they are mad upon their idols.

This did not happen. Cyrus diverted the Euphrates
I'm not sure how you got the idea that all this was supposed to be instantaneous. Not only did some things take place centuries later, the entire judgement against Babylon is a symbolic prophecy against Babylon the Great, (See Revelation ch 17 and 18)
neologist

Sat 7 Jun, 2014 05:54 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
Who asked that question? Perhaps you can quote and link that post for us.
Rhetorical. Asked by me here:
http://able2know.org/topic/245625-2#post-5673665
giujohn

Sat 7 Jun, 2014 05:59 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:
Quote:
Not only did some things take place centuries later, the entire judgement against Babylon is a symbolic prophecy against Babylon the Great, (See Revelation ch 17 and 18)

Now you realize, that who ever wrote revleations was most probably quite insane, right? I mean any clinician would easily be able to insatntly recognize this to be the case.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Sat 7 Jun, 2014 07:43 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
I've asked the question over and over and am still not getting a straight answer.

And you never will.
farmerman

Sat 7 Jun, 2014 07:45 pm
@rosborne979,
this thread is like an eel trap.
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 7 Jun, 2014 07:48 pm
@Brandon9000,
If someone tries to "tear down" something in which you believe I think it's perfectly reasonable that you would respond with a challenge of their beliefs, however the level of gusto devoted to the challenge would largely depend upon the nature and seriousness of the attempted "tear down."

I have enjoyed the debate between you and Olivier in this thread, but of course he hasn't been trying to defend the indefensible. If someone wants to ignore the overwhelming factual evidence that is available to them in favor of a creation myth formulated thousands of years ago, as long as they don't insist the myth be taught to everyone's children as one feasible explanation (let alone the only explanation) of the how the universe, the earth, and humanity came to be, I just don't understand the need or even impulse to engage in a debate. I’m led, therefore, to the sense that a thread like this is intended, no matter how politely, to mock what are perceived to be foolish beliefs.

That would be all well and good if it hadn't been done so many times before and with the same players. Obviously you are free to start whatever thread you want and I am, by no means, forced to participate in it, but I don't find it a lack of good grace to express my opinion on the nature of it. I have no intention of hanging around an inserting my opinion again and again. If you respond to me though and I think it's appropriate to respond in turn, I will.

Obviously trying to win a debate is not contrary to the spirit of debate. I'm just not willing to concede that the majority of the back and forth in this thread thus far can be rightly considered debate.[/i.

While I am very happy to acknowledge that you are one of the most level headed and rancor free members of this forum (something which I quite appreciate in your participation) I have been on the receiving end enough times to know that your claim that you never talk about the debater is not accurate. In any case, I don't think comments about the perceived intention of a poster/debater amount to "talking about the debater" or, for that matter, ad hominem.

Look, I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest with you and I [i]debated
with myself before making my initial comment, but there's something about the many threads like this that rankle me. While I agree that claims like the earth is only a few thousand years old and that every man and woman who has lived or will live is a direct descendant of two homo-sapiens that instantaneously appeared, full grown are preposterous, I also agree with Olivier, that the contempt for faith, that I believe underlies all of these threads, is objectionable.

I'm content to withdraw from further discussion and leave you to it.
neologist

Sat 7 Jun, 2014 08:40 pm
@farmerman,
We sensible folks agree.
0 Replies

Setanta

Sun 8 Jun, 2014 01:54 am
@neologist,
Yeah, i figured . . . you asked a question you wanted to be asked, because you were prepared to answer it. No one asked you to trot out that feeble drivel, you wanted to, so you asked yourself. It's just another example of how you have evaded the question of this thread.
0 Replies