TONY Awards, 2004

Miller

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 12:45 pm
At least New York City dancers are far better than those from the State of California. Cool
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 01:06 pm
Stage dancers of course gravitate towards the New York Stage as the Hollywood film musical went by the wayside. It used to be that Broadway would borrow a lot of dancers from the MGM lot, for instance. NYC is where musical theater was born (at least, the musical comedy) as an established art (Gilbert and Sullivan, Offenbach and other light opera perveyors are the European roots). There are still some fine stage dancers residing in the LA area -- there are regional shows that do not borrow from the NY stock. AIDS created a crisis in dancing talent in the 90's but it's rebounding.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 05:38 pm
I notice the difference in technique primarily in Jazz dance. The California dancers, look to me, like they're practicing what they learn in dance class.

The New York dancers, always looked more fluid and professional to me,when they're performing Jazz .
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 08:51 pm
I'm not sure how one can tell California dancers from New York City dancers. Are they wearing badges or can you tell from the tans?
0 Replies

bree

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 08:56 pm
Here's the New York Times's take on how "Avenue Q" pulled it off:

"Avenue Q" Tony Coup Is Buzz of Broadway
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 06:07 am
Lightwizard wrote:
I'm not sure how one can tell California dancers from New York City dancers. Are they wearing badges or can you tell from the tans?

If you've studied Jazz dance, it should be easy to differentiate between NYCity and California dancers. NY dancers' bodies flow with the music as their souls mesh with the musical beat. California dancers all look like they just made it through Jazz Dance 101 and are now on their way to level 102. Their bodies look "jerky", while in motion. Not a professional appearance fo sure.

Basically, I've noticed that the California dancers put most of their Jazz warmup routines into their dances. This makes them look, to me, less professional than the dancers from NY.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 06:57 am
The California dancers I've known for the past fifty years all went to NYC schools.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 07:00 am
bree wrote:
... to Veanne Cox (in LW's photograph, with Tonya Pinkins) as the little boy's stepmother (she's one of those New York theater actors who toil away for years, always giving good performances and never getting a lot of name recognition).

Do you ever wonder about actors like this one, who work all the time and are well-respected amongst their peers, is that enough of a career or do they feel as if fame has eluded them and their career is lacking because of it?
0 Replies

bree

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 07:37 am
Interesting question, eoe. There's a great movie documentary called In the Shadow of the Stars, which came out in 1991, that explores similar issues. The movie consists of interviews with several members of the chorus of the San Francisco Opera, in which these singers -- many of whom started out thinking they were going to be famous opera singers themselves -- discuss how feel about ending up "in the shadow of the stars." For many of them, just being able to make a living by singing is enough; others always think about "what if." There's probably pretty much the same range of responses among theater actors who never achieve fame.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 09:41 am
I actually worked with Veanne Cox about 10 years ago in summer stock. She had a great attitude then, as I'm sure she still does, about loving what she does and not being all about the $$.

The best actors I've known are people you've never heard of. I'm sure there are hundreds of amazing performers who will never be famous or rich, but who have a career in regional theatre or off-B'way or wherever they can find work.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 01:13 pm
Talk about bridging the gap? Miss Carol Channing and LL Cool J having a ball! http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/2004/06/06/arts/07tony_slide10.jpg

hope the image shows up. It's great!!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 01:25 pm
I loved "Boy from OZ" - but then, I saw it in Sydney, with Todd McKenney, and I'm from here - so appreciated it more. And I hate musicals!

But Hugh Jackman is cute!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 03:24 pm
LL Cool J and Carol -- highlight of the show.
0 Replies

pumpkin-123

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 09:31 am
Wanted VHS tape of 2004 Tony Awards.
I am looking for a copy of this year's Tony Awards. I mail a copy to my brother in Scotland every year, this year it went missing in the mail. I would really appreciate any info that could help me obtain this. Thanks!!!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 11:47 am
Welcome to A2K, pumpkin. Sorry, but I've taped over my copy. Have you tried ebay, etc.?
0 Replies

pumpkin-123

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2004 06:35 pm
Thanks for the welcome mac 11. I have tried looking on ebay with no luck, just saw some tapes of previous years.
0 Replies

bree

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 01:22 pm
I thought this story, which appears today on the website of New York 1 (a local cable news station), would be of interest to people who have been following this thread:

Almost anyone who works or lives in Midtown Manhattan will be affected by the Republican National Convention later this month, and that includes Broadway shows.

The struggling shows "Frozen," "Caroline, or Change" and "Little Shop of Horrors" plan to cut their losses and close before the convention begins at Madison Square Garden.

"Frozen" will close permanently on August 22nd after a four-month run.

"Caroline, or Change" will end its four-month run the following weekend.

"Little Shop of Horrors" will also end its run, wrapping things up at the Virginia Theater also on the 22nd.

Labor Day weekend is traditionally slow for Broadway and the convention is expected to make things worse.

Many streets in the theatre district will be closed and traffic will be congested, and producers say they are worried performers and audiences won't be able to get to the theater on time.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2004 12:35 pm
A really nice interview of Hugh Jackman in the New York Times.

Exhausted but Proud, Hugh Jackman Retires His Sequins
(free registration required)
0 Replies

carterreese

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 01:15 pm
Why didn't Wicked get best musical?
0 Replies