From Texas to Abu Ghraib: The Bush Legacy of Prisoner Abuse

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 12:45 pm
Published on Monday, May 10, 2004 by CommonDreams.org
From Texas to Abu Ghraib: The Bush Legacy of Prisoner Abuse
by Heather Wokusch

While administration officials express shock and outrage over allegations of the torture and murder of Iraqi prisoners by US forces, a deeper look into Bush's stateside prison-system record shows disturbing similarities.

Despite Taguba's report detailing US "sadistic, blatant and wanton criminal abuses" of Iraqi detainees, the President declared, "We acted, and there are no longer mass graves and torture rooms and rape rooms in Iraq."

In George Bush's America, denial about inmate mistreatment runs similarly rampant. As Texas governor, Bush oversaw the executions of 152 prisoners and thus became the most-killing governor in the history of the United States. Ethnic minorities, many of whom did not have access to proper legal representation, comprised a large percentage of those Bush put to death, and in one particularly egregious example, Bush executed an immigrant who hadn't even seen a consular official from his own country (as is required by the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations, to which the US was a signatory). Bush's explanation: "Texas did not sign the Vienna Convention, so why should we be subject to it?"

Governor Bush also flouted the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child by choosing to execute juvenile offenders, a practice shared by only Iran, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Yemen. Significantly, in 1998 a full 92% of the juvenile offenders on Bush's death row were ethnic minorities.

Conditions inside Texan prisons during Bush's reign were so notorious that federal Judge William Wayne Justice wrote, "Many inmates credibly testified to the existence of violence, rape and extortion in the prison system and about their own suffering from such abysmal conditions."

In September 1996, for example, a videotaped raid on inmates at a county jail in Texas showed guards using stun guns and an attack dog on prisoners, who were later dragged face-down back to their cells. Funding of mental health programs during Bush's reign was so poor that Texan prisons had a sizeable number of mentally-impaired inmates; defying international human rights standards, these inmates ended up on death row. A prisoner named Emile Duhamel, for example, with severe psychological disabilities and an IQ of 56, died in his Texan death-row jail cell in July 1998. Authorities blamed "natural causes" but a lack of air conditioning in cells that topped 100 degrees Fahrenheit in a summer heat wave may have killed Duhamel instead. How many other Texan prisoners died of such neglect during Bush's governorship is unclear.

As president, Bush presides over a prison population topping 2 million people, giving America the dubious distinction of having a higher percentage of its citizens behind bars than any other country. When considering that the US has three times more prisoners per capita than Iran and seven times more than Germany, the nation looks more like a Gulag than the Land of the Free.

Abu Ghraib has left administration officials falling over themselves with protestations of compassion, but it's worth remembering that the Bush White House has fought hard against the International Convention Against Torture.

It's not difficult to see why: if even a fraction of Bush's devastating legacy with Texan prisoners has been transferred to the US prison system as a whole, then the scandal over Abu Ghraib will seem like child's play.

The White House also wants to stifle investigation into the roughly 760 aliens (mainly Muslim men) the US government rounded up post-911, ostensibly for immigration violations. Amnesty International reports 911 detainees have suffered "a pattern of physical and verbal abuse by some corrections officers" and a denial of "basic human rights."

Then of course, there's Guantanamo, where the US is holding hundreds of detainees in top secrecy and without access to courts, legal counsel or family visits. Add to that the roughly 1000 civilians the US imprisons in Afghanistan, the 10,000 civilians thought to be detained in Iraq and who knows how many others across the globe, and it looks as if incarceration is the nation's best export.

But blame can't stop with Bush. A recent CNN poll asking "Is torture ever justified during interrogation?" yielded 47% of respondents answering in the affirmative, which explains why there hasn't been much stateside outrage over prisoner neglect in the past. It's that Faustian with-us-or-against-us mentality rearing its ugly head once again, promising safety but tempting us to dehumanize others and lose our souls in the process.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,541 • Replies: 20
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 01:03 pm
Many people don't realize it, but the Secret Service (S.S. for those that like the Nazi stuff) often bring some of the detainees from Gitmo up to the Whitehouse for bush's enjoyment. Bush and Cheney often play darts using various body parts of detainees who are being held down by various members of teh Supreme Court. Sometimes they invite Rummy and they play golf while one detainee or another tees up the ball in his/her teeth.

Powell caught wind of it and started complaining about how he is never invited to participate.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 01:13 pm
That's when they aren't dressing them up as huge white rabbits and hiring them out to shopping malls.
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 01:31 pm
Only a confirmed Bushite could make jokes about something as serious as this.

Beyond the assault on American credibility in Iraq and the rest of world, the Iraqi prisoner abuse just adds another layer of complication for our troops to have to deal with each day while on duty.

I'm just doubled over with laughter.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 01:38 pm
McGentrix making these sort of attempted jokes is a good thing...it shows that he may be catching on to the fact that no one takes him seriously or finds him or his posts the least bit enjoyable outside of a small circle of like minded posters and so he is changing his tact.

