Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 03:31 am
hi my name is yousra i'm 17 and i really need your help guys .lately my teacher needed a receptionist so he asked me to . my family said yes but i'm still confused cause i'm such a shy person and i'm afraid to get embarrassed in front of my friends and people .and since it's would be my first job i need some advises and thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 457 • Replies: 1
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 22 May, 2014 05:36 am
@yousra15,
I worked as a receptionist when I was your age. I also started off as shy - it was kinda scary to answer the phone for the first time. And I had to page people, which was even weirder. But here's a secret. After the first time of doing either of these things, you're totally fine with it. Being a receptionist is one of the best treatments for shyness that I know.

As for the rest of it, your job is to be nice to people, basically. You welcome them into an office, and maybe offer a drink or to take their coat (this depends upon what your boss requires of you). You answer questions like if someone is in that day, and where the rest rooms are. You also learn to prioritize who you're talking to. I was always taught, handle the in person requests first, then the phone, then anything in writing (and these days that would include texts and email). Ask your boss to clarify that, but it's probably going to be the same sort of hierarchy for you.

And remember - no one is hired for a job that they can't do. It is in your employer's best interests that you succeed. They want you to do well. And you can do this.

Let me reiterate that. You can do this.
0 Replies