I'd like to improve the ride on my '92 miata

TunaT

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 10:07 pm
I drive a '92 Miata (it's an MX5 here in Malaysia) and I absolutely love it! But the ride is not the most comfortable. Any ideas on how I can improve it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,362 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Adrian

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 11:08 pm
If the suspension is still original then it probably just needs an overhaul.
Bushes, struts, strut mounts, even coil springs, they all wear out and have to be replaced eventually.

If you have already done all this and want further improvements then start with struts and tyres. They make a lot of difference fairly easily.

It's hard to say more without knowing more about the car and what you actually want to achieve.
0 Replies

TunaT

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 07:30 pm
I had the shocks and struts changed in Nov '03 but it still takes uneven surfaces really badly! I just want to correct it to some decent level of comfort. Surely it shouldn't sound "thunky", right?
Am on 15" 195 50 series Yokohamas currently. The plan to upgrade to 16" rims will only take place once I put in the power steering.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 07:44 pm
If you replaced the struts with cheap non genuine parts then that could be your problem right there. Make sure your tyres aren't overinflated. As for tyre width, 195 sounds wider than standard. If so that will be a contributing factor.

Finally, "thunky" compared to what? An MX-5 will always be more "thunky" than say, a 626, because it's an open top sports car.
0 Replies

TunaT

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 08:55 pm
I haven't driven any other MX5 here so was just wondering if this ride was standard. Actually, it's very happy when the roads are smooth - quite a dream drive (for a cheap car!) So you reckon the tyre width impact the ride? Will check that out. Thanks! What year do you own?
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 09:08 pm
I don't own an MX-5, have thought about getting one but I don't like convertibles. Increasing the width of tyres does tend to make a car a bit more "bumpy" on rough roads. It's just because the contact patch with road is bigger. I would guess 175 would be standard, but going back to that wouldn't make much of a difference. A good quality set of struts will do a lot more.

Oh, and welcome to the site TunaT.
0 Replies

TunaT

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 09:25 pm
Interesting! You don't like convertibles but are thinking of getting an MX5 - the world's best-selling 2-seater open top car.......anyway, i suspect the hard-top on mine is a little loose, hence an extra thunk whenever the road surface gets bumpy. In KL, when drivers weave, it's not a result of alcohol - it's the poor road surface! Thanks again for your input!
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 10:56 pm
Ah, the hardtop would almost certainly be making it a little worse.

Cheers.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 11:00 pm
the Miata is a car designed for 'performance', not comfort.
higher performance means a greater degree of safety also.

be happy

you don't want to get "soft"!
0 Replies

TunaT

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 12:24 am
That is true!
But you know how it is - one gets a little fidgety every now and again wondering if perfection can be improved upon! Guess I'll just shift my attention to upgrading the sound system, then. And if I turn it up loud, the thunks would disappear, no?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 03:49 am
TunaT wrote:
Guess I'll just shift my attention to upgrading the sound system, then. And if I turn it up loud, the thunks would disappear, no?

That's a much better idea. Seriously.
0 Replies