Acceptance is one step on the road to recovery, although in this case it may be too little too late. :wink: Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 01:42 pm
hi Bi-Polar Bear- I like a good laugh as much as the next gal, but this entire episode isn't funny to me. And as infowarrior correctly pointed out, the problems Abu Ghrain poses for our troops is huge.

I just consider the sources of the failed humor. They're credibility is zero.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 01:48 pm
I think I read on CommonDreams.com that Bush also has quite a contigent of Afghani's working on his ranch in Texas. All that brush needs to be cut by someone. I heard that he staged 9/11 just so he could get some free laborers down on the ranch.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 01:49 pm
Deecups36 wrote:
hi Bi-Polar Bear- I like a good laugh as much as the next gal, but this entire episode isn't funny to me. And as infowarrior correctly pointed out, the problems Abu Ghrain poses for our troops is huge.

I just consider the sources of the failed humor. They're credibility is zero.

neither is it funny to me deecups believe it....I was expressing my total disdain at the treatment of the subject at the hands of some in our little a2k family......
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 01:50 pm
Those who continue to report that Bush was responsible for executions of however many people cannot be taken seriously. Such articles never seem to get around the the fact that the conviction and sentence are decided by a jury of the criminal's peers and a judge elected by the people and that well over 80% of Texans approve the current policies. The articles rarely cite the family of the victim(s)' wishes nor how many appeals were filed by counsel. The article goes on to make numerous outrageous claims.

So yes, when such absurdities are published, it is not to provide either truth or information but to promote a political agenda. I hope we finally get to the point that all such yellow journalism directed at anybody is deemed laughable.

http://www.ncpa.org/studies/s237/s237.html#c
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 03:05 pm
hi Bi-Polar Bear- I know you weren't laughing. Like I said, I just consider the sources of their failed humor. They're credibility is zero.

The Bushites can pretend Abu Ghraib doesn't matter, but it does -- it does. Big time, it does.
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 07:12 am
Deecups36:

Of course it matters. This is a huge scandal and the far right can try and minimize it with "this always happens during war," and "let's just give Rumsfeld a pass until all the facts are in," but this story has legs, and will dominate the the media for months to come.

If Bush had a brain, he'd fire Rumfeld immediately and get on with things, but he's arrogant and foolish and has a legacy of strange allegiances to people of questionable character.

I will go on record saying this story has the potential to cost Bush reelction.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 07:14 am
infowarrior wrote:
I will go on record saying this story has the potential to cost Bush reelction.

Whoa! Don't go too far out on that limb!
0 Replies

John Webb

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 09:57 am
One can only assume also that no one told Bush anything about the Texas abuses and tortures in prisons when he was Governor.

What an amazing coincidence? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 10:21 am
John Webb wrote:
One can only assume also that no one told Bush anything about the Texas abuses and tortures in prisons when he was Governor.

And of course, prison abuses never occur under democratic governors, do they? After all, evil people only commit abuses during republican terms of office.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 10:24 am
CoastalRat wrote:
John Webb wrote:

And of course, prison abuses never occur under democratic governors, do they? After all, evil people only commit abuses during republican terms of office.

Why do people have to keep turning this into a republican/democrat issue? Both are American parties, on the same side of the political spectrum. Get real - this has nothing to do with partisan politics. Bad is bad.
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 10:29 am
The article says:

As Texas governor, Bush oversaw the executions of 152 prisoners and thus became the most-killing governor in the history of the United States. Ethnic minorities, many of whom did not have access to proper legal representation, comprised a large percentage of those Bush put to death, and in one particularly egregious example, Bush executed an immigrant who hadn't even seen a consular official from his own country (as is required by the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations, to which the US was a signatory). Bush's explanation: "Texas did not sign the Vienna Convention, so why should we be subject to it?"

Sounds familiar? Two words:

Abu Ghraib.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 10:32 am
Ah, but ehBeth, I would agree it has nothing to do with partisan politics. I may not have properly stated my point. Abuses in our prison system have and will happen no matter who is governor. To try to equate that tothe matter of Iraqi prisoners in order to make a point that Bush is somehow doing the same thing now in regards to them as he did in Texas is just ridiculous.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 10:36 am
And as for the executions in Texas, apparently nobody bothered to check out the link in my previous post.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 10:44 am
Deecups36 wrote:
The article says:

As Texas governor, Bush oversaw the executions of 152 prisoners and thus became the most-killing governor in the history of the United States.

You are right Dee. Bush is a killer. He oversaw the legal execution of people convicted by a jury and sentenced by a judge to die for their crimes. So that makes Bush a killer. So is Ann Richards, who oversaw the execution of 48 prisoners while she was governor. Should I list all the other governors of Texas who are also killers? How about all the governors of other states?

I just don't see where this has any bearing on actions in Iraq. And those of you who keep trying to make a connection are doing so for partisan reasons, not from any sense of logical reasoning.
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 10:48 am
The irony is, despite Bush frequent use of the terms "good and evil," it's clear he doesn't believe in that system.
0 Replies